Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In defense of Martyball

Burgold

We’re 5-2 and you can tell Jay Gruden ain’t happy.  He wants to throw the ball better so bad he can’t stand it lol.  We’re not going back to Marty ball by any means.  He’s gonna get the passing game goin.  

Love how we’ve built the team around the defense though.  I wouldn’t be mad if we got another Bama lineman next draft lol.  been preaching to any fan that’ll hear it...you pressure any qb in his face early and often, you win.  We can finally do that.  

Pressure without a blitz is a luxury we haven’t had since Mann, Manley and butz.  That’s a long time

jay Gruden isn’t going to rest on the laurels of ap.  We know ap can carry us.  That is important.  It’s allowed us to win in spite of injuries to key players on offense...which has had an impact on the sync Alex Smith has with the offense now.  

The stove is warming up folks.  ?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I don’t know that we can quite call today’s effort “Martyball” though it was on offense. 

It featured everything i hate about Martyball, but this time the team that made zero mistakes beat the team that made all the plays. 

Disclaimer:  couldn't watch the game. (Work Sundays). Followed the play by play on ESPN.com. 

Not sure I'd say they "made all the plays". Unless "all the plays" includes "four turnovers". 

But TB did win a lot of the stat battles. At least near the end they were even ahead of us on time of possession. So I think that does somewhat reinforce your point. 

That's fair, @Larry. What I meant was that TB made all the plays on offense. Even that's not quite true. Smith had a couple throws and Peterson pretty much finished off a Riggo drill (although we did have to punt the ball back to them with 17 seconds.)

Archived