Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Especially for you young guys.......

Art

When the preseason finally comes we are all going to be VERY excited. When we lose by 30 each preseason game, a lot of you are going to wonder what the hell is happening. Just remember, Joe Gibbs doesn't prepare the team for preseason. His excellence is in his game planning. We just go out to avoid injury during the preseason under Gibbs.

It could be very ugly. Don't panic :). It's normal.

When the preseason finally comes we are all going to be VERY excited. When we lose by 30 each preseason game, a lot of you are going to wonder what the hell is happening. Just remember, Joe Gibbs doesn't prepare the team for preseason. His excellence is in his game planning. We just go out to avoid injury during the preseason under Gibbs.

It could be very ugly. Don't panic :). It's normal.

Good reminder. If we look bad in the preseason--we will have a great season. I remember an exhibition game I went to against the Jets in Columbia, S.C. It was the last exhibition game of the season and the team looked miserable. We then went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl.

Good reminder. If we look bad in the preseason--we will have a great season. I remember an exhibition game I went to against the Jets in Columbia, S.C. It was the last exhibition game of the season and the team looked miserable. We then went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl.

It was almost ALWAYS about execution in the preseason. Watch the first half of the game. It will be the best indicator. The second half was always about evaluating talent, looking for the diamond in the rough and the solid backups.

If we play a team during preseason that is on our regular season schedule, all you will see is a vanilla game plan based on executing. You may see the same play run from slightly different formations several times just for the sake of evaluation. It may not be pretty but it should not be terribly sloppy either.

It was almost ALWAYS about execution in the preseason. Watch the first half of the game. It will be the best indicator. The second half was always about evaluating talent, looking for the diamond in the rough and the solid backups.

If we play a team during preseason that is on our regular season schedule, all you will see is a vanilla game plan based on executing. You may see the same play run from slightly different formations several times just for the sake of evaluation. It may not be pretty but it should not be terribly sloppy either.

Thanks for the heads up Art,

I would be really worried if I saw that and nobody warned me.

I have another question about Gibbs, i mean i know a lot about him and worship the man, i slightly remember the superbowl in 91 but am not old enough to realize what was really happening. Anyways, does he like young players or what?? Is he like George Allen and hates rookies. Or is he okay with starting a rookie at say running back. I know he had Timmy Smith but I just wasnt sure.

Thanks for the heads up Art,

I would be really worried if I saw that and nobody warned me.

I have another question about Gibbs, i mean i know a lot about him and worship the man, i slightly remember the superbowl in 91 but am not old enough to realize what was really happening. Anyways, does he like young players or what?? Is he like George Allen and hates rookies. Or is he okay with starting a rookie at say running back. I know he had Timmy Smith but I just wasnt sure.

Skins26, Gibbs teams rarely started rookies, although that was before FA and the salary cap, so personnel restrictions may force more of that. I remember that LB Andre Collins was the first rookie to start at LB ever for Gibbs, and that was in 1991 IIRC; he was also the only rookie to start for Gibbs that year.

The only place I'd expect you to see a rookie start for us this year would be at RB, or d-line (no more than one), barring injury. While we need help at safety and TE too, those positions carry much more responsibility in terms reading, blitz pickup, etc, so I'd expect that he'll go with vets there; plus at TE, blocking skills usually aren't posessed by many rookies there anyway, and Gibbs likes to use his TE's to block.

Skins26, Gibbs teams rarely started rookies, although that was before FA and the salary cap, so personnel restrictions may force more of that. I remember that LB Andre Collins was the first rookie to start at LB ever for Gibbs, and that was in 1991 IIRC; he was also the only rookie to start for Gibbs that year.

The only place I'd expect you to see a rookie start for us this year would be at RB, or d-line (no more than one), barring injury. While we need help at safety and TE too, those positions carry much more responsibility in terms reading, blitz pickup, etc, so I'd expect that he'll go with vets there; plus at TE, blocking skills usually aren't posessed by many rookies there anyway, and Gibbs likes to use his TE's to block.

Good call Art.. may as well warn the young'ns now.

Going into each season Gibbs will have you believe the team couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag.

That's a good sign that all is well within the realm.

Oh, and if some of the players come down with "blood disorders" and have to wait a year on the practice squad don't fret. Gibbs keeps a stash box.

~Bang

Good call Art.. may as well warn the young'ns now.

Going into each season Gibbs will have you believe the team couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag.

That's a good sign that all is well within the realm.

Oh, and if some of the players come down with "blood disorders" and have to wait a year on the practice squad don't fret. Gibbs keeps a stash box.

~Bang

Seriously, Bang. For those of you with copies of the '88 Super Bowl, you'll notice Mark Rypien, ahem, convelscing very nicely on the sideline of that game. He had the clap for something like three years before he saw the field for us. :laugh:

Seriously, Bang. For those of you with copies of the '88 Super Bowl, you'll notice Mark Rypien, ahem, convelscing very nicely on the sideline of that game. He had the clap for something like three years before he saw the field for us. :laugh:

Archived