Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watching Carr what reminds you of Wentz stlylistically?

Carr doesn't have the arm that Wentz has, but yes, statistically they are very similar.  Carr puts up more yards and less touchdowns than Wentz does on average, however.  

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Anti-retread, pro non-splashy QB move.  

Will we somehow be drafting Mishew or will we be his 3rd team? 

Carr is a starter, Minshew is a back up. I'd prefer that QB room to Wentz and Heini.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Carr doesn't have the arm that Wentz has, but yes, statistically they are very similar.  Carr puts up more yards and less touchdowns than Wentz does on average, however.  

Wentz has one of the best long balls, but Carr has a top 10 arm. He's just better at the short stuff than Wentz.

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

How are they stylistically similar though?   Just saying they are doesn't answer the question.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Will we somehow be drafting Mishew or will we be his 3rd team? 

Carr is a starter, Minshew is a back up. I'd prefer that QB room to Wentz and Heini.

I got to sit down and watch 4 games or so of Minshew, I plan to do it.  I do like his rep for moxie -- and I don't mean that sarcastically. 

It's not that I've never watched him in games, but its different for me at least when I just zero in on the QB.  Should be a fun watch. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to sit down and watch 4 games or so of Minshew, I plan to do it.  I do like his rep for moxie -- and I don't mean that sarcastically. 

He's Heinicke with a very slightly better arm and is more will to take off, but not fast or anything. He makes so bad throws. I watch mainly the Eagles Cowboys this week and he's definitely why the Eagles lost. That and injuries.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Minshew coming here is under the presumption that he would be in a competition with Howell and another QB via the draft.  

That's a terrible idea.

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

How are they stylitically similar though?   Just saying they are doesn't answer the question.  

I said statistically they are similar.  Stylistically, not really.  I do think Carr is more mobile and not a head case like Wentz.  But he's never overly impressed me in any way.  

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

He's Heinicke with a very slightly better arm and is more will to take off, but not fast or anything. He makes so bad throws. I watch mainly the Eagles Cowboys this week and he's definitely why the Eagles lost. That and injuries.

OK, cool, as I've been saying I got an open mind really to anyone sans Darnold or Heinicke being the starter. :ols:

And I am intrigued by Howell but only they know how he's looking.  As Kurk Warner said recently you don't know about a college QB one way or another until they play some pro games.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I said statistically they are similar.  Stylistically, not really.  I do think Carr is more mobile and not a head case like Wentz.  But he's never overly impressed me in any way.  

Yeah I know he's having an off year.  You said he's Carson Wentz with eyeliner, so assuming you are referncing he plays the same way.  

As for stats, yeah he's having an off year.   Depends on what QB metric you use though still.  But I don't care that much about outlier stats when you got a wide sample of a career.   Stat wise in general Carr matches his reputation trough his career which is good albiet not great. 

If we are going purely on stats, Carr is Joe Montana level good as to comebacks and being clutch.  That's not what Wentz has majored in recent years.

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 7.35.03 AM.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Stat wise in general Carr matches his reputation which is good albiet not great. 

Which...is what Wentz's reputation was prior to coming here.  

Wentz career stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WentCa00.htm#2016-2022-sum:passing

Carr career stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm#2014-2022-sum:passing

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Did you watch the game?

Yes, he was a reason they lost but "definitely" not the reason.

Edited by DJHJR86

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Wentz career stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WentCa00.htm#2016-2022-sum:passing

Carr career stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm#2014-2022-sum:passing

I could have sworn the Colts blamed him the collapse of their season and traded him away, after using a first for him, from a team that dumped him after giving him a monster contract.

Wentz did not have a good reputation prior to coming here. 

8 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

So suddenly the time isn't Howell?!  

If you can't over take Taylor Heinicke and Caron Wentz on the depth chart? No.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I know he's having an off year.  You said he's Carson Wentz with eyeliner, so assuming you are referncing he plays the same way.  

As for stats, yeah he's having an off year.   Depends on what QB metric you use though still.  But I don't care that much about outliet stats when you got a wide sample of a career.   Stat wise in general Carr matches his reputation which is good albiet not great. 

If we are going on stats, Carr is Joe Montana level good as to comebacks and being clutch.  That's not what Wentz has majored in recent years,

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 7.35.03 AM.png

Then again, Wentz was 9th in QBR just last year when everybody said he's the main reason the Colts failed to make the playoffs.

Edited by Vandelay_Industries

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I could have sworn the Colts blamed him the collapse of their season and traded him away, after using a first for him, from a team that dumped him after giving him a monster contract.

Wentz was seen as the scapegoat for an impulsive owner who was bitter that they missed the playoffs because of the final game of the season.  People were touting his QBR last year and his stats from that season.  Good, but not great.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If you can't over take Taylor Heinicke and Caron Wentz on the depth chart? No.

We're talking about next season, not this season.  

13 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Wentz career stats:

Carr career stats:

Yes, he was a reason they lost but "definitely" not the reason.

Wentz had injuries that changed his game.  His last season in Philly was awful. His last season with the Colts when the Colts majored in passing they struggled, when they toned that down and majored in running Wentz was much better.

Carr has been the lead dance with the Raiders they've put the game on his shoulders, iromically a little less this year in his down year.  But he's about to go for his 5th season in a row with plus 4000 years.  Wentz has only gone 4000 or above once in his career. 

Carr with the exception of this year is known to be a gamer, Wentz not so much. 

I posted a personnel guy flat out saying Carr >> Wentz on this thread just the other day.

Different types of dudes.  Different reputations.  Different types of game which I've described before.  Totally different context to judge them, too.

Neither is great.  Wentz as we talked about here is a league punchline arguably undeserved but there are personnel guys who think Wentz sucks.  That matertial was posted here.  Hard to find personnel guys quoted saying Carr sucks.  Carr isn't a punchline.  Wentz deserved or not is a league punchline.  Apples to oranges.

Is Carr a great QB.  Nope.  He's good, not great.  As far as Wentz goes if I thought he was good, I'd want him back.  Right now I am somewhere between the people in the league who see him as a punchline and the idea he's good.  I'd say based on what I've seen he's below average.  But will see if he plays that way now, maybe he will bounce back with a game plan like Indy that puts the onus on the running game. 

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Wentz was seen as the scapegoat for an impulsive owner who was bitter that they missed the playoffs because of the final game of the season.  People were touting his QBR last year and his stats from that season.  Good, but not great.

We're talking about next season, not this season.  

I'm starting to think you don't watch football at all and definitely saw zero snaps of the Eagles game. Games tied 34-34. Minshew pick. 34-37 Cowboys. Eagles driving at the end. Redzone pick on a horrible pass. Minshew. 

Wentz reputation, that was us here on here and not even everyone. The national media put all the blame on him, to the point some folks started to speak up.

Howell isn't going to turn into a great starting QB over the offseason. This team is built to win. I'm not resigning Heinicke or signing mustached Heinicke to tank that. 

18 minutes ago, Vandelay_Industries said:

Then again, Wentz was 9th in QBR just last year when everybody said he's the main reason the Colts failed to make the playoffs.

Sure, but what does that have to do with my point?   Wentz has had some up and downs with QBR.  I don't think you'll find too many people who describe Carr and Wentz as the same player.

Stats are all over the place, here's the QBR rankings the season before for Wentz.  Some in common with the two statisitcally, plenty not.  But I don't really give a rats behind either way. 

I like to watch the QBs and make apples to apples comparisons.    Not saying I am on the money when I do it, but to formulate my opinion, there is a limit to how much i am fixated on stats.    But purely on stats, Carr has done good -- it absolutely matches his reputation for being "good" not great. And yes this has been his worst season in a long time, he wouldn't be available otherwise.  Some blame that on McDaniels.  

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 7.58.31 AM.png

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, cool, as I've been saying I got an open mind really to anyone sans Darnold or Heinicke being the starter. :ols:

And I am intrigued by Howell but only they know how he's looking.  As Kurk Warner said recently you don't know about a college QB one way or another until they play some pro games.

Kurk Warner” lol. Bruce, is that you?😂

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm starting to think you don't watch football at all and definitely saw zero snaps of the Eagles game. Games tied 34-34. Minshew pick. 34-37 Cowboys. Eagles driving at the end. Redzone pick on a horrible pass. Minshew. 

You are just making things up at this point.  The Eagles had Dallas on a 3rd and 30 with 8 minutes to go up by seven and they gave up that deep bomb to TY Hilton which led to 7 to tie the game.  Then Gardner Minshew threw a bad pick which resulted in a 37-34 Cowboys score.  Then Gardner Minshew handed the ball off to Sanders who fumbled the ball back to Dallas.  But yes, that was all on Minshew.