Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"The Secret" by Byron Preiss- a treasure hunt. (recent Expedition Unknown episode)

grego

who doesnt love a treasure hunt?

41Lzv0p1OEL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

preiss wrote this book in 1982. it contained 12 short riddles and 12 illustrations that contained clues to 12 small buried ceramic casks which contained a key. you could sent the key to the author and he would send you the corresponding gemstone (worth about $1,000 or so). 

only 2 of the 12 casks have been found. so, who wants to find treasure?

the book was the subject of the most recent episode of expedition unknown, which was quite fun. it shows how the 2 keys were found, interviewing the people who found them. the last people to find a key, in 2004 in cleveland (the first one was found in chicago in 1984), recorded their search, which is fun to watch. 

heres the solved chicago illustration-

desb6e.jpg

this site details the clues and shows how they solved it, along with the cleveland solution and pretty indepth possible solutions for the other 10 casks. lots of information in there. so, if you have some spare time (days, weeks, etc) on your hands, and dont mind becoming completely obsessed and withdrawn from all friends and family, enter at your own risk.

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148518/Image 5 Verse 12 Solution

i have two ideas about the location of verse 10/illustration 12 (new york city), but the clues are often maddeningly vague and ambiguous. 

almost forgot to mention, the author died in a car accident in 2005, though his wife says the gems are in a safe deposit box. not that finding the cask isnt the real fun. so, the game is still on. anyway, i'm not sure she knows where the casks are buried. oh, and at least one of them (almost certainly new orleans) is believed to be gone, wiped out by katrina. 

happy hunting. 

18 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

what 

Edit:  Jokes aside, this is something I'd totally do if I had a lot of money and nothing else to do.

Where do you live? If you're near one of the cities, you just need a shovel (or something more inconspicuous, like an E tool or trowel). 

You wouldn't need much money, but maybe a little time - some of the clues don't make sense until you are there looking at your surroundings, like the outline of these buildings. 

Put three of the objects she is juggling together for the name of the city. 

5c527f671e0dc797f8100735e8be4e92.jpg

4 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

I watch Expidition Unknown every week. Cool show and I never knew about this either. I’m terrible at looking for hidden clues. The author definitely thought they would be easier to solve.

ya me too. one of my favorite shows for sure. i actually dont like 'destination truth' much- too much like 'ghost adventures' or 'finding bigfoot'- alot of hype but they never actually find anything. but i do like gates. tonight is supposed to be 'butch cassidys lost loot'. right up my alley in terms of treasure hunting mysteries. can't wait. 

heres the new york city image (its basically a lock its referring to NYC) and verse i've been intrigued by-

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/86290141/Verse 10

grid12.jpg

In the shadow
Of the grey giant
Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path
In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound
Car abound
Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native
The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.
Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

---------------------------------------------------------

a few things- i think the grey giant is probably the old twin towers, the shadow in summer may have fallen on wall street (slender path?).

indies native is most likely alexander hamilton, born in the west indies. the alexander hamilton custom house, a mansion built for the president of the us but never used as such, and which now contains the national museum of the american indian (the natives still speak?) is right next to battery park, which overlooks the statue of liberty/ellis island. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Hamilton_U.S._Custom_House

there is also a fort hamilton directly south of ellis island, in brooklyn, fwiw.

and thats about as far as i've gotten. ive read that some people are convinced its under/next to some tree in battery park, but havent heard why they think so. 

Archived