Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider Peep Show 1-5

bubba9497

Peep Show

By Darrell Trimble

ESPN Insider

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=1700663

Buffalo Bills: Nothing would make the Bills happier than weakening a division opponent while strengthening themselves. That could be accomplished with the hiring of Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis as their next head coach. The offensive guru met last Friday with the team, and early indications are that he left the Bills dazzled. A source familiar with the talks told the Boston Globe Weis' interview with Bills president and GM Tom Donahoe was a rousing success. Weis was described as "very impressive" and "well-prepared." Another reason that Weis might be the team's favorite is his familiarity with QB Drew Bledsoe. It appears the team will keep him for at least one more season and Weis is someone that could design a scheme to better his lack of mobility.

Green Bay Packers: QB Brett Favre practiced last week without the splint that had protected his broken right thumb for the last 11 weeks, but decided to keep it on for Sunday's wild-card playoff win over Seattle. Initially Favre decided to play without it, but reconsidered when thinking about the possible consequences. "I don't know if it's old age or what but I'm getting soft," Favre told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "I threw the ball fine without the splint this week. I didn't want to get tackled or rolling out and, knowing that it was cold, get it banged and worry about it and change the way I play. I just wanted to let it go." Given the fact the weather in Philadelphia won't be balmy come this weekend, Favre may continue to wear the protective splint at least one more week.

New England Patriots: As is the case in January, the field in Foxborough wasn't in the best condition, which was just fine with coach Bill Belichick. But the condition of the turf did not sit well with the league, and the Pats were ordered to re-sod the field, and not just in between the numbers. Crews completed the work Sunday, so when the Tennessee Titans come to town for the AFC Divisional Playoff game Saturday night it will be on a brand new field. While spokesmen for the Pats and the NFL said the decision to redo the field was a mutual one between the team and the league, sources told the Boston Herald that the NFL mandated the move.

Washington Redskins: The groundwork for Ray Rhodes coming back to Washington could be set within the next day or two. Now that his Seahawks have been eliminated from playoff contention, the Redskins are free to talk to him about their head-coaching vacancy, and according to the Washington Times, a meeting with Rhodes is expected to come today or Tuesday. The early buzz was that former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel was the favorite to land the job, but now Rhodes may have moved to the fore. However, one source close to Rhodes told the Times that the former Redskins defensive coordinator is "reluctant" to return to the organization after observing day-to-day operations in 2000, and that he is "a little skeptical" about becoming a head coach again.

Seattle Seahawks: With CB Shawn Springs and WR Darrell Jackson set to become free agents this offseason, the last thing the Seahawks need is a repeat of the last two years with LT Walter Jones. In those years the Seahawks had to designate Jones as their franchise player after contract negotiations had become contentious. But Jones may be signaling that that may be about to change. "I don't want to be a problem," he told the Seattle Times. "I want to do what it takes to get back to it. I want to get that done." Apparently, with the Seahawks making their first playoff appearance since the 1999 season, Jones likes the direction his team is headed in, and that's good news for Seahawks fans.

Dallas Cowboys: Coordinator Mike Zimmer, who led the club to the No.1 ranking in total defense, has been contacted by Nebraska and could interview for its head coaching position as early as today. According to the Dallas Morning News Zimmer flew to Nebraska on a private plane Sunday evening. Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders and Arkansas coach Houston Nutt already have turned down the job, and the Huskers want to quickly name a new head coach.

Baltimore Ravens: And the starting quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens in 2004 is&? Everyone would have said first-round pick Kyle Boller before Sunday, but that was when coach Brian Billick refused to name anyone as a starter so soon. "We have countless hours of evaluation to do, and [the quarterback position] is part of it," Billick told the Baltimore Sun. "Kyle Boller made tremendous strides for us, and we are very pleased with his progress. [but] we very much want to have Anthony Wright back and Anthony knows that. Under what circumstances and what parameters, that needs to be evaluated." The smart money is on Boller, since the Ravens gave up a pick in the first and second round to draft him last April.

So, as to the Redskins, they don't really know anything. Because Rhodes is now available for an interview and Snyder plans on talking to him "he groundwork for Ray Rhodes coming back to Washington could be set." That's not news. Fact: the Skins plan on interviewing Rhodes this week. Speculation: the groundwork is set.

As for the Bills job -- I am on record at this site as saying Weis is the guy I want.

Originally posted by Ernie5

So, as to the Redskins, they don't really know anything. Because Rhodes is now available for an interview and Snyder plans on talking to him "he groundwork for Ray Rhodes coming back to Washington could be set." That's not news. Fact: the Skins plan on interviewing Rhodes this week. Speculation: the groundwork is set.

As for the Bills job -- I am on record at this site as saying Weis is the guy I want.

Weiss is my first choice as well with Greg Williams as DC

Please no Rhodes...I may get some slack from this..but I think Richie Petitbon is the man for job...haha...just kidding. I think Fassel would be a good fit since he knows the NFC East and he lead the Giants to the superbowl. He knows how to win. Giants were hurt by injuries and Fassel took the fall. Too bad for him. Anyway, hire Fassel.

Let's see now. If Rhodes is "reluctant" and "skeptical" and I read Danny's personality correctly then Ray Rhodes will be our next Head Coach. Damn right! Dan Snyder isn't going to let anyone tell him no! Say no to the world's greatest salesman? Ain't happenin'. So Ray had better just STFU, take the money, and get his butt to Redskins Park NOW! Which proves just how well Ray Rhodes knows Danny. This is a brilliant move by Rhodes to pretend to refuse Danny something that Danny wants. How else could one explain why Snyder would pursue someone who is reluctant and skeptical and has a lifetime losing record as a HC?

This is yet another example of repackaged nothingnewness. A few journalists say that "NFL sources" suggest that Rhodes will end up our HC (b/c, it is suggested, seemingly contrary to statements by Green's and Fassell's reps and the WP's sources w/ the Skins, that Snyder will insist on too much personnel control). Then, every story makes an obligatory "snyde" reference to Rhodes and Snyder, seemingly w/o any basis at all other than speculation.

Archived