Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ref Watch 2023

Koolblue13

See? The game may not be flat out rigged, it might not even be rigged at all, but those of you who look at this and think others are crazy for thinking it is rigged... I think you should lay off.

I've always believed in the back of my mind that the refs were at least trying to sway the game in a team's favor. All the tools, tech and money at the NFL's disposal and this is the result? It wouldn't shock me to learn that the refs are incompetent so the NFL has probable deniability. You can see New York had no problem swooping in and changing our specific call for some reason, but they can't apply that to the rest of the game...or any other part of the game to protect the integrity of the NFL? Bull****! This is clearly what the NFL wants.

Edited by Simmsy
  • Thumb up 1

Golly and they're so blatant and obvious. You'd think someone involved would be smarter.

Or would you....dunt dunt dah! 

Reffing is pretty sadass if you have high standards for how a top level sport league should operated and that's not been disputed.

No debate about bad calls having significant effect, though they are not often ultimately decisive, on the outcome.

But it's not that hard to find more likely explanations (as I listed previously in the gameday thread) than such blatantly head scratching calls are deliberately made to make certain games end in certain ways.

Just thinking about it thoroughly with an informed analytical process should provide all kinds of major obstacles to making such a thing on any kind of organized scale reliably workable.

Minus a fair amount of actual credible evidence supporting such speculation it's pretty silly to assume that it would not only become a large agreed-to conspiracy involving hundreds of people but it then would be implemented at a keystone cops level.

Nah, no "laying off" here. It's intellectually feeble to decide there's some organized intention to use officiating to "manage" seasonal storylines for the league.

They make increasingly crazy money just as it is without utilizing such a ridiculously hard to manage tool of supposed subterfuge, especially when the calls in question involve no subtlety at all and stand out like eyesores well covered by a vast number of media outlets.

Never underestimate the capacity of human incompetence to appear frequently in reffing, or random cases of individual biases that actually are likely to occur and should be rooted out (and the NFL may well be guilty of weak quality control here).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know where to put this, so I'll put this here:

NFL suspends cameraman over reaction to Tyreek Hill backflip-selfie celebration 'possibly for good'

The NFL has suspended a cameraman for the rest of the season and 'possibly for good' over his role in Tyreek Hill's viral touchdown celebration in Week 6. Miami Dolphins wide receiver Hill celebrated a touchdown he scored against the Carolina Panthers by taking a phone from Fitzgibbons and recording a selfie of himself doing a backflip, which he was penalized for on the day. At the time Fitzgibbons was working as a cameraman for the league.

The NFL is a joke! You're going to ruin this kid's career over that? While not punishing the player at all? All the while, this is what the NFL chooses to focus on instead of fixing any of the officiating, the NFL can't be taken seriously.

4 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I don't know where to put this, so I'll put this here:

NFL suspends cameraman over reaction to Tyreek Hill backflip-selfie celebration 'possibly for good'

The NFL is a joke! You're going to ruin this kid's career over that? While not punishing the player at all? All the while, this is what the NFL chooses to focus on instead of fixing any of the officiating, the NFL can't be taken seriously.

Hill says he'll pay the salary to the cameraman the NFL was going to pay him.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article282507643.html