Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alliance of American Football - New League In 2019

Dont Taze Me Bro

When Vince McMahon's XFL returns to the airwaves in 2020, it could face some extreme football competition.

That's because the Alliance of American Football is set to launch in February 2019 -- the week after Super Bowl LIII.

The new league is a joint effort between producer and director Charlie Ebersol and several former NFL players.

Rest of the article can be found at the following link:  Alliance of American Football League

Pretty interesting, sounds like Ebersol is getting a jump on Vince and the XFL and has a more sound plan than Vince does right now.  I like their plan to integrate fantasy football (for their league) into their app with the streaming games.  Shorter games, less commercials, no more on-sides kicks or kickoffs.  They are holding regional drafts once the 8 team city locations are determined.  And targeting college players that did not get drafted or signed by the NFL.  

I think this will be more successful than the new XFL in 2020.  And from another article I read where Ebersol where he said the expectations after one year will not be set high, they have a 7-10 year plan.  I don't know if it will last 7-10 years, but if done correctly, I could see it going for a short run (3-4 years), who knows. 

48 minutes ago, Bang said:

Doesn't sound like they are going to try to compete with the NFL, rather make a living off of the NFL's scraps.

Plenty of players out there. Might be interesting.

~Bang

Exactly, so the talent level of the league would most likely be equal to collegiate level, sprinkled with some ex-NFL players that made it but didn't last long.  Based on what the articles say, it sounds like he has an actual plan in place and knows what direction they want and have set lower expectations in the early years as far as attendance, etc.  

Sounds a lot better than the XFL2 and they get a one year head start.  I bet ole Vince is fuming right now :ols: 

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 1:20 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Rest of the article can be found at the following link:  Alliance of American Football League

Pretty interesting, sounds like Ebersol is getting a jump on Vince and the XFL and has a more sound plan than Vince does right now.  I like their plan to integrate fantasy football (for their league) into their app with the streaming games.  Shorter games, less commercials, no more on-sides kicks or kickoffs.  They are holding regional drafts once the 8 team city locations are determined.  And targeting college players that did not get drafted or signed by the NFL.  

I think this will be more successful than the new XFL in 2020.  And from another article I read where Ebersol where he said the expectations after one year will not be set high, they have a 7-10 year plan.  I don't know if it will last 7-10 years, but if done correctly, I could see it going for a short run (3-4 years), who knows. 

Based on what has developed thus far, I think the XFL has a better shot at longevity than the AAF.

1.  The AAF has chosen mostly smaller media markets (Salt Lake City, Memphis, etc) and only one top 10 media market (Atlanta).  There isn't much advertising revenue potential in their body of market choices.

2.  The XFL has "been there, done that."  Vince probably learned a few things from the first go round, and he knows he is going to have to lose money for years before he builds a brand.  He wouldn't be doing this again if he was only willing to lose money for one season before pulling out.

3.  The XFL made a huge investment in Luck, which confirmed that Vince is pretty serious.

If the XFL puts a team in Washington, DC that is the league that will draw my interest.  

On 3/20/2018 at 2:51 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Exactly, so the talent level of the league would most likely be equal to collegiate level, sprinkled with some ex-NFL players that made it but didn't last long.  Based on what the articles say, it sounds like he has an actual plan in place and knows what direction they want and have set lower expectations in the early years as far as attendance, etc.  

Sounds a lot better than the XFL2 and they get a one year head start.  I bet ole Vince is fuming right now :ols: 

There are like 5 thousand NCAA footbal players that graduate from college every year.  The NFL takes very, very few of those and scouting is not a perfect science.  Clearly these teams are going to be better than NCAA teams, but it doesn't help that the AAF and XFL will be competing for players.

Archived