Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

High Speed Internet, Gaming, NAT type issues

codeorama

So, I've been having a lot of NAT type issues for some games, most I do not, but in particular, any UBI SOFT game and any CoD game.  No issues with Destiny.

Cox is my high speed internet company and I've been with them for 16 years, they have treated me great, I have 200 mps internet (150 on wifi) and i've been very happy with it. But, since I've been experiencing the NAT type issues, I've been back and forth between Cox and Netgear, the maker of the router we have from Cox.  Cox directs me to call them, Netgear says Cox has to fix it.  I know how to fix it on my own, but in the Netgear controls that are online when you log in, you can't do it because its different because of Cox.  There is no option. I'm pretty tech savvy and its a different interface than the normal beggar routers of the same model that are not from Cox.

Anyway, I switched to Verizon FIOS Gigibit plan.  It will get installed Saturday.  WAY faster than what I'm used to and I left a note for them regarding the NAT issues and that I want to make sure those are not a problem before they leave.

Can anyone suggest any advice to make sure I get everything correct before the Tech leaves?  I'm sure someone here has had issues similar.

Thanks in advance

Can you not buy your own modem and separate router? Most ISPs will have a list of supported modems, and some will charge equipment fees if you use the one they provide. Least, thats what TWC/Spectrum did. You lose support for the modem through the ISP buying your own (ie if its failing hardware), but honestly, I've had my modem for nearly 5 years and I've only had minor issues where a reboot resolves it. If a reboot doesn't resolve it, then its a quick call to the ISP to see if they're having an actual issue on their end.

26 minutes ago, mattsb84 said:

Can you not buy your own modem and separate router? Most ISPs will have a list of supported modems, and some will charge equipment fees if you use the one they provide. Least, thats what TWC/Spectrum did. You lose support for the modem through the ISP buying your own (ie if its failing hardware), but honestly, I've had my modem for nearly 5 years and I've only had minor issues where a reboot resolves it. If a reboot doesn't resolve it, then its a quick call to the ISP to see if they're having an actual issue on their end.

For Cox, yes, I could, but I was not going to do that again because I never had issues until the last 4-5 months.  I'd rather switch at this point because 900 mbps is way better than 200.  And for Fios, yes, I can and I guess I will have to consider that if the one I'm getting in the installation deal does not allow me to adjust it.

Great point.

Thanks

1 minute ago, codeorama said:

For Cox, yes, I could, but I was not going to do that again because I never had issues until the last 4-5 months.  I'd rather switch at this point because 900 mbps is way better than 200.  And for Fios, yes, I can and I guess I will have to consider that if the one I'm getting in the installation deal does not allow me to adjust it.

Great point.

Thanks

Telling you from experience that you are going to want your own device. I never had luck with the one Verizon provided.

And as for tips to make sure its working when they leave - easy. Try to schedule your call for the last of the day. Have beer on hand. Invite them to play it with you before they go. It worked on me more than once. 

1 minute ago, HooHog said:

I had NAT issues forever. Then I stopped playing on wifi and went hardwired right into the console.  Problem solved.  

This is the correct answer if you can do it. 

44 minutes ago, HooHog said:

I had NAT issues forever. Then I stopped playing on wifi and went hardwired right into the console.  Problem solved.  

I have my son's ps4 hardwired and mine is on wifi, but with the new install, they will both be hard wired. Hopefully that will help

43 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Telling you from experience that you are going to want your own device. I never had luck with the one Verizon provided.

And as for tips to make sure its working when they leave - easy. Try to schedule your call for the last of the day. Have beer on hand. Invite them to play it with you before they go. It worked on me more than once. 

I will buy my own device if needed, but going to try this first.

I do plan to have them play before they leave and I did get the last spot of the day...!

Good luck w/ FIOS, their supposed speeds seem to vary, and depending on the game it is a huge PITA. I've had substantial and chronic problems with them lagging depending on the time of day, almost like a periodic pulse in transmission. They of course don't give a rat's ass and have been no help at all.

I never thought I would say it but they have actually been worse than Comcast

23 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Good luck w/ FIOS, their supposed speeds seem to vary, and depending on the game it is a huge PITA. I've had substantial and chronic problems with them lagging depending on the time of day, almost like a periodic pulse in transmission. They of course don't give a rat's ass and have been no help at all.

I never thought I would say it but they have actually been worse than Comcast

I thought that the whole point of fios was that you were not "tied to others" in the neighborhood etc... I know Cox is affected by time of day a great deal.  My student teacher had cox and had the same issues I did and his family switched to fios and it was resolved so I am hopeful.  Regardless, I'm looking at this as a 1 year trial. I have a 1 year contract and after that, Cox should have their 1gig per second service available in my area and I'll switch if needed.  

The people I know that have fios in my area are happy with it.  We shall see...

Archived