Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A comparison of the Skins and Dallas, shows that the name of the game is coaching

A comparison of the Skins and Dallas shows that the name of the game is really coaching. Dallas under Parcells has it and we under Spurrier dont. That is why they are 9-5 and we are 5-9.

Its no secret that the Skins dont have a pass rush. But a check of the records indicates that Dallas doesn't either. But that doesn't stop Dallas from winning. Thru 14 games the Skins have 25 sacks the same as Dallas. The Skins even have better CB's then Dallas [bailey and Smoot vs. Newman and Edwards] and more interceptions then Dallas -- 16 to 13 -- but what good has it done us?

A comparison of the defensive lines and sacks is interesting:

DE - E. Ekuban (2.5) vs R. Wynn (2.0)

DT - L. Glover (3.0) vs B. Holsey (2.5)

DT - W. Blade (0.0) vs L. Dalton (1.0)

DE - G. Ellis (5.5) vs B. Smith (4.0)

Totals: Dallas 11 Skins 8.5

Dallas also has a starting QB with only a 70 QB rating, who is mediocre at best and has thrown more interceptions then Td passes.

Dallas also doesn't have a running game, with Troy Hambrick averaging about 3.0 yards per carry against the rest of the league. Against us, however, he is all-pro.

The only obvious advantage Dallas has over the Skins is a big statistical edge in rushing defense and total defense. But this is more about attitude and coaching schemes, in that Dallas has a very UNDERSIZED defensive line. :)

If we cant beat Dallas when we have some advantages, forget about it when we don't. :laugh:

From the post......

Looking back, obviously since we didn't throw very well, we should have given it to him more. Rock is a good, solid player."

I've heard this more times this season then I can stand.

Look back a bit sooner............then remember what you learned you putz.

We need a real NFL coach so bad it's not even funny. I'm tired of reading draft threads prior to the holidays, and "looking forward" to next season. I'm not loooking forward to it, not with Spurrier stumbling through the league.

Coaching is the biggest change we need.:mad: :mad:

The only obvious advantage Dallas has over the Skins is a big statistical edge in rushing defense and total defense. But this is more about attitude and coaching schemes, in that Dallas has a very UNDERSIZED defensive line.

:laugh: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

attitude? :rotflmao:

Again, you chalk up another one for continuity. :applause:

Parcells kept the Cowboy defense in place, when he took over. Keeping Zimmer as DC, and the same schemes, adding #1 pick Newman. Dallas is winning because they are the #1 ranked defense in the NFL. (Washington #22, New DC, and New DT's)

Though Sack totals are not huge, what is not shown is the number of pressures, hurried throws, knockdowns, & forced mistakes Dallas's defense creates.

Interesting tidbit, Washington's defense is ranked higher than the Bengals defense... Hmmmmm

C'mon, inmate. That's got to be the most superficial comparison of these 2 teams I've ever seen.

First of all, you list Willie Blade as the starter, but Leonardo Carson has played a lot more snaps than Blade has, and Daleroy Stewart has probably played as many as Blade. Ekuban lost his starting job to Ogbogu. And the Redskins DL rotation has got to be even more complicated than the Cowboys. Where's Haley, Chase, Upshaw, Russel?

And what do you make of more than ½ of the 'Skins sacks coming from the LBs? Armstead, Arrington and Trotter have 13 of the teams 25 sacks.

I think they're also rushing in different situations. The Cowboys are #6 in the NFL vs. the run. The Redskins are #27. It looks like the Cowboys should have a lot more opportunities to really pin their ears back and come after the passer, yet they don't have more sacks to show for it.

However, even with all the holes in your analysis, I actually agree with you. The Cowboys have an over-arching, unifying philosophy to their game plans. They run the ball, they stop the run, they win the field position battle with their special teams. Obviously, it doesn't always work, but they always know what they want to do. And that's coaching.

Spurrier was struggling trying to put the whole thing together before he lost the only QB on the roster. And that is easily the difference between 5-9 and 9-5

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

This is the problem with your analysis. The "sack" is the most overated stat in all of sports, sorry Bruce ;)

If you watch their DL they are able to penetrate much more then us as well as able to stop the RB at the line the majority of the time, or just slow them down so the LB's can then take shot. If you count how many QB pressures they have I will say it was a lot more then us. They are also more talented then our DL by a wide margin.

Don't Forget QB pressures. Dallas strategy is not just to get sacks from their DL, but to occupy the OL so the LB's slide into the gaps and pressure/stop the run since they are smaller speed guys and not big like Lavar, Trotter, Armstead. Also, should you really list Ekuban as the starter if he splits time with others? the dude from the Under Armour commercials seems better than he is.

Originally posted by flashback

First of all, you list Willie Blade as the starter, but Leonardo Carson has played a lot more snaps than Blade has, and Daleroy Stewart has probably played as many as Blade. Ekuban lost his starting job to Ogbogu. And the Redskins DL rotation has got to be even more complicated than the Cowboys. Where's Haley, Chase, Upshaw, Russel?

Cmon flashback you got to keep up with the players. :laugh: Willie Blade has been the starter most of the season. Leonardo Carson was picked up off waivers from the Chargers about a month ago. Ogbogu replaced Ekuban as the starter only last week.

Ive listed only the starters here in a comparison, so whats wrong with that?. Haley is on IR and has zero sacks. Russell and Chase have played sparingly and have zero sacks. Upshaw has mainly been a backup most of the season and has 1 sack. But you thought these guys should be mentioned? O.k., but I dont see what difference it makes in the comparison. :laugh:

And what do you make of more than ½ of the 'Skins sacks coming from the LBs? Armstead, Arrington and Trotter have 13 of the teams 25 sacks.

What do I make of this? Just that the only way the Skins can get any pressure at all, is by blitzing. And how many games have the Skins lost because of it -- two or three games to my recollection when they guessed wrong. The Cowboys on the other hand are well coached and when they blitz they are effective. Recall the first game when Ramsey was sacked about 6 times? Again, better coaching.

However, even with all the holes in your analysis, I actually agree with you. o.k. :applause:

The Cowboys have an over-arching, unifying philosophy to their game plans. They run the ball, they stop the run, they win the field position battle with their special teams. Obviously, it doesn't always work, but they always know what they want to do. And that's coaching.

o.k. :applause:

Spurrier was struggling trying to put the whole thing together before he lost the only QB on the roster. And that is easily the difference between 5-9 and 9-5

Spurrier has been struggling for 2 years or ever since he came into the league if you ask me. :laugh:

Originally posted by jbooma

This is the problem with your analysis. The "sack" is the most overated stat in all of sports, sorry Bruce ;)

Yes and no. Most playoff teams over the decades are able to amass 40 or more sacks a season. Those teams that can't, usually don't get too far in the playoffs, because the sack is usually indicative of a team's ability to put pressure on an opposing QB. When you can't put pressure on the opposing QB, usually you get picked apart.

I will agree with you that QB "pressures" are equally important. Unfortnately, those stats are never available or at least never published by the teams, so its almost impossible to compare teams.

They are also more talented then our DL by a wide margin.

The Cowboy DL is more talented? I doubt it. Better coaching? definitely.

They have basically the same starters on the DL as the team that finished 5-11 the year before. Ekuban was only benched this week. Willie Blade replaced Noble, but Blade is a FREE AGENT and has zero sacks. Ogbogu who replaced Ekuban this week as a starter, I also believe is a FREE AGENT.

Bruce Smith, Renaldo Wynn, Regan Upshaw, Darrell Russell and Dan Wilkinson when he was here, are all #1 draft picks, although most of the time they never played like it.

But yet we haven't been able to stop the run in over a decade. The Cowboys have more DL talent?... I dont think so. :laugh:

A comparison of the Skins and Dallas shows that the name of the game is really coaching. Dallas under Parcells has it and we under Spurrier dont. That is why they are 9-5 and we are 5-9.

Its no secret that the Skins dont have a pass rush. But a check of the records indicates that Dallas doesn't either. But that doesn't stop Dallas from winning. Thru 14 games the Skins have 25 sacks the same as Dallas. The Skins even have better CB's then Dallas [bailey and Smoot vs. Newman and Edwards] and more interceptions then Dallas -- 16 to 13 -- but what good has it done us?

Dallas also has a starting QB with only a 70 QB rating, who is mediocre at best and has thrown more interceptions then Td passes.

Dallas also doesn't have a running game, with Troy Hambrick averaging about 3.0 yards per carry against the rest of the league. Against us, however, he is all-pro.

The only obvious advantage Dallas has over the Skins is a big statistical edge in rushing defense and total defense. But this is more about attitude and coaching schemes, in that Dallas has a very UNDERSIZED defensive line. :)

If we cant beat Dallas when we have some advantages, forget about it when we don't. :laugh:

Two names.... Roy Williams and Darren Woodson.

It's amazing what two Hall of Fame safeties will do. (And yes, I'm predicting it now, Roy ends up in the HoF if he avoids injuries.)

Like Flashback pointed out though, the Cowboys don't exactly start those 4 guys. Glover probably gets the most time, and everyone else is rotated in and out to keep the defensive line fresh. For most of the season, the Cowboy have suited up 8 defensive linemen every game and ALL have seen plenty of playing time. Think of the early 90's Boys and their famous defensive line rotation. ;)

Defensively though, except for the Cowboys obvious advantage at safety, you've got a point. The linebackers are probably the same with maybe a slight advantage for the Cowboys. I'd compare Newman and Edwards to Bailey and Smoot. The Cowboys defensive line is more talented than the Skins IMO but it's nothing spectacular.

Originally posted by Red&BlueRivalry

The Cowboys defensive line is more talented than the Skins IMO but it's nothing spectacular.

I will agree with you about the Cowboy safeties being better than the Redskins.

But the Cowboys have a more talented defensive line? Their starters, Ellis, Glover and Ekuban [until last week] are the same starters that finished 5-11 last year, before Bill Parcells came aboard. These are the same guys we rushed for over 200 yards against when we beat them 20-14 last year at RFK.

Are you trying to tell me that the only new starter -- Willie Blade the FREE AGENT -- has made the difference in talent? :laugh:

The difference is not talent in the DL's. The difference is they get better results from their DL from better coaching and motivation.

If Bill Parcells was coaching the Skins this year, we would be 10-6 at least, because Parcells would not have blown those 3 or 4 close games we lost.

If Bill Parcells was coaching the Skins this year, we would be 10-6 at least, because Parcells would not have blown those 3 or 4 close games we lost.

:rolleyes: still selling opinions as facts..

you just try to hard. :rotflmao:

Listen you want to get people to listen to your propagnda, try posting complete and accurate FACTS, not unsupported opinions, and selective facts that leave out important details of the true story.

:laugh:

But the Cowboys have a more talented defensive line? Their starters, Ellis, Glover and Ekuban [until last week] are the same starters that finished 5-11 last year, before Bill Parcells came aboard. These are the same guys we rushed for over 200 yards against when we beat them 20-14 last year at RFK.

Are you trying to tell me that the only new starter -- Willie Blade the FREE AGENT -- has made the difference in talent? :laugh:

The difference is not talent in the DL's. The difference is they get better results from their DL from better coaching and motivation.

The Cowboys' defensive line is considered one of the weakest links on the team in terms of pure talent, with defensive end being a position most fans want upgraded this offseason.

However, you point to the 'Boys line as if we "just" have Ellis and Glover.

Out of curiousity, who on your line is better than or equal in talent to either of these two players?

Smith? Wynn? Upshaw? I routinely see these names being tossed in the 'must get rid of' category on this site.

Certainly you're not comparing a Russell or Dalton to Glover in the middle of the line.

While the Cowboys' line isn't its most overwhelmingly talented position by any means, I fail to see any player on your line that matches up to their top two guys. So, yes, I would say the talent on your line is severely lacking.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Interesting tidbit, Washington's defense is ranked higher than the Bengals defense... Hmmmmm

Here's plenty of interesting tidbits:

Total Offense/game

10. Bengals - 340.9

24. Redskins - 293.8

Time of Possesion/game:

8. Bengals - 31:26

23. Redskins - 29:14

Passing Offense/game:

10. Bengals - 214.2

24. Redskins - 184.5

Rushing Offense/game:

10. Bengals - 126.6

19. Redskins - 109.3

Penalties/game:

8. Redskins - 108

15. Bengals - 93

Penalty yards/game:

7. Redskins - 910

20. Bengals - 742

Turnovers/Giveaway:

3. Bengals - 18

18. Redskins - 26

Rushing TDs (total:

22. Bengals - 10

26. Redskins - 7

Passing TDs (total):

5. Bengals - 25

15. Redskins - 18

Field Goals attempts:

6. Redskins - 24/30

20. Bengals = 21/23

Points per game:

11. Bengals - 23.0

20. Redskins - 18.3

Who's the offensive genius again? Who's in the rookie year of his program and the other in their second season?

Originally posted by Die Hard

Here's plenty of interesting tidbits:

Total Offense/game

10. Bengals - 340.9

24. Redskins - 293.8

Time of Possesion/game:

8. Bengals - 31:26

23. Redskins - 29:14

Passing Offense/game:

10. Bengals - 214.2

24. Redskins - 184.5

Rushing Offense/game:

10. Bengals - 126.6

19. Redskins - 109.3

Penalties/game:

8. Redskins - 108

15. Bengals - 93

Penalty yards/game:

7. Redskins - 910

20. Bengals - 742

Turnovers/Giveaway:

3. Bengals - 18

18. Redskins - 26

Rushing TDs (total:

22. Bengals - 10

26. Redskins - 7

Passing TDs (total):

5. Bengals - 25

15. Redskins - 18

Field Goals attempts:

6. Redskins - 24/30

20. Bengals = 21/23

Points per game:

11. Bengals - 23.0

20. Redskins - 18.3

Who's the offensive genius again? Who's in the rookie year of his program and the other in their second season?

:rotflmao: I said tidbit.... not whole story. :laugh:

for the record, the point I was making was despite the fact Lewis is a defensive coach, they are winning with offense. It would be idiotic to suggest at this point that the Bengals are a worse team because of that tidbit ( a point I have never made anywhere), as I clearly stated I found it interesting.

:doh:

Inmate, did you see the sack numbers today in the Cowboys/Giants game? Against that same injured offensive line, the Cowboys defensive linemen had 5 sacks while Washington's linemen only had one sack 2 weeks ago. (Old man Bruc Smith) The Skins had 4 or 5 total sacks but the linebackers had all the sacks. Still think the Washington defensive line is just as good as the Cowboys? I'm telling ya bud, Hambrick is not a great back! The Cowboys offensive line hasn't been that good this year but Hambrick is going to be a career backup in this league. Yet he still had a career day against the Skins defensive line. Looks like A-Train had a good one today too. Again, I don't think the Cowboys defensive line is tops in the NFL but they're definitely not slouches.

Originally posted by Red&BlueRivalry

Still think the Washington defensive line is just as good as the Cowboys?

Hey in reading my post, I dont know where you got the idea I think the Skins DL is better then the Cowboys, because I dont. What I was trying to say was the Skins DL is better ON PAPER because of all the #1 draft picks. The Cowboys DL IS better, but its mainly because of coaching, and thats apparent when they can plug in Willie Blade and Ogobudo or whatever his name is :laugh: who are FREE AGENTS or low round draft picks.

Again, I don't think the Cowboys defensive line is tops in the NFL but they're definitely not slouches.

Again I never said they were slouches. The Cowboys DL does play better than the Skins, in spite of the fact they aren't much better at sacking the QB's than the Skins. Parcells just gets more from less than the Skins. :)

The Cowboys D, unit by unit is better than the Redskins except for CB where they are even. They have a huge advantage at safety, but their DL and LBs are better as a unit. We have the worst DL in the league and Trotter and Armstead are, well, just terrible.

Unitil we have some players, you can run a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 2-5 whatever and our D will still suck badly.

Archived