TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12247

Quotes From Carolina: Fox, Davis

11/12/2003

Carolina Panthers Conference Call

With Washington, D.C. Reporters

CAROLINA HEAD COACH JOHN FOX

On what running back Stephen Davis means to his offense:

“He’s got probably about half of it. He has run the ball really well for us. He missed last week’s game due to an ankle sprain. But he’s brought some leadership and obviously some ability to our offense.”

On his familiarity level with Davis prior to obtaining his services last offseason:

“I watched Stephen play for five years as the defensive coordinator at the (New York) Giants and I was pretty familiar with what he was capable of. Our offense is a little bit like they used to do so I’ve seen him execute exactly what we were asking.”

On beating Tampa Bay without Davis playing:

“We’ve got a pretty good guy behind him in DeShaun Foster. Obviously, we think Stephen’s our best running back but I think our quarterback Jake Delhomme and our offensive line and our receivers were able to compensate for not having Stephen. We had to be more precise and execute better in our passing game and I believe we did.”

On the Redskins being able to handle the blitz:

“I think everybody feels like they have a plan against a blitzing defense. Everybody’s capable, you just have to execute and win one-on-one match-ups. When you have a team like Seattle, it’s not the Redskins fault they didn’t blitz. They were able to go out there and execute and make plays; usually, the team that does that wins. In last week’s case, the Redskins made some plays and that was the difference in the ball game.”

On the code of conduct he expects from his team:

“I try and treat them like men and I expect them to act like men. One thing we’ve talked about since we’ve been here is if you try and establish yourself as a championship football team, then you need to act like champions.”

On rebuilding the Panthers:

“[in 2001], we were last in the league on both sides of the football. We didn’t really have a lot of cap room to go out and get too involved in free agency. But we did have the second pick in the draft. We worked hard at evaluating people. Our personnel department did an outstanding job and I think we’re a proven product. I think we’re still a work in progress. I don’t think we’ve arrived by any stretch but it’s been a lot of hard work by everybody: the players, coaches and personnel people.”

On the running game being the way to win in the NFL:

“I’ve always believed that more games are lost in this league than won. Not that you play careful or play scared but it’s kind of like investing your money. There are proven ways and then there are high-risk ways. I just believe in the more proven, steady way.”

On the teams’ negative turnover ratio:

“It’s a little bit surprising. You’ll always turn it over more than you want. You’d like to have zero but the reality is it’s not going to happen. For whatever reason we’ve been pretty spotty in our takeaways thus far so I think it’s something we’re still preaching and talking about. Here down the stretch we have to get better in that area.”

On remaining focused without getting overly confident:

“That’s something we talk about: being the same guy every day, win or lose. Check your egos at the door and just come in and be ready to put in a hard days work in the preparation phase. If you’re prepared usually good things happen to you in the test. Our guys understand you’re just two games away from disaster and they just have to take care of business.”

On quarterback Jake Delhomme:

“Jake was really just a guy who hadn’t had an opportunity. I think with the emergence of some of these quarterbacks here as of late around the league that when guys have gotten their opportunity they’ve done real well. We went in that direction instead of with a guy who had done it somewhere and been cast off for whatever reason. We just went with a guy we had a good feeling about and so far it’s paid off.”

STEPHEN DAVIS (RB, #48)

On the status of his sprained ankle:

“It’s getting better. Between last week and this week, it’s totally different. Hopefully it’ll get better every day and I’ll be back on the field.”

On how motivated he is to play the Redskins this Sunday:

“I knew I was going to play this game way back in May. The thing I’ve been doing is getting myself prepared for the whole season. Now we’re playing the Redskins, the team I played with last year, and my thing is to approach it just like any other game. I’m going to prepare during the week to have a physical game. I know those guys are going to be ready to play.”

On Rock Cartwright possibly starting Sunday’s game against the Panthers:

“I’m happy for him. He’s worked hard to be in the position that he’s in. Hopefully he can have a successful day, but otherwise I hope we come out with the victory.”

On what he sees in Cartwright’s ability:

“He has a lot of heart and desire. He runs hard when he has the ball. He blocks well. He’s a guy who just wants to go out, perform and help the team the best way possible. He runs with a lot of determination. He’s still young, so he has a lot of football in front of him.”

On what advice he’s given Cartwright:

“Just stay positive and work hard every day. Then go out there on the field and do whatever it takes to help the team win. He’s doing that. He’s making blocks and getting first downs. I’m proud of him.”

On whether playing the Redskins is tough because he’s close friends with so many Redskin players:

“It’s tough, but I know what we have in front of us as a team. We just have to go out and do what we can as a team. You have to remember, we haven’t beaten the Redskins in six games. So they’re going to have a little confidence. We just have to be prepared.”

On whether he is disappointed that he left Washington:

“It’s never personal. It’s always business. They made a business decision to let me go. I’m not mad at anyone. I’m just happy that I’m getting an opportunity here in Carolina and I’m going out and making the best of it.”

On when he realized last year he probably wouldn’t be playing in Washington:

“The last game of the season. I knew at that point in time. I just kept going. I’m getting a great opportunity now. Last year was a learning experience for me. I had the injury at the end of the season—it was hard. So every time I go out on the field, I realize it could be my last. You never know what could happen. I never take it for granted when I’m out on the field.”

On whether he felt he didn’t fit into the Redskins’ offense last year:

“Yes, towards the middle of the season. I didn’t get as many carries as I was hoping to get. Coach Spurrier came to me when we played the New York Giants the second time and he told me we were going to let the young guys play. He’s the coach, I couldn’t do anything about it. I just wish I had gotten a better opportunity.”

On 5-11, 174-pound Fred Smoot saying he was unsure how he would try to tackle Davis with his 6-0, 230-pound frame:

“I can’t give any advice on that.” (laughs)

On if he thinks Fred Smoot can tackle him:

“Anything’s possible.” (laughs)

On Carolina beating Tampa Bay without him last Sunday:

“Just being around these guys, you can see how Coach Fox has us prepared every week. We’ve won games this season pulling the tough ones out. We have a lot of character, heart and desire and I’m just glad to be a part of it.”

On whether he thought Carolina would be a playoff contender when he signed with them:

“I thought the way we finished last season was strong. Then we added players like Ricky Proehl, Jake Delhomme and myself, so I felt that we could close the gap in our division—and we’ve done that. We know what path we’re on, and we’re trying to get there.”

On whether the transition to Carolina was easy because he grew up in the South:

“It was very easy. I have a house an hour from here. My hometown is an hour from here. We had training camp in my hometown. My family, friends, kids, wife—everybody’s here.”

On whether he was interested in signing with Houston in the offseason:

“It was between those two teams. I could have signed there just as easily, but I weighed my options as far as the opportunity I have here and being close to home.”

On whether he feels he is running as well as he ever has in his career:

“I’m just taking advantage of my opportunities. I have some guys up front here that are doing a great job. When I was in Washington, we had some great linemen there. Those guys worked hard. And these guys work hard here. I’m just making the best of my opportunities. I don’t feel anything has changed.”

This was the one game I looked at before regular season started that I felt might be a problem with running Davis mainly because your players know his tendancies well enough from practicing against him while with the Skins. One thing I have noticed with him so far this year is 95% of the time he isn't trying to bulldog another yard or two when he gets wrapped up.

On whether he felt he didn’t fit into the Redskins’ offense last year:

“Yes, towards the middle of the season. I didn’t get as many carries as I was hoping to get. Coach Spurrier came to me when we played the New York Giants the second time and he told me we were going to let the young guys play. He’s the coach, I couldn’t do anything about it. I just wish I had gotten a better opportunity.”:

ummm I believe you had a seperated shoulder there Stevie.

Ugh. I hate this swarmy attitude, trying to play the victim who was pushed out the door.

If he hadn't missed like 5 games to injury he would have easily made his 1300 yards rushing. He forced the Skins to either pay him 11 million or cut him. No team would pay him that money and take that huge cap hit. He wasn't the entire offense anymore, and he wanted out.

Teams cut star players every year when they won't take a reworked contract for less money. The only difference is no other teams takes such a huge beating over it, like the Redskins have with Davis.

On 5-11, 174-pound Fred Smoot saying he was unsure how he would try to tackle Davis with his 6-0, 230-pound frame:

His response should be "Just go for the ball, I'll either fumble it or have to hit the deck to make sure I don't fumble it."

That was just a jab. I like SD. One thing that annoys me is that smirk he seems to have when he's interviewed about the Skins. It's almost like he KNOWS he's going to rush for 150 and a couple TDs....I hope we wipe that smirk off his face!

Archived