Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do we want from the new coach?

SPare

Do we want the coach to step in and become successful right away, or are we prepared to allow for a season of 7-9 or 8-8?

The answer to that question matters, because it will shape the requirements for what kind of coach the skins hire. To get one to be successful right away, there are a few things:

1. You generally want to have seen success elsewhere, likely at the NFL head coach level.

2. You want to ensure that his systems fit the players that we already have (particularly important for an offensive minded coach)

3. He comes with a crew of assistants that have shown success elsewhere.

If you're prepared to wait a year, then the kind of

My inclination is that if you're prepared to wait a year, you run more risks, and potentially more rewards.... but, we will all have to live through another season of crap like the past 10.

Myself, I side with "patience". I don't need to see immediate results... I just need to see progress towards an end (ie. wins and identity).

If a new coach needs to cut some of the deadwood to steer the franchise into the right direction - even at the expense of letting talented player walk (though not stupidly... for draft picks of course) - then I'm prepared to wait a few seasons.

But let's not kid ourselves. Any coach worth his salt should be able to get this team 6-7 wins with his eyes closed - with the present talent on hand.

If the new coach makes some cuts - much like Marty did - I'm prepared to take a step backwards before we go forwards.

That's the way I've always been with new coaches and implementing new football programs. Always takes a few years.... but moving forward and progress should clearly be evident.

Part of that discipline comes from assistants as well as Head Coach! Almost every coach on Spurrier's staff was a player friendly coach that can't work. We can have a player friendly type head coach and a ball buster lineup on assistants! Work these pukes into the ground and make them where pads for goodness sakes. This isn't pee wee football its the NFL! Spurrier and his whole staff was to easy going.

2. You want to ensure that his systems fit the players that we already have (particularly important for an offensive minded coach)

See this is something that bothers me. I think a coach should come into a situation and THEN see what system he will run. When did coaches become experts in just one type of offense or defense??

I want a coach that'll play each game the way it needs to be played to win. I'm sick of our coaches restructuring our personnel to fit their system...

speedwagon - that's not the way it works.

Say you own a restaurant, and you hire a chef. This chef is a graduate of the Cordon Bleu cooking school, and has worked in the finest French restaurants in the city. Problem is, you have an asian place. Might work out, cuz the guy's skills may be up to it, but it's risky, simply because that's not the guy's specialty. AND, more importantly, you're not paying a guy top dollar to do something that he doesn't like to do.

Now, if you figure that the French chef is the best thing for your restaurant, perhaps you allow a year or two to go by and allow your restaurant to become some sort of fusion thing, but the point is (and it carries over to the football analogy) you've taken that year or two to find the sweet spot between your guy's specialty, and the kind of restaurant you've already got.

Under New Management!

Yes the Cajun cook is under new management..

Time to serve up some spicey southen LA fixins.. cause thats what our chef prepares!

ahem :40oz:

This isnt an expansion team.. the coach must conform to the majority of the current redskins roster(calls the game to the players strengths) or this will never work as 52 players cannot be replaced in a year, even with the dans wallet.

An Asian restaurant and a French or Greek restaurant are entirely different things. You don't go to an Asian restaurant expecting to get the same thing you get a steak house.

You DO go into a football game with everyone expecting the same thing: victory. The greatest coaches of all time, at all levels in all sports, have been able to adapt their style to that of the players. That is EXACTLY what Joe Gibbs did, and no one would dare tell him "that's not the way it works."

I want a coach with a juggernaut mentality.

Give me a coach who demands the highest from all three phases of the game.

Give me a coach who will make the final decision on who he puts on the field.

Give me a coach who will be accountable to his players and the rest of the coaching staff.

Finally, give me a coach who demands that the little things get done everyday. And that they get done right.

Archived