Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DJ Swearinger Released by Cardinals today

veteranskinsfan

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Norman does not need to clear waivers. He has more than 4 yrs in.  If released he immediately becomes a free agent.  

Dj is is the same way. No need to clear waivers.  Was that way when we released him. So your point is invalid.   

More importantly, he has had 5 teams in 7 seasons.  People do not throw draft picks for these types of players, waivers or not.  I know you just want what’s best for the team but we have to stay somewhere close to reality.  

Last but not least, Collins is doing the job he was signed for.  They still do not have a FS. It could be argued that they should have spent that money on FS but they didn’t.  

Also $84M is very misleading. He is getting $44M guaranteed.  That’s the important number.  $84M is a fluff number.  Very unlikely to see that.  They can easily get out after 2021. Just $9M dead Cap. Or renegotiate.  

Swearinger was in his 6th season when we dropped him.  Vested vets still need to clear the waiver wire, if released after the trade deadline.  If we dropped Norman after the trade deadline, he too would be subject to waivers. 

Bottom line is, the FO could've waited a week and used an entire offseason to deal him, and gotten something in return.  For a stretch, Swearinger was playing as well as anyone else at safety, and finished the season highly rated. 

The fact that the first team able to place a claim on him, did, indicates that value was present in both his play and contract. 

I'm not blaming Collins, and don't fault him for taking the most lucrative contract for a safety, ever.  But he's filling a hole that was self-manufactured by the FO.  And he's not playing as well as DJ did through the same time period, last season.  

On 9/30/2019 at 2:56 PM, Riggo-toni said:

It's not like he was wrong about our defense, but I think he would be a cancer at this point given how much worse we've become.

Well even tho the cancer is here already, I guess there's no reason to double up.

On 9/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, bakedtater1 said:

Hmmmm first its "what are the Vikings gonna do with kirk cousins?" On pft, now it's this with swearinger...hehe

Yes it seems times are changing. It used to be most X- Redskins went on to hall of fame careers with different clubs.

44 minutes ago, Monkman56 said:

Well even tho the cancer is here already, I guess there's no reason to double up.

Yes it seems times are changing. It used to be most X- Redskins went on to hall of fame careers with different clubs.

Preston Smith and breshad Breeland says hi

7 hours ago, megared said:

Swearinger was in his 6th season when we dropped him.  Vested vets still need to clear the waiver wire, if released after the trade deadline.  If we dropped Norman after the trade deadline, he too would be subject to waivers. 

Bottom line is, the FO could've waited a week and used an entire offseason to deal him, and gotten something in return.  For a stretch, Swearinger was playing as well as anyone else at safety, and finished the season highly rated. 

The fact that the first team able to place a claim on him, did, indicates that value was present in both his play and contract. 

I'm not blaming Collins, and don't fault him for taking the most lucrative contract for a safety, ever.  But he's filling a hole that was self-manufactured by the FO.  And he's not playing as well as DJ did through the same time period, last season.  

Fair enough on the waivers during the season after the trade deadline. Still does not change 5 teams in 7 yrs. Just because someone picked him on waivers does not mean they would give a draft pick away. Again - 5 teams in 7 season. He didn't even make the end of the season. And the team that got him was one where he played before so he knew the system. But still does not mean they would have given up a draft pick for him. 

Houston tried to trade him in 2015 before releasing him. No bites for a 3rd yr 2nd draft choice. You really think that gets better 3 teams and 4 yrs later? 

Also, saying Collins is not playing as well as Dj is just not true. It's hard to be fair since the entire team is playing like ****. But if you isolate he has played well. He doing his job at least as well as DJ, if not better. Also, if DJ was playing any better at all it's more likely that it's because it was DJs second season. 

I hate this ****ing FO as much as anyone. But this feels like piling on a player when they are doing their job when the team is the problem. I get they should have gone FS instead of SS (or as i said, they should have been aggressive at both positions.) But in terms of signing Collins, the contract is reasonably team friendly with an out in 3 yrs. But this was not a big mistake. And Collins is playing much better than people give him credit for. He is becoming the "$84M" scapegoat. 

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Fair enough on the waivers during the season after the trade deadline. Still does not change 5 teams in 7 yrs.

I'm counting Houston, Arizona, Tampa, and us.  Who else has he played for?

Just because someone picked him on waivers does not mean they would give a draft pick away. Again - 5 teams in 7 season. He didn't even make the end of the season. And the team that got him was one where he played before so he knew the system. But still does not mean they would have given up a draft pick for him. 

It’s difficult to think back to that young player who couldn’t stay on the same page as the rest of his teammates in the secondary early in his career and realize that he is now one of the best safeties in the league. But Swearinger has executed a remarkable career turnaround, and has rightly earned his spot atop the list of the best at his position through eight weeks of the season.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/30/stats-that-show-how-dj-swearinger-has-been-nfls-best-safety-this-season/

Houston tried to trade him in 2015 before releasing him. No bites for a 3rd yr 2nd draft choice. You really think that gets better 3 teams and 4 yrs later? 

Also, saying Collins is not playing as well as Dj is just not true. It's hard to be fair since the entire team is playing like ****. But if you isolate he has played well. He doing his job at least as well as DJ, if not better. Also, if DJ was playing any better at all it's more likely that it's because it was DJs second season. 

I hate this ****ing FO as much as anyone. But this feels like piling on a player when they are doing their job when the team is the problem. I get they should have gone FS instead of SS (or as i said, they should have been aggressive at both positions.) But in terms of signing Collins, the contract is reasonably team friendly with an out in 3 yrs. But this was not a big mistake. And Collins is playing much better than people give him credit for. He is becoming the "$84M" scapegoat. 

ha-ha-clinton-dix-traded-to-the-washingt

For reference, Collins is only ranked a 66.5, at the moment. 

How about we stop picking up DBs that Gettleman has discarded?  That should be among our top priorities, along with never trading for a QB from Andy Reid.  

3 hours ago, megared said:

I'm counting Houston, Arizona, Tampa, and us.  Who else has he played for?

Edit

For reference, Collins is only ranked a 66.5, at the moment. 

How about we stop picking up DBs that Gettleman has discarded?  That should be among our top priorities, along with never trading for a QB from Andy Reid.  

So I count AZ twice as 5 teams 4 franchises but 5 teams since he was gone for a few yrs - not to mention different coaching staffs. But that's as much semantics. The point remain s the same. He is averaging a new team more than once every 1.5 to 2 yrs no matter how you look at it. So at least 5 different coaching staffs have decided he is not worth keeping. 

As much as I like stats, PFF just does not impress me. They had Ha Ha 4th at the time. I remember that. And what happened - both played like crap the rest of the season. More than willing to concede that is in some part, maybe even a large part due to coaching - poor coaching that is. But not all. Again, DJ is a player that can make plays but then misses things that should be basic. 

Disagree about norman. He is more due to not being used properly and the one thing I think we definitely agree with and that's not addressing the FS position. He has gotten blamed for some plays that he was supposed to have deep help on. He was never a line them up and he stays man to man all day guy. He is a zone CB that is good at playing within the system. So if the system breaks down he is not going to cover that up many times. 

All of this is moot. There will be a new staff soon. So all those wanting rid of Jay are about to get their wish. Should happen after he beat down we are about to receive from NE. The thing I hate about that is that a mid season firing means it's unlikely Bruce is fired too. I am Ok with Jay being fired if Bruce is thrown out with him. A mid season firing means Bruce likely gets a few more years to **** this up even worse. 

Last response here - I fully agree Bruce makes some very poor FA decisions. I just do not happen agree the Collins DJ decision are part of that. Not saying it was brilliant or anything. But not a bad move. Just not the move i would make. I would have made FS a priority. Something I have said every off season for it feels liuek forever. 

Archived