Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On the topic of DE's....how's Kenard Lang doing?

@DCGoldPants

Originally posted by speedwagon20

Does anyone remember how we lost Lang? Did we just not make an attempt to resign him when he became a free agent?

In the spring of 2002, he signed a five-year, $17 million deal with the Browns that included a $3.4 million signing bonus, so he has 3 more years on his contract after this year. He was our 1st round draft pick (17th overall) in 1997. I think his contract with us was up in 2001 and we let him go.

I wish we had kept N.D. Kalu and Kenard Lang. We could have reupped them for less than we are paying Wynn and Upshaw, and we wouldn't have the DE problem we have now. Also, Shawn Barber and Kevin Mitchell would have been as good as Trotter and Armstead for a lot less. Seems like we don't realize what we have until its gone.

I dunno. I seem to remember not being too upset that we let Kalu go. He was a backup spot-duty player for us, and at the time not nearly worth what they gave him. That he is thriving in now says more about Philly's coaching staff than Kalu I think.

Originally posted by Henry

Not really. More money over a longer contract I guess. But Wynn was signed to replace Coleman, wasn't he?

That's a matter of perspective. It was the same offseason. We had the opportunity to resign Kenard, and we chose to let him walk and sign Wynn. I think what happened was rather obvious.

Yeah, Kalu and Lang were so good that they couldn't wrest a starting spot from any of the myriad DEs that were starting in front of them here.

I agree with Henry - they're probably being used better now than they were while they were here, but neither is a guy you design a defense around, and you can't break your neck paying for them, either.

Lang never really showed until he played DT under Marty. Kalu made one play that I recall - that sack of Collins that caused a fumble that Coleman returned for a TD. Not really sure why we're crying over them now.

BTW, we had a GM when Kalu was let go. His name was Marty.

Originally posted by CrankyTodd

That's a matter of perspective. It was the same offseason. We had the opportunity to resign Kenard, and we chose to let him walk and sign Wynn. I think what happened was rather obvious.

Yes it was. Lang wanted a $10 mil signing bonus from us. We said no. He signed elsewhere for a lot less. We signed Wynn.

Personally I'm ok with all that.

Up until his contract year Lang was a 1st round bust. He finally woke up when it was contract time (like Gardner?) and played up to his hype as a DE from Miami and a first round pick.

Yes, he has played well in Cleveland. If he had played here for all the years on our roster, and not just his contract year, like he did in Cleveland the past 2 years, we should have resigned him.

But he did not, and we did not.

What we are seeing is the difficulties posed by the salary cap. In the old days teams would stockpile players like Kalu and Lang, and as they developed in your system, they then became good players in their 4th or 5th season. Now the GM/Coach has to make a decision after 1 year-3 years. The good ones (lucky ones) hit paydirt.

Look at QBs: many of the #1 picks are struggling, while all of these guys who played in Europe are doing well. Why? They have had a chance to sit, watch, learn, practice, and are now ready to play.

Same with other positions. Sometimes it takes years to develop into a qulaity NFL player. This is a TOUGH, DEMANDING job.

:dallasuck

Archived