Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Canidate not hitting any home runs with Redskins

TK

http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D7UUGTNG2.html

Canidate not hitting any home runs with Redskins

11/20/2003

By JOSEPH WHITE / Associated Press

Trung Canidate was hailed as a "home-run hitter in the backfield" on the day the Washington Redskins signed him. Instead, he's barely left the batter's box.

Canidate has been the biggest disappointment in an inconsistent running game this season, and he no longer appears to be considered as a possible answer to the team's long-range search for a primary back. Among Canidate, Ladell Betts, Chad Morton and Rock Cartwright, it's apparent the Redskins haven't sufficiently filled the void they created when they cut Stephen Davis.

"We haven't had a guy that has stepped forward and just taken over that position and run wild," offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said. "We have some guys who are capable, and we have to give them an opportunity to show if they can do it or not."

All four contenders have been injured, and Canidate remains the starter for the moment because he's the healthiest. He missed two games with a sprained ankle which still could be hampering him a bit, and his 347 yards on 87 carries makes him the team's leading rusher.

"We've been doing this by committee," Canidate said. "It was successful early on. It's not as successful right now. I hope we can get it going. It's rough on a running back, but I don't like to complain about the carries. I like to focus on what I am getting and take it from there."

Canidate and Betts were a solid tandem in the Redskins' 3-1 start, but the big plays Canidate was supposed to provide haven't been there all season. His longest run is 23 yards, and he has yet to score a rushing touchdown. He's caught just six passes for 66 yards, and his one touchdown catch was a trick play that called for him to run unnoticed to the end zone and wait for the ball.

"The guy has to be able to break a tackle," Jackson said. "This game is about making plays. The running back has got to make the extra plays."

Coaches asked Canidate to be more physical in last Sunday's game at Carolina. He was — but he didn't go anywhere. He had 10 carries for 18 yards.

"Trung answered the challenge," Jackson said. "He was very physical with the football. It didn't look like much from where everybody else was standing, but from where I was standing he slammed up there with the football. The difference is he's 202 pounds and when he slams up in there he may go down — as opposed to a bigger guy."

Jackson then described the type of runner the Redskins are looking for — and the description doesn't fit Canidate's darting, open-field style at all.

"Where we are right now, and what we're trying to become, is we need that physical presence," Jackson said. "And if a guy's going to be back there as our featured runner, that's what he must possess."

Sound like Davis? It sure does, but he was on the other sideline Sunday, leading the Panthers to another victory and an 8-2 record.

Meanwhile, the Redskins are 4-6. Betts will miss his fourth straight game this week with a broken arm. Morton has a sprained ankle and might play, but he's basically a kick returner who can run an occasional draw or screen. Cartwright's status is also uncertain because of a sprained ankle, but the converted fullback has earned the best reviews so far.

"The violence of running the football and coming out to the other side of the defense to get the second level is what our runners have to make sure that they possess every time," Jackson said. "And the guy that's done that very consistently has been Rock."

I haven’t been very impressed with Candidate either, but I can’t lay all the blame at his feet. Once again, our scheme (running by committee) also has a hand in the fact that none of the backs have had a stellar year. Their rational is that it keeps them fresh, but apparently it also keeps them out of rhythm, and makes them more injury prone because they are not consistently taking the hits a normal NFL back would.

:rolleyes:

The Skins aren't using him to the best of his abilities. The one problem with Trung that I have seen is his tendency to cut back in a hole. This is where he gets stuffed. If he would just run straight ahead, and get past the line, then he might get in the open field. Trung is a great receiver out of the backfield, and can fly on a screen pass. He runs a 4.2 40! How many passes has he caught out of the backfield? Does anyone know?

I can't remember any so I'm gonna guess zero. Fact of the matter is that the Skins were walking a fine line this offseason by letting Big Country go. With that being said, I realize that money talks in this league, and that with Davis on our team, we wouldn't have been able to make some signings in other areas. Regardless, to give up a fourth round pick on a guy who's claim to fame was a 172 yard rushing game vs. the Jets, while still with St. Louis was risky. There was a reason why Martz had Canidate in his doghouse, and Martz loves speed as much as anybody. Maybe he knew something we didn't.

Well what did Superior expect? He asked for speed and pass catching ability from his backs, and thats what the FO traded for and provided.

Canidate weights 202; Morton weighs 186; and McCullough weights 202. Betts at 220 is the only "big" tailback on the roster and he is no speed demon.

So now all of a sudden when things aren't working.... we see the coaching staff saying that NOW they need a big back "with a physical presence." They had one in Stephen Davis.

And its interesting to note that the knock on Stephen Davis by the pro-Superior camp, was that he was not a good enough pass receiver. But then Davis catches a 25 yard pass against us on 4th and 1, which beats our butts. :laugh:

Superior doesn't know what the hell he needs to make the Fun n' Gun work in the NFL ......... and that is the problem. :mad:

Trung showed big play potential in the New England game. He caught a screen that looked doomed and turned it into a huge gain. He also had a big run and was stipped from behind, remember? The guy does have speed, there's no question about it.

The thing that I question about Trung is his heart. He always seems to come up limping or holding his shoulder whenever he takes a hit on a run that doesn't go far. It's almost like he want's out of the game for some reason. He just strike's me as a soft player.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion.

I think more than anything else the team is a victim of circumstance. I think all along the team was hoping Betts would be the primary back, with Trung backing him up and utilized in specific packages to take advantage of his speed. Unfortunately, their injuries have taken them out of their games. Canidate doesn't hit the hole hard enough... and can't break a tackle due to his size. Betts is the power back, and he has suprising quickness and burst through the hole. This broken arm came at a really bad time.

The idiots carping on S. Davis need to STFU!!!!!! He's a lumbering bruiser who needs 25 carries to get going. He DOESN'T fit the Spurrier offense, because he doesn't hit the hole fast enough (like Canidate) and hasn't the breakaway speed to outrun the secondary. Plus.... and more importantly, anyone who saw him last year realized he was a liability in the passing game. I can still remember my uneasyness when they threw at him... because it was 50/50 Mr. Roboto would catch it.

Finally.... Stephen Davis chose not to negotiate his salary to a more respectable figure... choosing instead to test the FA market and make the "star" running back money. Good for him.... but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't the running back for the Redskins.

"Where we are right now, and what we're trying to become, is we need that physical presence," Jackson said. "And if a guy's going to be back there as our featured runner, that's what he must possess."

Sound like Davis..

This is one of my big pet peeves about the media talking about Davis. The guy is one of the least physical runners around. Friggen Fred Smoot took him down one on one last week. The guy goes down on any hit.

He's big, but he doesn't run like it.

Originally posted by Bufford 2.5

Davis didn't lead anything on sunday.

However, Trung has been sucky. I hope he takes this offseason seriously (He's still under contract, right?) and really works his ass out. Comes to camp ready to compete with Betts.

Trung isn't a good natural RB, with vision and instinct. He will never be any good. We need to cut ties with him.

Okay,

You start questioning trung's heart and you're just making stuff up. Trung is a team player. He doesn't complain about being benched. He plays on a highankle sprain. When he's out of the game he's watching the field or standing near the coaches, not joking around with other players.

You've never heard a bad quote from the guy.... so why all the hate? Early in the year he looked amazing. He showed some of that amazing speed running circles around Linebackers. Now, he's playing hurt, and he's not playing well.

If you want to say get rid of him because he'sinjury prone, fine, but the heart isn't an issue.

Also, running back by commitee should make you less injury prone rather than moreso.....

-DB

Hey Drunken

Just a heads up, Trung isn't truly winning over friends in the Redskins Locker room, But here is a tidbit for everyone in here. If anyone knows Matt Bowen.... Ask Matt Bowen what he overheard Trung saying when he first arrived here in DC about Marshall Faulk, then you will truly know why Matt put the hit that he did on Trung in preseason

Archived