Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Hmm.  The Nats Talk guy(s) mentioned him a couple days ago.  Williams excelled as a reliever with the Mets.  He made, I think, nine starts with varying levels of success.  He used to be a starter with Pittsburgh.  Perhaps we are giving him an opportunity to start.

He does have some personality.

The 40 man is now full.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think having multiple guys who can go both ways (hi-yo!) is necessary with Cavalli and Gore in the rotation. They are going to limit their innings, so we'll need people who can fill them. Ward, Williams, and Espino fill those roles nicely.

Those three and Abbott too.  Add Gore, Gray, Cavalli, and Corbin and you have eight.  Then you need five guys to work the back end: Finnegan, Harvey, Edwards, Machado/Arano/Thompson/Weems, and Cronin/Frerer.

I’m not well versed on which ones have options.

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Those three and Abbott too.  Add Gore, Gray, Cavalli, and Corbin and you have eight.  Then you need five guys to work the back end: Finnegan, Harvey, Edwards, Machado/Arano/Thompson/Weems, and Cronin/Frerer.

I’m not well versed on which ones have options.

I am not sure about options either--but there's another name to watch: Zack Brzykcy. Showed a lot this past year over AA and AAA. I do like the backend of our pen--if Harvey can stay healthy, he'll be lights out.

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am not sure about options either--but there's another name to watch: Zack Brzykcy. Showed a lot this past year over AA and AAA. I do like the backend of our pen--if Harvey can stay healthy, he'll be lights out.

Yeah, he’s a guy to keep an eye on though he’s not currently on the 40.  I looked at Fangraphs and it seems like all of the relievers have an option except Machado and Edwards.  And, of course, Ward has to stay on the roster.  They project an all righty pen.

They also do minor league roster projections.  I’m definitely gonna make a game or two at Fredericksburg.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/nationals

Erasmo Ramirez is coming back according to Heyman, Dougherty, etc.  They’ll need to make a corresponding 40 man move.  At this moment, I’d project the 26 man to be:

Thomas-9

Abrams-6

Meneses-7

Candelario-3

Garcia-4

Ruiz-2

M Adams-DH

Alu-5

Robles 6

R Adams, Kieboom, Vargas, Call

Gray, Cavalli, Gore, Corbin, Williams

Doolittle, Machado, Ramirez, Espino, Ward, Edwards, Harvey, Finnegan.

They’ll need two spots on the 40 for Adams and Doolittle, but they can get those with Rainey and Strasburg on the 60-day DL.

Rochester: starters: Abbott, Adon, Romero, Irvin, Alexy, Tetreault.  I’d imagine they could do a six man rotation.  If not send one down to Harrisburg along with Evan Lee.

bullpen: Arano, Weems, Thompson, Cronin, Brzykcy, Harris, Castro.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Haha.  I came to post the exact same tweet.  I like the idea of Mancini on the roster.  I’m not thrilled with the idea of him in left field.  But, as of now, there are no starting LFers on the roster.  Do they not feel like Meneses can hold down a spot. Is his defense that bad?  I’d convert Kieboom to LF.  No, you can’t pencil him in.  But they liked his bat in ST last year.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

It'd at least be an offseason signing. The moves they've made this offseason have been concerning. No big moves, just claiming Downs off waivers

This isn't surprising at all. The top FAs were never in play for us, and I wouldn't want Taijuan Walker, Jameson Taillon, or Dansby Swanson for what they signed for.

Plus, they'd block/take meaningful ABs from too many up and coming prospects like Cavalli, Gore, Ruiz, and Abrams. We have prospects at a lot of positions: 3B: Alu/Kieboom, signed Candelario, House a while away. SS: Abrams job to lose. 2B: Garcia's job to lose. 1B: Could use someone here, Menses will regress. In talks with Mancini, supposedly. C: Ruiz job to lose. OF: Thomas, Robles are in, LF is open. Hassell is at AA and, if all goes well, will push for promotion sometime this year---plus we have a glut of blue chip OFers in the minors.

Outside of the Judge, deGrom, Rodon types, there is no one that you can point to and say "they'd help us in 3 years when we are ready to compete again." The Cubs, I think, are just spending to spend. I really dislike their moves--they overpaid for marginal talent, especially Swanson.