Extremeskins

Skins.com:Backup RBs Could Share Load Sunday

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12381

Backup RBs Could Share Load Sunday

12/10/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Chad Morton, John Simon and Sultan McCullough took the bulk of reps at tailback during Wednesday's practice and could share duties in this Sunday’s game against Dallas, head coach Steve Spurrier said.

Ladell Betts was officially listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game with a left forearm injury. Trung Canidate was listed as questionable with an ankle sprain. Both players re-aggravated the injuries in the Giants game last Sunday and sat out Wednesday’s practice. Complete Injury Report.

“Chad, Sultan and John Simon all looked quick and fast out there today,” Spurrier said. “So if Trung cannot go and Ladell is out, those three will be our guys.”

Fullback Rock Cartwright could also see some action at tailback. He usually receives a handful of carries out of the tailback position in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

When Betts and Canidate were both injured earlier this year, Cartwright was used more at tailback. In the Redskins’ 27-20 victory over Seattle in Week 10, he rushed for 81 yards on 13 carries.

“Coach Hue [Jackson, offensive coordinator] mentioned to me that I might play more tailback this week, so I’m preparing to play either fullback or tailback,” Cartwright said. “I won’t have a different mindset knowing that I might play more tailback—I just know I have to go out there and play well.”

Cartwright is listed as probable for Sunday’s game against Dallas with a sprained ankle. For the game Sunday, he intends to wear a special brace that increases his flexibility and ability to run from side to side.

Morton had the bulk of carries in last Sunday’s 20-7 win over the New York Giants and ran impressively in the second half. He rushed for 56 yards on 13 carries, a 4.3 yards per carry average.

Morton, who has had a sprained ankle and the flu in recent weeks, was listed as probable for Sunday’s game against the Cowboys.

Spurrier has been touting Simon in recent weeks as a player who appears to be ready for an increased workload. Since joining the Redskins midway through the season, he has had minimal game action. In the Seattle game, he had two carries for nine yards as a tailback.

“There’s a chance we’re going to get John Simon ready to play,” Spurrier said earlier this week. “John has been with us for a while. This may be a good opportunity for him to play quite a bit this week.”

Injuries Updated

Wide receiver Laveranues Coles re-aggravated the toe injury that’s been bothering him in recent weeks and left practice early on Wednesday. Spurrier expects Coles to be available to play in Sunday’s game.

Another wide receiver, Taylor Jacobs, sat out Wednesday's and was listed as questionable for Sunday’s game with a foot injury. Spurrier was not optimistic that Jacobs would be ready to play against Dallas.

Left tackle Chris Samuels also sat out Wednesday’s practice to rest his sprained knee. He was listed as questionable for Sunday’s game.

Linebacker LaVar Arrington practiced lightly on Wednesday, Spurrier said. He was listed as probable for the Dallas game.

“LaVar did a little bit today,” Spurrier said. “He’s all sprained up with a sprained knee and a sprained ankle. He was able to finish the Giants game last week. He’ll be ready for the Cowboys. He’ll ice up all week, but he’ll be ready to go.”

Originally posted by TK421CLICKER

Another wide receiver, Taylor Jacobs, sat out Wednesday's and was listed as questionable for Sunday’s game with a foot injury. Spurrier was not optimistic that Jacobs would be ready to play against Dallas.

Please tell me he's not the second coming of Ike Hilliard. :doh:

We are never going to establish a starter by giving them all a minimum number of carries each game.

Start a RB..... give him the damn ball 25 times for a couple of games, and if he doesn't produce.......... make someone else a starter for a couple of games.

Christ, don't the Redskin coaches read my posts here each week to learn anything? :laugh:

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

"well, gosh, I'd like to settle on just one RB, but we have so many of them."

Blah blah.

PICK A FRIGGIN RB. Jesus. Morton, Rock, Simon, Whoever. Just pick one.

IMHO, Jesus would make a great tailback! I think Dan might be able to get him, but I'd bet he'd want a long term contract.

I bet he'd be a great locker room presence too.

Although I have heard he's close with Deion.

Think he can pass protect?

Washington 13 359 27.6 1424 4.0 109.5 7 81 9

we're avg'ing 4.0 yards a carry, 109.5 per game, no one back has stepped up to be the feature back, and we have had more than 2 backs per game injured since game 3.

RB by committee is working, not one back has proved durable enough to post better numbers regularly, until they do.... stick to what's working.

Originally posted by WallyG3

IMHO, Jesus would make a great tailback! I think Dan might be able to get him, but I'd bet he'd want a long term contract.

:laugh: :laugh: ....Spurrier to Ramsey: Deep fly route on 3. If they blitz audible to Savior draw....:rotflmao:

Originally posted by Demoralized Canadian Hog

Bubba, you make a good point. But the fact of the matter is that this team doesn't have a back that strikes fear in defenses.

Well, hell. If that's the criterion let's pick up Lawrence Phillips.

It's not the guys running the ball we need to worry about, it's the guy calling the plays.

Spurrier calls plays like I do in Madden.

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

I haven't run in awhile, huh? Run

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Originally posted by bobzmuda

Well, hell. If that's the criterion let's pick up Lawrence Phillips.

It's not the guys running the ball we need to worry about, it's the guy calling the plays.

Spurrier calls plays like I do in Madden.

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

I haven't run in awhile, huh? Run

Pass

Pass

Pass

Pass

we avg 29 run plays a game, we played from behind in the 2nd half several games this season. a senerio in which evey team throws almost every down. We ran 48 times Sunday. :doh: lets not let facts stop anyone from bashing the ball coach

Originally posted by bubba9497

we avg 29 run plays a game, we played from behind in the 2nd half several games this season. a senerio in which evey team throws almost every down. We ran 48 times Sunday. :doh: lets not let facts stop anyone from bashing the ball coach

The problem isn't that he didn't the run ball last week. It's that it looks like it's taken him 2 whole years to figure this out.

Does he have a good grasp on it now? I hope so. But don't for one second think he's called a natural balance of run and pass throughout the year.

Originally posted by WallyG3

:laugh:

He's a great bad-weather back. He can walk on water.

do you realize we were 11th in rushing last season? 11th out of 32 teams.

play calling is not the problem, execution of the plays are whats bogging us down. All the missed receivers, dropped balls, backs missing blocks, or missing the open hole. Defensive players blowing assignments. "if" we connect on 4 or 5 of those missed oppurunities a game we make the playoffs :doh:

Archived