Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Digital Cameras: What to Buy?

Doggmatic

What Kind of Coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind of Coach?

• The Brilliant Assistant ("The Norv"): These guys have been successful as coaches... just not as head coaches. This is how Gibbs got here... and Norv. Top Candidates: Crenell, Weis, Smith
    • The Retread ("The Marty"): Crusty old curmudgeon who's been around the league. Top candidates: Coughlin, Green, Fassel
    • The College Wunderkind ("The Steve"): Superstar of the college ranks, but very few of them have been successful in the NFL. Top candidates: Saban, others.
    • The Player's Favorite ("The Terry"): Internal candidate the players rally around... and walk all over. Top candidates: None I can think of.
    • The Dwarf ("The Danny"): He's been so good as GM, why not coach too?

I've been looking at the Sony Mavica 5.0 Megapixel camera. It has really intrigued me because it has a mni-cd writer in it. Seeing that I don't really like Flash memory that much because of cost, the rewritable cd route was more appealing.

Now, I'm having second thoughts... I wonder if the cd writer mechanism would hold up over time. I hear the speed of the camera is significantly slower than cameras with flash memory. Plus, Flash memory is the dominant medium for storage. Must be something to that.

Also, that Sony costs right around $500. I see that I can get 5 Megapixel cameras for 100 bucks or more cheaper from other companies. I'd like to stick with that 5.0 range for picture quality, but I'd like to save some cash (if possible), and get something as durable as possible. I'm definitely not stuck on Sony or anything.

Can anyone offer some direction here? It would be much appreciated.

what do you want the camera for? Family use? Personal use? Hobby/Proffessional use? I think that's the first question. Do you like to edit and retouch your photos? How serious do you take your photography? If it's just for fun or a vacation camera, go for the cheapie. If it's more serious look at the SlR digi's and go for the higher pixels per inch on the x by y grid. Also, make sure you like the zoom and manual versus automatic options. Personally, I like manual as much as possible, especially in choosing my focus.

Dogg, with the way prices are dropping I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking of moving up to the higher-resolution, nicer cameras. Uness you're a serious hobbyist or professional, however, I'm not sure how much you'll really need 5 Megapixels.

I bought an Olympus 560D-Zoom last spring and I love it. It's "only" 3.2Mp but it has suited me perfectly. I take photos on the 3rd of 5 settings for resolution and they are clear enough to enlarge to 8X10 without any pixelation. Small enough to fit in your pocket. Easy to use and learn. Just pointing and clicking gave me great pictures. Minimal investigation of the settings improved things even more.

Good luck with your research. And don't forget to back those files up. :)

I am thinking of buying the Olympus C-740.

It is only 3.1 megapixels but has a 10x optical zoom. This is important that you look for optical instead of digital zoom.

Also, if you are not going to blow your pics up to like poster size, you really don't need more the 3.0 megapixels.

This camera retails for $450, but I have seen it for $385.

Thanks for the responses fellas!

I suppose I should have included usage.

First, I am a graphic designer by trade, so while this will be used for personal photos and recreation, it also has to be high res enough to get me some good shots I can use for print... but I don't have the cash to buy an SLR camera right now, and I don't forsee it for a year or so at this point, unless I get a hot freelance job - you know what I'm saying.

That's why I'm going for the 5 mp's! :D

I hear Cannon is pretty good too, as well as Olympus, or Olympia, or whatever. Actually, I think Olympia is a font. Yeah - its a helvetica clone. Nevermind on that one.

Originally posted by skinsfan44

I am thinking of buying the Olympus C-740.

It is only 3.1 megapixels but has a 10x optical zoom. This is important that you look for optical instead of digital zoom.

Also, if you are not going to blow your pics up to like poster size, you really don't need more the 3.0 megapixels.

This camera retails for $450, but I have seen it for $385.

I would be really hesitant to buy this one. :)

I purchased one of these Olympus Ultra Zoom cameras (UZ 720) and I have had a really touch time with it. After messing with it enough I got it to take some good pictures, but anything in motion usually appears blurry. The focus is extremely slow with this one as well. It takes a lot of work to learn it and while I had the patience for it my wife didn't. I still think that I could get the same feature set with better picture quality for just a bit more coin. While I don't curse the day that I bought it, I sure wish that I would have gone a different way. After having these issues I searched around on the net and found many who shared my opinion of it, slow focus, poor picture quality, etc...

As for the original question, I have heard nothing but good things from Canon owners. I'd check those out first. Olympus and Sony are good as well.

Here is a link to a great site that I wish I'd have checked out before I made my most recent purchase...http://www.dpreview.com/

Also if you don't already know about it, http://www.epinions.com/ can be a great resource as well.

Hey Justin,

Just a heads up... my buddy works for Sony. Outside sales. Because he can get me anything Sony for wholesale... I'm partial to the Sony product ;)

I asked him about the Mavica model... but he didn't have much positive to say about it. I can't recall exactly what he said... but it was enough to turn me off.

Anyways... I settled on the following model:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44692&highlight=sony

All the information is in that thread.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by redskns56

I would be really hesitant to buy this one. :)

I purchased one of these Olympus Ultra Zoom cameras (UZ 720) and I have had a really touch time with it. After messing with it enough I got it to take some good pictures, but anything in motion usually appears blurry. The focus is extremely slow with this one as well. It takes a lot of work to learn it and while I had the patience for it my wife didn't. I still think that I could get the same feature set with better picture quality for just a bit more coin. While I don't curse the day that I bought it, I sure wish that I would have gone a different way. After having these issues I searched around on the net and found many who shared my opinion of it, slow focus, poor picture quality, etc...

As for the original question, I have heard nothing but good things from Canon owners. I'd check those out first. Olympus and Sony are good as well.

Here is a link to a great site that I wish I'd have checked out before I made my most recent purchase...http://www.dpreview.com/

Also if you don't already know about it, http://www.epinions.com/ can be a great resource as well.

Thanks for the info on the camera, and the websites, 56.

You are the first person who has told me anything about this camera. I am still in the "looking and learning" stage. I should learn more from these sites.

I have a Kodak Easy Share CX6330 3.1. Having shot 35mm since the 70's and dropping a lot of money on lenses and such. for 200$ I'm more then happy with it this little Kodak. It has a 3x optical, and 10x digital zoom. For another 100$, I added a 256 meg SD Card. It's also set up for a printer dock, which goes for about another 200$. I didn't go that rout being we have a Kodak quick photo machine in a store a block away.

For general use photo taking it's perfect. Very versitile, with lots of features for a lower dollar camera.

:2cents:

Archived