Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another reply from Swanson.

Art

Not necessarily good news either for those hoping the interview of Rhodes is simply a ruse to get him to be our DC. I wrote a couple of messages to Swanson. The second was that I think most fans of the team do not appreciate Rhodes' merits as to being interviewed at all. It was in response to the form response he had saying no decisions were made.

I essentially just wrote that while we're glad there are no decisions made, part of the problem is it's hard for most fans to comprehend the merits of even bothering to do the interview.

His response was a simple:

"i believe you are correct when you say "most fans don't appreciate why the team would interview Rhodes."

This response tells me several things.

That a NUMBER of fans have sent messages against Rhodes. That he is seeing them. And, that despite the letters, the fans aren't the ones who are going to make this decision because by in large they don't appreciate what qualifications Rhodes does have. That the team does view him as a qualified candidate under whatever set of criteria it has decided to employ.

I think we kind of know and knew he is a candidate with a legitimate chance at the job here. I think we know now the team will decide this regardless of fan input which, again, may be a good thing or it may be a very bad one. I can't decide.

Originally posted by Art

I think we know now the team will decide this regardless of fan input which, again, may be a good thing or it may be a very bad one. I can't decide.

your kidding right?

You are basically questioning the FO which you defend all the time.

Originally posted by jbooma

your kidding right?

You are basically questioning the FO which you defend all the time.

Uh, no, JB. I do not defend them all the time. I defend them when they deserve defending. When morons claim Taylor Jacobs was a bad pick, I'm bound to attempt to raise just how ignorant and baseless that is, and just how sound the reasoning and pick of Jacobs was, whether he ever does anything in the pros or not.

However, when the front office takes Dockery over Eason, as an example, I find it questionable. I was wrong, obviously, as Dockery has done great. I thought not taking Weaver and instead taking Betts was a horrendous move. Said so at the time. I understood the rationale as we did need a backup runner, but, it still wasn't the right rationale in my view and I didn't like that direction.

I have been critical of releasing Wuerffel as it seemed to be mostly pointless. You only defend that which is clearly acceptable and even good. You need to appreciate the difference.

Originally posted by Art

Uh, no, JB. I do not defend them all the time. I defend them when they deserve defending.

I can accept that.

Now don't you see it as bad if the team were to take our advice, think about it what NFL team takes the fan advice on players or coaches?? To me it sends a message to them that we (the fans) think we are smarter then who currently is making the decisions.

That is not a good thing. This is why I call this FO a joke sometimes.

Originally posted by The Mad Cowbell

sad thing is.......we don't own the team. He does and will do what he feels best.

Yeah but the fans don't have to support a lousy product on the field. If attendance drops off or season ticket sales drop off -- which reduces revenue and income -- I guarantee you will get the attention of the front office. :laugh:

I do not defend them all the time. I defend them when they deserve defending. When morons claim Taylor Jacobs was a bad pick, I'm bound to attempt to raise just how ignorant and baseless that is, and just how sound the reasoning and pick of Jacobs was, whether he ever does anything in the pros or not.

I can't understand why you're a Jacobs defender, Mrs Cerrato. That was a Spurrier pick. Cerrato wanted Doss, Spurrier wanted Jacobs (and 3rd string WR was a much lower priority than a lot of other positions), and Snyder sided with Spurrier. We all know Spurrier is a lousy judge of talent based on all the ex-Gators he brought in.

You're arguing he was the best player available, but Cerrato the the scouts disagree with you, right? They wanted Doss. Jacobs was neither the best player available nor was he a "need" pick. He was a bad pick. You're siding with Spurrier, not with the FO.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Yeah but the fans don't have to support a lousy product on the field. If attendance drops off or season ticket sales drop off, I guarantee you will get the attention of the front office. :laugh:

we suck ballz and somehow he turns a huge profit while Modell up the road was so bad at it, that he changed cities and is now selling his majority interest. We're all Sheep.

Originally posted by Even Madder

I can't understand why you're a Jacobs defender, Mrs Cerrato. That was a Spurrier pick. Cerrato wanted Doss, Spurrier wanted Jacobs (and 3rd string WR was a much lower priority than a lot of other positions), and Snyder sided with Spurrier. We all know Spurrier is a lousy judge of talent based on all the ex-Gators he brought in.

You're arguing he was the best player available, but Cerrato the the scouts disagree with you, right? They wanted Doss. Jacobs was neither the best player available nor was he a "need" pick. He was a bad pick. You're siding with Spurrier, not with the FO.

There has been more than one story about the Jacobs pick. Right after the draft it was said that Spurrier wouldn't pull the trigger on Jacobs because he wanted to avoid the Florida stigma. Essentially Snyder simply pointed to our draft board and said this is a guy who's too good to pass up. And that was our pick. It is possible that Cerrato was hoping to go with Doss -- as our "first" pick is a combination of need and rating rather than just rating.

We've seen the war room story change more than once on this pick. What we know is we were very lucky he was there. He was uniformly considered the best prospect. He seemed to be an ideal fit in our offense -- and was said to be having a very strong camp before his injury -- and you simply don't pass up guys you were thinking of taking with the No. 13 pick when they are sitting there in the second round.

This is such a no-brainer pick you can't avoid the admission that it was good. I realize you won't admit it, but that's because you just like changing your position every couple of weeks to be firmly out front of any trending you see.

I swear to Allah.....you two drag this same argument all over the board.

Can't we all agree that RuBucs was a jerk?

Hey. Don't blame me. I've got to yappy little mutts who seem to need to make every thread about the same thing that follow me around everywhere I go. It's flattering really :).

This is such a no-brainer pick you can't avoid the admission that it was good. I realize you won't admit it, but that's because you just like changing your position every couple of weeks to be firmly out front of any trending you see.

And you keep your opinion that Snyder/Cerrato are doing excellent work despite all evidence to the contrary. Remember that hobgoblin of little minds?

But no, Jacobs was not a no-brainer pick. You say he was "uniformly considered the best prospect". He wasn't. He slipped because, as ESPN put it, "Most teams ranked Jacobs a first-round player but he slipped when some scouts perceived he isn't quite tough enough." Not even the Skins front office thought so.

Turns out they were right.

Bottom line is it is Snyder's decision the only thing we can do is have every member of the board send an email (5,000 emails) complaining and voicing our disgust as how this organization is being run into the ground. Sooner or later the message will get through to this billionaire egomaniac

Jacobs was uniformly considered the best prospect available when we picked. He slipped because of the "toughness" thing. He remained the best prospect available when we picked. Not only in every draft guide or other publication we could point to but also our own internal ratings.

The Skins front office did think so, and here is where you allow a fantasy idea to run your entire theory at the expense of facts.

At the time of the draft, here's what Spurrier said:

"Our owner, Dan Snyder, when the choice became available, he said, 'Gosh, we were thinking about drafting him with the 13th pick, and now we've got a chance to go get him with the 44th. We've got to do it.' ... He and [personnel director] Vinny [Cerrato] and myself and really everybody in there, we said this is the best player we can draft."

Cerrato said of all the scenarios that had come up with No. 44, no one thought it was possible Jacobs would be there. When he was, the team made the obvious move. I suspect Doss was the guy he had pegged for us before Jacobs fell though.

In fact, the published FACTS of the draft day aftermath suggest Spurrier had to be overruled in this pick. Snyder broke the tie. Spurrier didn't name Jacobs as his pick. According to this passage in a post draft wrap up.

"If Taylor Jacobs had not been available, we probably would not have drafted a receiver with this pick," Spurrier said. "Sometimes you say, 'Hey, you can't pass on this player.' "

The coach really likes his former Gator, believing Jacobs has the speed, hands and athleticism to be a productive pro. But the recent NFL history of Gators offensive stars — including Spurrier's botched experiment with former Florida quarterbacks and wide receivers last year — left him reluctant to push too hard.

"That's why owner Dan Snyder made the final call," Spurrier said. "[ultimately,] I had to say, 'Forget he's from Florida. Rate him on his ability as a player.' "

Ultimately, after Snyder broke the tie, Spurrier had to say, fine, forget he's from Florida and just rate him as a player. Seems this suggests Spurrier didn't want him and had to have two people overrule him.

Part of the issue you're having here is you are attempting to cobble a rumor together and make it substantial. In fact, the rumor appears to simply be a poor application of history. Without question we ALL knew we were targeting Doss with No. 44. That was the strategy we knew ahead of time and saw in almost every draft recap. We'd have taken Doss with that pick. And then something splendid happened. A highly rated prospect fell to us.

We smartly didn't pass it up.

Here's what Spurrier said in the AP article afterward.

Stung by the failures of his former college players last year, Spurrier couldn't believe Florida receiver Taylor Jacobs was still available when the Washington Redskins had their first pick Saturday in the NFL draft.

Owner Dan Snyder made Jacobs the No. 44 overall selection, even though the coach was expressing some draft-room hesitation.

"Certainly - that's why ultimately Dan Snyder made the final call," Spurrier said. "I wasn't going to make it."

Spurrier wasn't going to make it. He was the guy who was against the pick. Snyder sided with the smart decision and went with draft grades. Everyone in the room knew he was the best player available. You did. I did. The world did. Because in one of those rare moments, he was a guy everyone had rated as the best player available. Some teams simply draft with need playing a primary role in selections more than pure grade.

sad thing is.......we don't own the team. He does and will do what he feels best.

Think he's still not trying to win?

Who knows what's really going on? We haven't heard a lot in a few days.

I tend to agree. Decided no more searching for rumors on who our next coach will be every 10 minutes. I was going to drive myself nuts over something I have no control.

The lack of news the past several days is very unlike Snyder. Does make you wonder what is going on at Redskin Park.

I think our front office is lacking, BUT, if they took advice from the fans, I'd be even more disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, but if any of us were as "smart" as we think we are, we would be coaching somewhere, moving up the ranks.

IMO, the fans are generally armchair qb's that offer easy advice in hindsight.

Archived