Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bigg Mike back in D.C.

bubba9497

Bigg Mike back in D.C.

FB Sellers gets another shot at the NFL

http://www.canoe.com/Slam031230/cfl_wpg-sun.html

By PAUL FRIESEN -- Winnipeg Sun

Bigg Mike has a big, fat NFL contract, leaving a gaping hole in the backfield of the Big Blue.

Fullback Mike Sellers, one of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' most dominant offensive players the last two years, has struck a deal with the NFL's Washington Redskins.

Sellers leaves the Bombers under the CFL-NFL agreement that allows players entering the option year of their contracts to pursue opportunities down south.

Yesterday was the first day NFL teams could sign CFLers. Sellers says he'll officially sign his contract today.

"I feel great," Sellers said from his home in Seattle. "I'm ready to go. They wanted to do a three-year deal, but we couldn't get to the right numbers. So I just signed a one-year deal, and hopefully I have a great season and re-negotiate."

Unlike many players who get a chance in the NFL, Sellers is not likely to be training camp fodder in Washington. It was with the Redskins the 6-foot-3, 270-pounder first cracked the NFL six years ago.

"I've been there. They know who I am and what I've done there," Sellers said. "It's not like I haven't played in The League. It's not like nobody wanted me. I got in trouble -- that's why I was in the CFL."

After three seasons in D.C., Sellers jumped to Cleveland, where his career was derailed by a drug charge.

Even though the charge was eventually dropped, Sellers found himself unwanted.

TOP SHAPE

But time, and two productive seasons in the CFL, have apparently erased the stigma that had been attached to him.

And Sellers grabbed the opportunity with both hands, getting himself into top shape for a workout with the Redskins earlier this winter.

"I think this is the hardest I've worked so far in the off-season, just because I know this was going to be my last chance," he said. "If I wasn't going to make it this year, I was going to give up."

Sellers, 28, wouldn't disclose the value of his contract, but he hinted he'd be paid more than the minimum ($525,000) for players with his experience.

With the Bombers last year, Sellers was second on the team in rushing (427 yards), fourth in receiving (481 yards), and third in touchdowns, with nine.

"I love Winnipeg," he said. "There's a lot less stress, playing in the CFL. Who knows, if this doesn't work out, I'll be back."

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

I don't like this move at all. He didn't want to be here in 00', so why would he want to be here now?

It wasn't that he didn't want to be here, it was Cleveland offered more money then we could afford at the time. We were cap strapped under Marty. We also lost Thrash, N.D. Kalu and several others because of the same reason.

Originally posted by mcgraw238

Good pickup. Hopefully, no character issues.

This guy can block a DE one on one. Spurrier should love that.

:laugh:

I don't believe Steve is too awful concerned about that at this point.

Thankfully.;)

It wasn't that he didn't want to be here, it was Cleveland offered more money then we could afford at the time. We were cap strapped under Marty. We also lost Thrash, N.D. Kalu and several others because of the same reason.

I thought we had some room to play under Marty, and he was just a dick trying to save money. I could be wrong of course.

I like the Sellers pick up, and I would guess the price was right.

We had no money to play with under Marty. Marty came in and cleaned up the mess that Danny made from signing all those guys in 2000. We had a ton of dead cap space that season from gutting guys like Flubberfield. We have been in pretty good shape since.

I think Sellers is a very nice pickup. Someon posted a thread a while back saying that his home in Seattle is still decorated with Redskins items.

Archived