Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME JACK DEL RIO AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

TK

On 1/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Just about anything CAN work.  The 4-3 can work.  The 3-4 can work.  Read-react can work. Aggressive can work.  You just need to commit to SOMETHING, make sure your personnel fits what you are committing to, and coach it well so your players are prepared and know what to expect. 

One thing about the 4-3 that supports your “commit” comment is that you can usually stay in your base for all three downs. I think that helps your starters by keeping assignments consistent. A 3-4 would usually need to go to nickel on 3rd down and that usually meant only two interior lineman rushing instead of 3, OLBs have to drop in coverage, so blitzing meant bring up a MLB or safety and that opens up the short middle field. I’m being very general, of course. 

One thing I like about Del Rio is his knack of getting the most out of mid-round draft picks. It seemed like Jax had nobodies play like stars. Tight off-man coverage and smart safety play. He always had at least one stud tackle on the D-line like Big John Henderson. Payne may need to get back to 330 lb. The Jaguar’s defense for 15 years has always kept them in games and that pretty much started with Del Rio. I’m trying to think back 10-15 years to who our LBs were but no famous name jumps out. But sure tackling was usually present. 

Archived