Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Exclusive: Tons of uranium missing from Libyan site, IAEA tells member states

China

Exclusive: Tons of uranium missing from Libyan site, IAEA tells member states

U.N. nuclear watchdog inspectors have found that roughly 2.5 tons of natural uranium have gone missing from a Libyan site that is not under government control, the watchdog told member states in a statement on Wednesday seen by Reuters.

The finding is the result of an inspection originally planned for last year that "had to be postponed because of the security situation in the region" and was finally carried out on Tuesday, according to the confidential statement by International Atomic Energy Agency chief Rafael Grossi.

IAEA inspectors "found that 10 drums containing approximately 2.5 tons of natural uranium in the form of UOC (uranium ore concentrate) previously declared by (Libya) ... as being stored at that location were not present at the location," the one-page statement said.

"The loss of knowledge about the present location of nuclear material may present a radiological risk, as well as nuclear security concerns," it said, adding that reaching the site required "complex logistics".

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

I read this initially and just left the thread without comment. This should be something that should be worrisome or shocking. 

But right after I left, I thought “I obviously don’t care. It’s Wednesday right? Yep, it’sa day of the week. That means abnormal **** is going down and instead of being concerned, I’m like yep, par for the course.”

i think I’m just becoming immune to all of the awful things humans have to offer. Which is sad. 

• Sad 1

Libya uranium: Missing barrels recovered, say eastern forces

Armed forces in eastern Libya say they have found about two and a half tonnes of uranium ore that were reported missing by the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Ten drums containing the ore were found near the border with Chad, said the head of the forces' media unit.

The IAEA said it was "actively working to verify" media reports.

The agency sounded the alarm after a visit by its inspectors earlier this week to the undisclosed site.

The area was not in government-controlled territory.

Uranium is a naturally-occurring element that can have nuclear-related uses once it has been refined, or enriched.

The uranium which went missing could not be made into a nuclear weapon in its current state, but could be used as the raw material for a nuclear weapons programme, experts told the BBC.

Click on the link for the full article