Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2020 The Non Presidential Edition

Cooked Crack

20 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Ok, hang on...I thought the special election was for Isakson's seat, but the dingy blonde got appointed...I've never been confused about GA politics before...😆

GA has two Senate races this year. The normal one for Perdue's seat and the special for Isaksons former seat.

Democrats, eager to set the tone for 2020, piled into the race with money, endorsements, technology, lists and volunteers to help Elizabeth Markowitz defeat her Republican opponent. Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren and Mike Bloomberg all endorsed Ms. Markowitz. Mr. Bloomberg even carved out time from his presidential campaign to go door-to-door with her. Former presidential candidates Julián Castro and Robert Francis O’Rourke also canvassed neighborhoods, Mr. O’Rourke so frequently that it looked as if he was trying to establish residency.

Calling the race “the most important election (yet) in 2020,” the former El Paso congressman said a victory could help turn Texas blue and “build momentum” in the state for the eventual Democratic presidential nominee.

The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee echoed Mr. O’Rourke’s enthusiasm, saying that flipping the district would be “earth-shattering.” The Texas House Democratic Campaign Committee called the race “a dead heat” in the campaign’s final week.

Former Attorney General Eric Holder, chairman of the National Democratic Redistricting Committee, said if Ms. Markowitz was elected, she’d be “a key voice in fixing our broken political system.” His praise was accompanied by $50,000 in contributions, part of the nearly $1.3 million from national and state Democratic groups. More than 70% of Ms. Markowitz’s contributors were from outside Texas, and more than 94% from outside her district, according to Texas Ethics Commission campaign reports.

All these hopes of a Democratic victory were shattered Tuesday. In the biggest turnout in history for a Texas House special runoff, Republican Gary Gates walloped Ms. Markowitz 58% to 42%. His 16-point margin of victory was more than twice the Republican incumbent’s in 2018 and larger than the district margins for President Trump in 2016 (10 points) and Sen. Ted Cruz in 2018 (three)

https://www.rove.com/article/1-30-20-wsj

The first significant ad buy for state Sen. Erica Smith, a Democratic candidate for US Senate in North Carolina, appears to be backed by Republicans.

Faith and Power, a new political action committee with ties to Republicans, formally launched on January 29 and quickly placed a $1.56 million broadcast ad in the Democratic primary, according to filings with the Federal Election Commission and the Kantar Media's Campaign Media Analysis Group.

Spending 1.5 mill shows they definitely worried about a race against Cal Cunningham.

2 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Yep. They trying to help a weaker candidate win the primary instead of the front runner.

And I read the article.  Sounds like they're "trying to help her win the primary" by highlighting how extreme left she is.  (I have no idea how true it is, but I doubt it would help her in the general.)  

1 minute ago, Larry said:

And I read the article.  Sounds like they're "trying to help her win the primary" by highlighting how extreme left she is.  (I have no idea how true it is, but I doubt it would help her in the general.)  

You're not the audience. They're trying to pull a Clair McCaskill.

https://www.businessinsider.com/claire-mccaskill-todd-akin-missouri-senate-campaign-ad-2012-8

Archived