Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Russell and Adewale Ogunleye

goldenster95

From PFW . . . might we lose D Russ but pickup Ogunleye? . . . hmmmm . . .

Redskins DT Darrell Russell has indicated he would like to return to the team next year and that he’ll give his team first crack to re-sign him. The feeling, however, might not be mutual, the way we hear it.

Expect the Dolphins to sign DE Adewale Ogunleye to a one-year deal as a restricted free agent after giving him the highest tender this offseason. The Dolphins probably won’t be able to afford a long-term deal for Ogunleye, especially since they have to address problems on the offensive line, potentially replacing three aging starters.

What happened is the man's been out of the game for a long while and clearly isn't back into shape or playing with the strength or technique to make a real difference yet. We know he has potential. We just haven't seen that manifest itself yet.

If the Dolphins don't sign Ogunleye to a long term deal, they will tender him at 1st round compensation. Too much to give up with other DEs available as UFAs.

In regards to Russell, he's shown me virtually nothing to warrant getting a lucrative long term deal. If he wants to be a Redskin, he can sign a multi year deal for minimum salary and a token SB. Otherwise, he can hit the streets.

Originally posted by Bang

I'd like to know what happened with Russell and the Redskins,, they signed him and never play him at all, and according to this, show no interest in retaining him...

?

~Bang

Simple. The more we play him, the better chance he has of improving his Free Agent value.

Gardener was our defensive MVP last year and we couldn't sign him because of his value in FA.

Plus, he had been out of football and out of shape, so I doubt he could've taken too many more reps.

I would love to sign him a middle of the road contract. Don't give him that HUGE signing bonus, but don't lowball him and force his hand elsewhere.

Archived