Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marty Ball is Sure Looking Good Right About Now

Canadian Hog

Yes, I know, hindsight is 20-20, and I know that reflecting on the past gets annoying and tiring after a while, but the fact of the matter is that Marty ball is looking a hell of alot more appealing than SS and his fun 'n done right about now. What bothers me is that 31 other teams in the league would not even think about letting a coach go after rallying a team back from 0-5, and winning 8 of their last 11 games. I realize that this decision came down to Danny and his hunger for power, but we really had something special that had the potential to carry over into the next year. If 8-3 doesn't have a carryover effect, I don't know what does. I remember the second to last game in the Marty season, the Sunday nighter at New Orleans, and how we absolutely embarrassed them on national television. I hadn't had such a good feeling about the prospects for the following season like I did after that game in a long time. Especially considering the fact that we were getting it done with Tony Banks at QB. Enough said. Some tweaking of the roster, especially at QB, and we easily could have been a playoff team in year two under Marty. Instead, we blew up what I thought had the potential to be a pretty interesting and solid team the following year, one that could have competed for the playoffs. Hell, we even won in Philly under Marty. That in itself is saying something I believe. So now, instead of having improved on an encouraging 8-8 record under Marty, we are hit in the face with a 7-9 and potential 5-11 disaster under the Ball Coach, and slowly but surely heading towards the land formerly occupied by the Bengals. I know that Danny has good intentions, and I tip my hat to him for that, but we as fans deserve better. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd say its a pretty big risk to fix something that went 8-3 down the stretch.

Hopefully, I have not given you the impression that I'm trying to slam the organization here. I understand its easy to criticize and point fingers when things aren't looking bright. I just can't help but think about what might have been, especially when thinking about the sad state of this franchise on this very day.

Originally posted by Demoralized Canadian Hog

I'm not saying I loved Marty Ball guys, and I understand exactly what your feelings are. But, you can't deny the fact that at 8-3, the right was not earned to coach another season. That's all I'm trying to get across here.

He wasn't 8-3, he was 8-8, and he wanted more power and Danny said no.

Look the guy is 3-11 with LT and David Boston, something is wrong there.

Due respect, but this smacks of revisionism. Marty's team went 0-5, and in that strecth played some of the most embarrassing football in franchise history. Then, as an afterthought team playing with absolutely no pressure for 5 weeks, they won some very close defensive games against teams that weren't exactly preparing for us like we were the 70's Steelers.

The run to 5-5 was nice, but I've never confused it with a 5-win run with actual playoff implications or anything. I don't think other folks really ought to, either.

Not when the subsequent games -- beginning with a home date against a pathetic Cowboy team, and including another home game against a Bears team with NOTHING -- where there actually WERE some implications, that team went as limp as Richard Simmons at a Victoria's Secret Wesson Oil afterparty.

So yeah, Marty "went 8-3" down the stretch, but there are 8-3's and then there are 8-3's ... you know? We'll never know how Marty might have done in Year 2 or Year 3, but we'll also hopefully learn to put the 8-3 mantra in context at some point.

Since Marty and the Chargers began last year 6-1, they have gone 5-18 after that

If we had kept Marty and were in that boat right about now think of how much MORE carnage there would be here on ExtremeSkins than there is now :rolleyes:

From what I have heard, Marty has had similar issues with his team this year as he had in the beginning of his season here, i.e., being too much of a control freak.

It seems we keep going from one extreme to the next...lax Norv, dictator Marty, back to lax with Spurrier.

OK, get a pencil.

I'm tired of writing this.

Marty the GENERAL MANAGER got fired.

Marty the coach then QUIT.

Marty the general manager SHOULD have been fired.

Had Marty been willing to release some of the power that was stupidly given him, he would not have had to quit as head coach, but since he went and got all General Patton on us, he forced Snyder to FIRE him as GM.

Sheesh. It's not like it was THAT long ago, and I smoke pot. Even I can remember this stuff.

~Bang

We're talking about Marty Schottenheimer, right? The same one who is 3-11 in SD with a stud RB, and a big-time receiver. 8-3, Schmait and three. they were piss poor that year, just as they are now. That Saints game and the game when they beat the Rams in St.L were anomolies. I guess you don't remember the embarrassing shut-out loss to Green Bay on Week 2 on Monday night with the marvelous Jeff George at QB...

Marty personally was burned out after being a head coach for 15 years in the NFL.

That didn't mean that his strategic emphasis on controlling the ball, limiting mistakes, running the ball and playing sound defense was something to be discarded.

In truth most of the teams you see succeed use the tired but true formula of running the ball and playing sound defense.

It worked for the Ravens in 2000. It worked for the Dolphins in the 1970's. It worked for Gibbs and Parcells in the 1980's and early 1990's.

Remember that Elway did not win a Super Bowl until 1,800 yard back Terrell Davis showed up along with a defense full of former NFC pro bowlers like Romanowski, etc.

xanathos........trust me, I remember the Monday night debacle vs. Green Bay, and the embarrassment vs. the Chiefs as well, and the embarrassment vs. the Chargers. I think it was a pretty darn good job done though, to rally this team to come back like it did after 0-5. Fact of the matter is that Marty prepared this team well enough to go into stadiums like Denver and Philly that year, with Tony Banks and Kent Graham at QB mind you, and pull out hard fought wins. Going into a hostile environment and winning a tough road game is something I don't remember us doing under the ball coach. The Titans game from a year ago doesn't exactly qualify because they were clearly struggling at 1-3 and we caught them at the right time. And as far as I remember, the win in St. Louis on Monday Night was with Turner still as our head coach, not Marty.

Was that St. Louis game during Norv's last year? Man, how time flies when the team is winning!!! I don't disagree with you, my demoralized Canuck friend. I do think that they showed some lustre coming back from 0-5...but I don't think that Marty would have done any better with the team the next year. hiring Spurrier, on the other hand...they maybe could have made a better choice than that!!

Xanathos.......I respect your opinion regarding what Marty's success would have been the following year, but the bottom line in my mind is that as boring of a brand of football we may have played under him, he earned the right to coach the next season based on that finish. With that being said, I understand that other factors came into play in the decision to let him go. Yes, its easy to criticize now that Spurrier ain't getting the job done, but I clearly don't think that he has done anything either to warrant being here next season. Fact of the matter is that he's in the right place at the right time. Any other team who hasn't experienced change after change like us, would have him packing in two weeks.

Archived