Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT- Oh, I'm going to be ticked off if this happens

bubba9497

Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1677405

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Last year, a trip to the Outback Bowl was something to tolerate for Florida. This season, it's a reason to celebrate.

The 16th-ranked Gators (8-4) accepted an invitation to the New Year's Day game in Tampa on Wednesday. Their opponent, likely No. 11 Purdue (9-3) or No. 12 Iowa (9-3), will be determined this weekend.

"I'm happy to hear that we will be getting another chance to play in front of our Gator fans in the state of Florida," coach Ron Zook said.

Although the quote was typical of the feel-good pablum coaches put out when bowl season rolls around, Zook's musings really can be construed as genuine.

The Gators were 3-3 in mid-October, coming off tough home losses to Tennessee and Ole Miss. Back then, some thought they wouldn't even make a bowl game. And as recently as Saturday, after their 38-34 loss to Florida State, they looked pegged for the Peach Bowl, which is a notch down from the Outback ($2.65 million payout compared to $2.1 million).

But Outback Bowl officials, so happy with the turnout at last year's game -- Florida's 38-30 loss to Michigan -- were happy to have the Gators back. And the Gators were happy to accept.

The Gators hadn't been to a game ranked below the Capital One Bowl, formerly known as the Citrus, since the current system gave that bowl the first choice of SEC teams not in the BCS.

Former coach Steve Spurrier used to joke that you couldn't spell Citrus without "UT" -- a dig at Florida's rival, Tennessee.

Once again, Tennessee could be the butt of the joke. The seventh-ranked Vols (10-2) finished ranked higher than Florida, have one (two) more win than Florida and beat the Gators head-to-head, but they may be getting the worst end of the deal.

Although they're still being considered for a BCS game, if they're passed on, and the Capital One Bowl takes the loser of the SEC title game, Tennessee could wind up back in the Peach Bowl, where it lost 30-3 to Maryland last season.

This will mark Florida's 11th straight bowl game on or after Jan

UT is ranked #7 ap, #8 USA/ESPN... #9 BCS Ole Miss is going to the Cotton Bowl, Tennessee should get a BCS bid, but if they get hosed... I will be extremely pissed off!!

:mad:

you have to understand UT - UF relationship the past 15 years. Them gators have cost us some SEC titles, and possibly another national title ( and we have messed them up only a couple times under Spurrier.) theres no love lost betwwen the schools.

it's the lack of respect

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

Why does it even matter? It's a shorter trip for you guys to go to Atlanta and for the Gators to go to Tampa and the SEC splits up the bowl money anyway.

There are two types of bowl games - the championship game and the rest of them.

Someone who is college football saavy, because I'm not, please educate me on this.

I understand there are several BCS bowl games that teams near the top hope to get into. But really what does it matter if your not in the top game?

Yeeeaaa we're number 4, hurray! What's the point?

I'll start watching college football when they find a way to incorporate a playoff system.

Originally posted by jbooma

Its not a lack of respect the Vols just don't have any player the nation wants to see play. Chris Leeks is why Florida is going to a bowl game. Everyone wants to see this kid play.

That spoiled brat, jerked Tennessee around for a year, then goes to Gatorland.

I disagree with your assesment. after a mid-season slump. Tennessee is playing as well as any team (except Oklahoma) in the country. UT brings fans, talent, and money.

what fan of college football wouldn't enjoy a UT-Michigan or UT-LSU, or UT-USC game?

and yes it is about recuriting, and bowl money..... or respect :D

You go into a top recruits home and can boast numerous TV games, trips to big bowl games, and a better shot at the NFL, it helps sell your school.

Originally posted by bubba9497

That spoiled brat, jerked Tennessee around for a year, then goes to Gatorland.

I disagree with your assesment. after a mid-season slump. Tennessee is playing as well as any team (except Oklahoma) in the country. UT brings fans, talent, and money.

True but you haven't played a good team since Miami, and they I believe are overated to begin with. Face it Tenn is not a sexy team and won't get ratings like a Florida team would. Besides Florda crushed Georgia who crushed Tenn. You also beat Florida very early in the season and I don't think Leeks had started a game yet.

"Besides Florda crushed Georgia" 16-13

FU is 8-4 UT 10-2 (check the rankings and strength of schedules)

Since beating the Canes in Miami

Nov 15 vs Mississippi St. W, 59-21

Nov 22 vs Vanderbilt W, 48-0

Nov 29 at Kentucky W, 20-7

FU last 4

November 1 No. 4 Georgia W 16-13 6-3 (4-2 SEC)

November 8 Vanderbilt W 35-17 7-3 (5-2 SEC)

November 15 at South Carolina W 24-22 8-3 (6-2 SEC)

November 29 No. 9 Florida State L 38-34 8-4 (6-2 SEC)

September 20 Tennessee L 24-10 @ the Swamp

Florida sexy? :rotflmao:

UT has one of the biggest followings of any team in the nation, rivaling only schools like Norte Dame, Michigan & Nebraska. There is no way FU would draw a bigger rating.

Originally posted by bubba9497

"Besides Florda crushed Georgia" 16-13

My bad I was looking at the wrong score. However Florida did hand LSU their only loss :)

Tenn can't say that.

Remember I am not a fan of either you are letting your emotions get to you ;)

K-State upsetting the Sooners takes away an extra at large bid so it looks like Tennessee & Texas are getting shafted for Ohio State?

The luckeyes are the most overated team in the top 20. If they played in the SEC or the Big 12, they would have been lucky to finish at .500

:cuss:

Archived