Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"They Basically Reset My Brain" - The Players' Tribune (Jermichael Finley)

PokerPacker

Saw this story written by Jermichael Finley about what he went through after head and neck injuries forced his early retirement from the NFL. 

I was strapped to a stretcher in the back of an ambulance, still in full uniform. Shoulder pads, helmet — everything except for my face mask. The trainers had taken that off while I was still lying on the field in front of 81,000 people at Lambeau. When we got to the hospital, the first room the paramedics took me to was freezing cold and the walls looked all rough and unpainted.

This didn’t feel like no hospital.

It felt like a morgue.

I wanted to yell, “Where are y’all taking me?” But I couldn’t. I was still gasping for air. It had been maybe 30 minutes since I had taken a hit from — You know what? I don’t even remember the guy’s name. I just remember his jersey number: 39.

So it had been maybe 30 minutes since I went across the middle and number 39 from the Browns hit me on the crown of my helmet, and I still couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t move my neck. I couldn’t feel my fingers or toes. I was numb.

For a second I thought, Maybe this IS the morgue … maybe I’m actually dead.

<click the link for more>

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jermichael-finley-packers-injury-retirement/

Yes, that was good. I hope that clinic and others like it can reduce the number of NFL players who experience chronic CTE. And I really would love to see the NFL put money into research to support research into how such therapies can address traumatic brain injuries in football players.

Yeah, posted this in the twitter thread a few days ago. Great read. 

Couldn't help but think about Reed the entire time. :/

I hope he makes his brain health a priority... at the very least, I wonder if these neurological exercises and treatments can be incorporated while someone is still playing. 

Archived