Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Court of Public Opinion

“Misdirection”

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think the current Praada issue fits good in this thread.

I think this is an issue of over-sensitivity especially when you look at the whole line that it is a part of.  Then a NY city councilman said they may as well be selling nooses and swastikas.  Really?  You think this rises to that level?  I respectfully disagree. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjVqafs_aHfAhUCTd8KHSUkCvgQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2Fstyle%2Farticle%2Fprada-pulls-products-blackface-imagery%2Findex.html&psig=AOvVaw3m5Jxt3dZHBv09vn0oBU_n&ust=1544968378344287&cshid=1544881976259

Eh, global corporations have a long history of offering products that can be considered offensive in some markets.  It’s just good business to pull the product and move on.  This incident doesn’t really fit the spirit of the OP.

Didnt see anything about the councilman in the article but, for black Americans, blackface/Sambo stuff is absolutely comparable to Nazi imagery.  

21 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Eh, global corporations have a long history of offering products that can be considered offensive in some markets.  It’s just good business to pull the product and move on.  This incident doesn’t really fit the spirit of the OP.

Didnt see anything about the councilman in the article but, for black Americans, blackface/Sambo stuff is absolutely comparable to Nazi imagery.  

This will be a shorter response than I intended because now I can't respond from my computer.  I disagree that it doesn't fit the OP.  Court of Public Opinion doesn't have to be only a person or only things from the past.

The city councilman was an interview I saw on some morning show.  I don't know what Sambo is in context here (google says russian martial arts?) and I admit that I'm not black so I view it differently, but this isn't black face.  This is one cartoonish figure in a line of cartoonish figures.

I'm interested what others think also.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This will be a shorter response than I intended because now I can't respond from my computer.  I disagree that it doesn't fit the OP.  Court of Public Opinion doesn't have to be only a person or only things from the past.

The city councilman was an interview I saw on some morning show.  I don't know what Sambo is in context here (google says russian martial arts?) and I admit that I'm not black so I view it differently, but this isn't black face.  This is one cartoonish figure in a line of cartoonish figures.

I'm interested what others think also.

#cartoonishfigures

644440795.0.m.jpg

@TryTheBeal!  I did a little (emphasis on little) research on that Sambo character because I wasn't familiar with it.   From what I see, it originally was a book character invented in 1899.  Not really a time where I would expect enlightenment on the subject of racial sensitivity.  Yet the character was one of the first black children's book heroes in literature.   As it went through time, names were replaced but the story remained generally the same because there wasn't racial overtones in the story itself.  So other than a character whose drawing is out of touch based on current times what is the racist part here?

In my admittedly limited knowledge, these seems actually a good example of the topic of this thread.  

Archived