Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

7 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Lol Nats were down 7-0 and tied it with 7 in the 9th.

Hell yeah. Armando Cruz with a grand slam to tie it up. Crews may end up getting a fifth AB.

After the GS, Thomas (who has 40 SB 😱) got an infield single and tried to score on a bloop hit, but got thrown out at the plate.

Edited by Ball Security

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

These guys have nothing to lose right now. Not fighting for a playoff spot. While it sucks to have so many loses, the freedom to just go out and play must be nice. 

They're playing really well, not beating themselves, rather letting other teams do that. They're also doing this largely against playoff contenders. I'm looking forward to more developments next year, plus I think they'll sign a big free agent this off-season. Lots to look forward to!

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

They're playing really well, not beating themselves, rather letting other teams do that. They're also doing this largely against playoff contenders. I'm looking forward to more developments next year, plus I think they'll sign a big free agent this off-season. Lots to look forward to!

What’s the corresponding move for Williams and what is the plan? Unverified, I saw that it would be Willingham. Do they go to a six man rotation? Does Williams go to the bullpen. If Adon stays up, he should get starts while he’s here.

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

What’s the corresponding move for Williams and what is the plan? Unverified, I saw that it would be Willingham. Do they go to a six man rotation? Does Williams go to the bullpen. If Adon stays up, he should get starts while he’s here.

I think they sent Willingham down. A 6 man rotation would not be a bad idea.

41 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think they sent Willingham down. A 6 man rotation would not be a bad idea.

They still have five other guys on the 60 day and a few more that have to be protected from the rule V on the 40 man this offseason. So there will be some decisions to be made. Not too many people who will naturally fall off the roster (Edwards). I could see them not offering Robles arbitration. They have a ton of relievers and will likely have to cut there.

Edited by Ball Security

Here is the 40-man roster: https://www.mlb.com/nationals/roster/40-man

I see several easy cuts/free agents: Abbott, Arano, Edwards, Robert Garcia, Rico Garcia, Harris, La Sorsa, Trevor Williams, Chavis, Downs, Andres Machado.

A couple others that would be on the fringe: Dom Smith, Stone Garrett, Alex Call, Andres Machado, and Robles

We also have 5 players on the 60 day IL: Arano (cut), Rainey (who is due off soon and we might see this year), Cavalli, Robles (possibly cut), and...Strasburg. Honestly, I think Stras might retire after this year.

32 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I see several easy cuts/free agents: Abbott, Arano, Edwards, Robert Garcia, Rico Garcia, Harris, La Sorsa, Trevor Williams, Chavis, Downs, Andres Machado.

A couple others that would be on the fringe: Dom Smith, Stone Garrett, Alex Call, Andres Machado, and Robles

We also have 5 players on the 60 day IL: Arano (cut), Rainey (who is due off soon and we might see this year), Cavalli, Robles (possibly cut), and...Strasburg. Honestly, I think Stras might retire after this year.

Why cut Robles?

48 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You see them eating $7M on Williams’ contract?

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

The idea would be that he would be blocking Wood/Hassell/Crews in CF. He’s a FA after 24. I don’t think I’d offer him arbitration when Call is a capable 5th OFer at 1/6 the cost.

Gotcha...I was thinking they could get something for him in a trade vs. outright release. Granted he's been hurt a lot this year but seems to have fixed some issues at the plate. 

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The idea would be that he would be blocking Wood/Hassell/Crews in CF. He’s a FA after 24. I don’t think I’d offer him arbitration when Call is a capable 5th OFer at 1/6 the cost.

Call is more reliable. Robles makes the same stupid mistakes time and time again--it's clear he doesn't take to coaching.

17 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

1 pitch to CJ and he crushes it. 

And then Lane Thomas in the 2nd pitch. 

Clutch J Abrams is making no one miss Trea Turner right now. I might need to get a navy blue #5 soon.

Abrams is averaging 104 MPH off the bat in to ABs today. That homer was demolished.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Machado being used for the third day in a row.

everyone got used 3 days in a row!

But we just swept another playoff hopeful team--this team man. I am pumped. Although, I really don't know who is available in the pen, to pitch tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

everyone got used 3 days in a row!

But we just swept another playoff hopeful team--this team man. I am pumped. Although, I really don't know who is available in the pen, to pitch tomorrow.

Should just go Weems, Machado, and Finnegan three innings a piece for the rest of the season.

I love the win, but damn, three guys who went three days in a row and Garcia pitching two innings today. They only have Ferrer to pitch out of the pen tomorrow. Because I don’t think Abbott and La Sorsa actually travel with the team.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Should just go Weems, Machado, and Finnegan three innings a piece for the rest of the season.

I love the win, but damn, three guys who went three days in a row and Garcia pitching two innings today. They only have Ferrer to pitch out of the pen tomorrow. Because I don’t think Abbott and La Sorsa actually travel with the team.

Always take the win in hand, see what happens tomorrow. It's going to be the C Pen tomorrow though, probably will get ugly.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

So why did Pinckney not get more hype?

He’s a late bloomer. Didn’t get much hype coming out of high school. Was ranked 500 (by Perfect Game) in the class of 2019. Didn’t play in 2020. Played sparingly in 21. 

He’s definitely interesting, but these guys should crush in low A. Definitely worth a follow when he goes to Wilmington.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 2