Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Superbowl Moral for our OCs

Burgold

On the sack fumble, if Freeman actually blocks the blitzer and Ryan throws for a first down, we are praising the stones Kyle and the Falcons have. 

After the Julio catch, if they run it 3 times and miss the longer Fg, we are crushing them for packing it in. I criticized the Redskins as it was happening for playing for the FG against the Bengals and sure enough, they blew it. 

The falcons were aggressive all season and it got them one of the best offenses of all time and a near SB win. 

The execution was the problem not the play calling. Ryan can throw the ball away, Freeman picks up a block, the T doesn't put a sleeper hold on chris long etc. 

On 2/6/2017 at 10:54 PM, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I to this day have never understood the love for the fade. You're basically throwing the entire rest of the field down the drain. You're doing the other team a big favor by basically telling them they don't have to cover all but a sliver of the field. Fades are only 50/50 and thats absolute best case scenario if you're throwing to a Jones/Green/Bryant type.

Football coaches are some of the dumbest human beings on the planet.

The fade is a play you check out of a run to, on 1rst or 2nd down, when you have a favorable match up.

It's a solid play that everyone uses. You make it sound like the coaches tell everyone to look busy, because they're throwing it to one guy. That's not really how that works.

Theres nothing wrong with the fade, when correctly executed.

8 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

You run the ball 3 times, Bryant misses the FG the narrative is Shanahan played it too safe. You know and I know that how people would have looked at it. Those long ass sustaining drives NE had in the 2nd quarter, while they didn't yield a ton of points did help wear ATL defense down. You see how many times an offense has a long drive result in 6 points for the opposing defense, and the offense comes right back the next drive and scores since the defense has had no rest..

Can't make decisions based on what people will say after the game.  If Bryant misses a FG that he makes 95% of the time, so be it. 

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The fade is a play you check out of a run to, on 1rst or 2nd down, when you have a favorable match up.

It's a solid play that everyone uses. You make it sound like the coaches tell everyone to look busy, because they're throwing it to one guy. That's not really how that works.

Theres nothing wrong with the fade, when correctly executed.

There's nothing wrong with any play when it's correctly executed. The problem is that the fade is not very easy to execute. You need perfect touch on the ball, you need the receiver to jump at the right time, run the perfect route, etc. I don't have the numbers, but I'd love to see how often the fade is successful. I can only go anecdotally by how many times I've personally seen it used in 30+ years of watching football seriously, and I know I've had issues with that play for YEARS based on its ineffectiveness. The amount of times I've seen it actually work has got to be lower than 30 percent. It usually seems like a completely wasted down to me, especially when you're inside the five. I just don't get falling in love with low percentage plays when higher percentage options are always readily available. 

Unless you can find a new Harold Carmichael. In that case, throw the fade every time. 

And here's an interesting article from a couple years ago that shows some of the numbers with these fade routes. They're not good bets.
https://www.fantasyindex.com/2013/06/19/factoid/the-fade-route-is-overrated

Archived