Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jartavius Martin S/CB Illinois Fighting Illini

zCommander

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I take it you dislike the draft pick? Saying a corners weakness is his coverage is kind of damning.

He was technically a safety in college, though he played a majority of snaps in the slot.   His run grade was a 91 last year and coverage grade was a 66.  He gave up 42 receptions for 611, which is a lot, albeit, without knowing the scheme its hard to put that number in context.  He is a versatile guy in coverage, he can cover the slot, play deep, play outside corner if need be, or play in the box and because of his versatility we should be able to disguise what he is doing.  But he was not an elite coverage in college.  

In terms of the pick, I would have taken an O-Lineman, but I think Martin will be fine

1 minute ago, philibusters said:

He was technically a safety in college, though he played a majority of snaps in the slot.   His run grade was a 91 last year and coverage grade was a 66.  He gave up 42 receptions for 611, which is a lot, albeit, without knowing the scheme its hard to put that number in context.  He is a versatile guy in coverage, he can cover the slot, play deep, play outside corner if need be, or play in the box and because of his versatility we should be able to disguise what he is doing.  But he was not an elite coverage in college.  

In terms of the pick, I would have taken an O-Lineman, but I think Martin will be fine

I think in watching film he was better than that grade except for some plays where he thinks he knows what's happening, overcommits and is then wrong. I wouldn't say it was just gambling, but more of a "I think I have this, let's see if I can dominate the play".

Ok...so would have taken an OL, but think Martin was a fine pick in the 2nd round? You must also think his coverage has potential if it's his weakness but he's a fine 2nd rounder.

• 1 month later...

Martin getting some love in the national press:

https://www.nfl.com/news/projecting-the-2023-nfl-defensive-special-teams-all-rookie-team-14-instant-impac

DB

College: Illinois

Drafted: Round 2, No. 47 overall

Martin slides into the Commanders' nickel spot, challenging slot receivers with his quick feet and tenacity. He can be an effective blitzer, as well, and will handle his run responsibilities from the get-go.

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...