Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Say we were to draft Sean Taylor

Skins26

Matt Bowen looked really really bad today, as he does a lot.

I think Iffy has proved he can be a pretty good safety in this league and he is worth resigning and keeping here, he's only getting better every week.

So say we were to use our first rounder to draft FS Sean Taylor, then what would we do with Matt Bowen.

Im not real familiar with how much on average starting safeties get paid in this league. I mean is he getting paid too much to sit on the bench???? Would we have to cut him or what???

NavyDave,

If you havent seen him play your missing out. He's been described as hitting/tackling like Williams, and covering like Ed Reed.

If the ball is thrown near him he has excellent hands and picks it off, if its a little too far away he catches up and lays a huge hit. He is 6'3 230 and runs like a sub 4.3 forty, he's just sick.

If we were keeping track of missed tackles on this team, ohalete would be at the top, and bowen would be at the bottom. Not only would drafting taylor allow us to move bowen to his natural position, but it would turn our secondary around immediately.

However, this should only be done if we have 2 #1's this season, which we won't.

-DB

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Except he gets burned by guys like Ernest Wilford on sixty yard bombs ;)

Still think he is great, just not a first round pick for THIS Redskins team

I think we need to upgrade BOTH safety spots. I don't see what everyone sees in Iffy, he misses tackles, is often out of position in coverage and doesn't make up for that by making big plays. Sure he can pick a pass off if it's thrown right at him, but that's about it. Bowen is awful. Taylor is going to be a Roy Williams type and will be a much better value than the d-lineman in this draft who all will be overrated due to the lack of quality at the position(s).

I second that.............you can't just draft a defensive lineman because that's your most important need.........you have to draft the BEST talent that's available.............I would be VERY HAPPY to draft Kevin Jones or Sean Taylor...........Matt Bowen looked terrible yesterday, on more than one occasion........for someone who was supposedly playing so well in training camp, and laying the big hits on people, I haven't seen that guy very much this year........instead, i've seen the guy that dives at tacklers and misses, has interceptions that float right into his hands, that and end up being dropped..................it's been a long, long, long, time since the Redskins have a decent safety, let alone two decent safeties...........that was one area that Marvin Lewis tried to and wanted to address when he was here, but never got done.......and using Bowen and Iffy, is like putting a bandaid on a broken arm. Neither have great speed, and neither use the best angles for tackling............Sean Taylor would be a very welcome addition in this secondary, and anybody who can't see that, must not be watching the same team that I watch every week.

I agree at this stage of the game we have needs at nearly every position other than QB & WR, so drafting the BPA is a good move.

Taylor is a stud, the best defensive player in college ball & he will be a Roy Williams type in the pros. I would be all for drafting him, but I think the Texans will give him a long look, so he may not be there when we pick.

DL is our biggest need no doubt, but this yrs class is lacklustre with the players at the top being overrated IMO. I would still draft a DL in the 1st if the pick offered good value, but I would not expect an immediate return on the pick.

Bottom line is our team needs more overall speed & smarts on the roster.

We have to go D Line in free agency. The only one worth taking in the top 10 is Tommy Harris. And he'll be gone almost immediately.

Sean Taylor is better than Roy Williams. If Taylor is there, I think we have to take him, if he's gone, I think we have to take either Kevin Jones, Stephen Jackson, or Kellen Winslow Jr., these three guys would really really improve our offense and be a HUGE factor in us winning more games immdediately next season.

I dont think this whole defense needs to be revamped, they didnt do as badly as everyone thinks, they were just on the field the entire game, plus the fact that they lost motivation due to the fact that the offense was doing NOTHING!!!

We need to pick up some guys in FA for the D Line, I would LOVE to have Kearse but I dont know if that is possible or what. I would also like to bring Champ back of course. And if we cant get Kearse I would like us to give a serious look at Grant Winstrom, I think he's the kinda guy we need for this D Line. We need to resign Russell. And there is a guy from D1-AA that plays DE that is supposed to be a very very good pass rusher. I forget his name at the time, but he's had 6 sacks in one game before, Kiper says he's about a 3rd or 4th round pick, I saw him playing the other day and he really looks like the real deal, I think it would be seriously worth it if we gave him a real look in the 3rd round.

the safties are fine.........but they're not good, much less great.........which is something that Sean Taylor will be.

Anytime you can pick up a talent like that, you should..........the only reason we wouldn't, would be if we had Dallas' starting safeties.............or the like.

Like a poster above said...........there are mulitple areas for improvement in perosonnel on this team...........no matter where you use the pick, you could pretty much justify it, other than Wide reciever or QB.......other than that, this team needs big help.............pick for talent, not for position!

Originally posted by Skins26

We have to go D Line in free agency. The only one worth taking in the top 10 is Tommy Harris. And he'll be gone almost immediately.

Tommy Harris is living off of his frosh season, he has looked pretty bad this yr, he can't even deal with a single blocker, nevermind the double team. At this stage his best move would be to return for his senior season & work on his technique, he is notteady for the pros.

Archived