Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jimmy Johnson on Gibbs: According to Mort

NoCalMike

Money is always an issue. However, there is no way that the money is the driving force here. Gibbs isn't the kind of guy to be driven just by financial gain. He has too much personal integrity and pride to not give it is all for reasons other than money..

Money is always an issue. However, there is no way that the money is the driving force here. Gibbs isn't the kind of guy to be driven just by financial gain. He has too much personal integrity and pride to not give it is all for reasons other than money..

This is a good thread on many levels.

1) I see all the euphoria on the site today... well founded of course, but Gibbs isn't god. His being a Christian or having good character doesn't really have anything to do with him getting paid well to do a job. His character may come into question only if he seems lazy doing the job, something that no one should question.

2) Anything Jimmy Johnson says should be thrown into the toilet where it belongs. Just my opinion.

3) If Riggins said what has been claimed here, then once again, #1 applies.

4) What we know about Gibbs is that he is a proven winner, and he has proven it with talent that has not been thought of as "the best in the league". He understands facets of the game that many of our previous coaches have not understood as well- in particular, I would say, Spurrier and Turner. I don't think either of those coaches understood the psychological part of the game, something that Gibbs does understand.

I think we have a lot of reason to be confident, and I didn't feel I would have much reason to be confident following the way we faced our division rivals at the end of the year. If he's coaching for money, that's fine, as long as he's giving it his all. As some of my friends who favor opposing teams have said today- we should be fairly confident that coaching isn't the issue if we struggle this year (assuming Gibbs is trying- and if he wasn't really trying, I'm not sure he would want personnel control, which is what I had heard...).

This is a good thread on many levels.

1) I see all the euphoria on the site today... well founded of course, but Gibbs isn't god. His being a Christian or having good character doesn't really have anything to do with him getting paid well to do a job. His character may come into question only if he seems lazy doing the job, something that no one should question.

2) Anything Jimmy Johnson says should be thrown into the toilet where it belongs. Just my opinion.

3) If Riggins said what has been claimed here, then once again, #1 applies.

4) What we know about Gibbs is that he is a proven winner, and he has proven it with talent that has not been thought of as "the best in the league". He understands facets of the game that many of our previous coaches have not understood as well- in particular, I would say, Spurrier and Turner. I don't think either of those coaches understood the psychological part of the game, something that Gibbs does understand.

I think we have a lot of reason to be confident, and I didn't feel I would have much reason to be confident following the way we faced our division rivals at the end of the year. If he's coaching for money, that's fine, as long as he's giving it his all. As some of my friends who favor opposing teams have said today- we should be fairly confident that coaching isn't the issue if we struggle this year (assuming Gibbs is trying- and if he wasn't really trying, I'm not sure he would want personnel control, which is what I had heard...).

Originally posted by riggins44

Of course the money was a factor, but also read he wanted his grand children to see what he did before NASCAR.

Gibbs is a competitor and you know seeing Parcells and Vermiel

back got him interested in coaching again.

I agree with this, and would also like to add that Gibbs did not come back to any team but the Redskins. Do you think he wasn't / would not have been offered anything lucrative from other teams, i.e. the Falcons where he already had some amount of ownership? I think he seems loyal, and I also think that like other coaches of his caliber, he probably would not come back if he really thought he would be unsuccessful in the situation.

Originally posted by riggins44

Of course the money was a factor, but also read he wanted his grand children to see what he did before NASCAR.

Gibbs is a competitor and you know seeing Parcells and Vermiel

back got him interested in coaching again.

I agree with this, and would also like to add that Gibbs did not come back to any team but the Redskins. Do you think he wasn't / would not have been offered anything lucrative from other teams, i.e. the Falcons where he already had some amount of ownership? I think he seems loyal, and I also think that like other coaches of his caliber, he probably would not come back if he really thought he would be unsuccessful in the situation.

Money, of course, he got paid well (in then year comparisons) previously and if someone wanted me to come in and fix a problem franchise and have me spend all my time working on it (which he will do), I would expect to be compensated. He seems to be getting the deal Steve got, sounds fair to me, not like he said I need 8 mil a year or something, pay me what you paid the last guy and give me control and we're in business...

Money, of course, he got paid well (in then year comparisons) previously and if someone wanted me to come in and fix a problem franchise and have me spend all my time working on it (which he will do), I would expect to be compensated. He seems to be getting the deal Steve got, sounds fair to me, not like he said I need 8 mil a year or something, pay me what you paid the last guy and give me control and we're in business...

Originally posted by aREDSKIN

$25 million + $40 million 5% of ownership @800 million= $65 million- a ton of money that anyone would coach for IMO. These are approximate figures that have been recently reported.

The Redskins are worth over a BILLION now. Forgot where I saw it, but I am about 100% sure. We are one of the top three, if not THE top, valued sports franchise in the world.

Originally posted by aREDSKIN

$25 million + $40 million 5% of ownership @800 million= $65 million- a ton of money that anyone would coach for IMO. These are approximate figures that have been recently reported.

The Redskins are worth over a BILLION now. Forgot where I saw it, but I am about 100% sure. We are one of the top three, if not THE top, valued sports franchise in the world.

Archived