Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Pride Left This Franchise..A Long, Bad Memory

TennesseeCarl

(Something I posted over on another board - I depress myself)

Most of the pride was drained away during the Norv Era, but what was left has been frittered away by his successors.

We once had a 16 game winning streak vs. Detroit, the longest one team had over another. That didn't survive Norv.

Of course, during the Norv Era (or prolonged prostate exam as I think of it), we managed a losing record vs. every single NFC East team....even the buffoonish Cardinals. And Norv's Watch witnessed the beginning of the odious 10-game losing streak to Dallas. We established new lows with Ferotte's head banging and Westbrook's antics costing us games. We brought in the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, who laughed his way off the field as his former team ran the ball right up the middle of the defense for an untouched TD. Love ya', Dana.

About this time our front office got the idea that signing the most hated Cowboy player of the time, Deion Sanders, might be an insult to the Dallas ownership. As it turned out, Deion was at a point where he was fielding punts with his face-mask and making sure the media knew that his new team just lacked the heart of his old one. In other moves calculated to win the hearts of fans, our front office brought in Jeff George, Mr. Team Chemistry himself, after we'd been bent over for three first day draft picks to obtain Brad Johnson.

Once Norv was gone, we went to Dallas under Robiskie and we got to watch Jeff George dragged on the field by Ebenezer Ekuban with impunity. Then we were the 'designated victim' for the Steelers' finale in Three Rivers. We obliged.

Marty came out of the gate with 5 consecutive losses. And what losses they were - utter butt-kickings. The first regular season crushing came to the Chargers, led on offense by none other than Norv Turner. He also failed to beat Dallas in his two attempts. And we got to watch as his relationship went from "Dan" to "Mr. Snyder". He and his Oklahoma Drill were banished quicker than you can say "Bruce Smith has an appointment with the owner."

In comes Steve Spurrier - the personification of football arrogance. He notes how easy it will be to win in the NFL and immediately kindles two rivalries - one with the 49ers by kicking the bejeezus out of them in a pre-season game and another with the Saints by suggesting their coach might not be too bright to be working so many hours at what is, after all, a simple game.

Both the 49ers and the Saints turn out to be on the schedule and both kick the snot out of the Redskins. The arrogance that Spurrier brought to the NFL is pretty much wiped off his face by consistent beatings where his system is shown to be rather easily defensed. His attempts to show that ex-Gators can be leaders works about as well as Marty's attempts to bring in an infusion of former Kansas City Chief players.

During the past decade, the Redskins were selected to be on Monday Night Football a handfull of times (it used to be we were a mainstay). But other than an anomaly vs. the Rams, we showed up on national t.v. and had our butts handed to us by the 49ers...the Vikings...and the Packers. They haven't invited us back this year. Go figure.

This season was to be different....it has been. It's worse. After raiding the Jets' roster of it's best players, we note they have eclipsed us in the standings. Our star players are shown to be inept at best and we are out-coached on a consistent basis. Despite constant on-the-field chest thumping by Redskin players, we get beat in the 4th quarter on a regular basis.

But the worst of it came last week. To be shut out at home by our arch-rival (who'd already whipped us on the road) was our reward for sticking with the team. We served as their Gateway To The Playoffs. Our stadium is now taken over by opponents. Players turn down $14 million offers to go somewhere with a winning attitude (as if they'd know what one looked like). We allow other teams' has-beens a lock on our roster to pursue records no Redskin fan cares about. Only 4 teams have a worse record over the past decade than this franchise, which was once the home of Lombardi....George Allen...and Joe Gibbs.

What's left? What other indignities can be heaped on us by our players, coaches and front office? Is this rock bottom or can we find new, innovative ways to stink?

It's always darkest before the dawn, TC.

Have an eggnog spiked with a healthy dose of Captain Morgan's, grill yourself a fine Porterhouse, kiss your wife and kids, and remember that your team has already treated you to more glorious heights than most sports fans ever get to revel in from theirs in a lifetime.

And then, if you can, accept that winning football is not a birthright of Redskins fans, it was a rare and precious gift.

All things are cyclical, my friend. Just ask Green Bay fans who were around between the mid-60's and mid-90's. Better yet, ask Red Sox or Cubs fans. They know from this stuff.

The wheel will turn, brother ... it really will. Hang in there.

Meanwhile, as I'd hate to lose you as a fellow traveler ... please step back from the edge. :)

Originally posted by Om

And then, if you can, accept that winning football is not a birthright of Redskins fans, it was a rare and precious gift.

(in Luke Skywalker voice)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Say it ain't so, Om! Say it ain't so!!

:rubeyes:

What's next?

Are you going to tell me there's no such thing as Santa, and that size really does matter!?

:cry:

hail2skins, the clear difference is that the Wizards who I believe are finally on the right track hired a capable GM and head coach with NBA experience :)

the Redskins simply have not set the necessary foundation.

you can look at any pro basketball team and if their TWO best players are injured and not on the court, that team will not win games.

the Redskins season started to unravel long before the club suffered a number of the major injuries it ended up having.

I believe that in 2005 things will start to get better for the Skins. Spurrier will be thankfully gone and perhaps by then Snyder will realize that having a real GM will be the way to go. Plus Ramsey and CO will be more experienced(if he survives next year under Spurrier) and hopefully will be running an offense more suited to being succesful. Unfortunetly, I believe that next year will be another wasted year, but that might be a necessary evil to bring change to the FO and coaching staff.

TC-- brilliant my friend, I concur word for word and heartbreak for heartbreak. I would add to your list, as it really could be never-ending, but you've done well enough. Although, I don't think we lost to the Vikings on MNF-- can't recall that.

You know if the world was populated in the past with the negative nellies that post here, We would all still think the world was flat, the Sun is the center of the Universe, and We would be speaking German.....

For the Record there is still pride in the Redskins, just look at Smoot, Coles, Ramsey, Jansen, LaVar, Samuels... who could sit and ride out the string, but they are begging in some cases to get back out there and strap on that chin strap.

Look at the Giants, how many players are calling it a season because of minir injuries, yet no Redskins has. Ramsey had to be forced out of action, and wasn't a mild injury. These last two games mean something to the team.

what about the Dallas game, Bubba? :)

you are telling me they burped against a close division rival but are now going to jack it up in the 'important' contest against the Bears and then the Eagles? :laugh:

there were individual players on the Redskins 1960's teams that had character my friend, but poor coaching and ownership before Lombardi and then Allen arrived guaranteed the TEAM was not going to achieve.

bubba...I admire your hardcore enthusiasm man. Wish I could continue to buy into it. I'm not sure what kind of heart and desire you saw in the 27-0 spanking that leaves you to believe they are still 'fighting'. I'd concede there are players that are still trying, maybe even a majority...but is that really the point? I mean, it brings to mind the scene from 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'....Black Knight standing on one leg shouting 'I'll bleed all over you...come back here, I'll bite your head off!'. I think you raise a positive point in that at least there are some players on this team who appear as sick about our current plight as we are, and who are still out there giving it their best. But what strikes me is our overall ineptitude and penchant for making the absolute worst play at the absolute worst time. Until that changes, I think you have to acknowledge that Snyder, Spurrier, and all of the players DESERVE some of the criticism heaped upon them.

You can call it negativity. But I've been a fan for 30 years. I'm not blind. I know what I'm seeing. That being said, hope you have a Merry Christmas. I've enjoyed your posts this year, even when not agreeing with them, and especially appreciate the major contribution you've made to keeping us all abreast of Redskins news. Its appreciated! :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words.

When you look at the season as a whole, and compare it from the previous season, and look at other teams .... I can see problems, but I can also see many positives that improvements are being made.

To be honest I was more upset with the team during the Buffalo game than the Dallas Game. Losing to the Boyz in a shutout is painful, but most of that loss rests in the inability of the offense, (Hassellback) and weather conditions. Were the Bills game it was a team over all let down. But then the team turned it up a notch even in the face of injuries and tough opponents.

Keep the faith! and Merry Christmas to you, and everyone :cheers:

As much as this franchise frustrates us, what we can't lose sight of is the fact that the NFL is like no other sport, in the sense that in any given year any team can come out of nowhere and rekindle the spirit of their fans. Rams, Ravens, Patriots.......did any of you guys actually pick them to win the Super Bowl in their respective championship season? Probably not. Did any of their hardcore fans expect them to win the Super Bowl? Probably not. So as hard as it is to take any positives out of another debacle of a season, just put it behind you and look forward to the future because you never know.

Archived