WP:Defense Welcomes Spurrier's Insight

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33487-2003Nov12.html

Redskins Notebook

Defense Welcomes Spurrier's Insight

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, November 13, 2003; Page D07

Washington Redskins defensive coordinator George Edwards said yesterday that he welcomes Coach Steve Spurrier's decision to spend more time overseeing the defense.

"Any time Coach can be around everybody, it's good," Edwards said. "The kind of spirit he brings to the game -- offense, defense, special teams -- I think it's a bonus for everyone."

Spurrier said Tuesday that he would exercise a bit more oversight over the defense and special teams now that offensive coordinator Hue Jackson is calling plays. The defense is 26th in the NFL after finishing fifth last season.

But Edwards is said by others in the organization to have a solid relationship with Spurrier. Middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said the club's defensive players "definitely" remain confident in Edwards but don't mind Spurrier increasing his role.

"He talks to us a lot now," Trotter said. "He'll probably come over and shoot the breeze with us. That's what a head coach is supposed to do -- make sure guys are playing their assignments on both sides of the ball."

Bowen Expects to Play

Safety Matt Bowen was withheld from contact drills yesterday after suffering a concussion during last Sunday's victory over the Seattle Seahawks. But Bowen said he expects to be cleared by doctors to play on Sunday at Carolina.

"I don't see any reason why I shouldn't," Bowen said. "I feel normal. I don't have any headaches. I never had any nausea. If we had to play now, I'd play." . . . Spurrier said he expects to be without center Larry Moore for a second straight game because of a sprained foot. Lennie Friedman again would start in his place. But Moore hopes to play. . . . Edwards said the team again will make a late-in-the-week decision about whether to start Bruce Smith or Regan Upshaw at right defensive end. Upshaw has started the past two games. "Bruce is doing what we're asking him to do," Edwards said. "He's doing it well, and he's being a team player."

Bailey on Davis: That's Business

Cornerback Champ Bailey said of the Redskins' decision to release tailback Stephen Davis after last season: "It's the business part of football. You don't like it. You don't want to let one of your leaders go. But you know what's going on. It's not like it was surprising." Bailey, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency following this season, then was asked if he thinks the Redskins would be willing to let him leave. He said: "I wouldn't be surprised, let's put it that way." . . . Rookie cornerback Ade Jimoh continues to struggle. He committed a personal foul on a kickoff return by the Seahawks last weekend, and was part of a coverage mix-up that left a Seattle receiver uncovered for a touchdown.

"We sort of talked about that," Spurrier said. "It seems like all of his plays for the Redskins have been bad plays. . . . He made the team, though. Hopefully one of his plays will be a good play before the season is over." . . .

Edwards, like Spurrier, indicated that he hopes to get more playing time Sunday for defensive tackle Darrell Russell, who has gone about 20 snaps in each of his first two games. Russell said he also anticipates playing more, and estimated he is about 75 percent on the way to being in prime shape.

"My weight is not particularly where I want it to be, but I'm getting there," Russell said. "I got a big chunk of my mojo back last Sunday. We'll go from there. . . . I actually didn't think I'd be as far along as I was."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

"Any time Coach can be around everybody, it's good," Edwards said. "The kind of spirit he brings to the game -- offense, defense, special teams -- I think it's a bonus for everyone."

This is informative. Many people think SOS is just an X's and O's guy, but he really is a great competitor, and it rubs off on the players. He's not the kind of leader who motivates by giving speeches. SOS leads by example. Now that he's working on more aspects of the game, I expect that competitive spirit to spread.

Hail

:coach:

But Edwards is said by others in the organization to have a solid relationship with Spurrier.

Ya think?

From Edwards bio:

Edwards began his coaching career working with linebackers as a graduate assistant under Steve Spurrier at the University of Florida in 1991-92.

Named the most valuable linebacker in 1989, Edwards was an honorable mention All-ACC selection as a senior under Spurrier.

"We sort of talked about that," Spurrier said. "It seems like all of his plays for the Redskins have been bad plays. . . . He made the team, though. Hopefully one of his plays will be a good play before the season is over." . . .

All I have to say is ouch babe. The ol ball coach doesn't exactly mince words.

:paranoid:

Well, nothing like the HBC noticing the work performance...or lack thereof. One thing si for certain, if I were Jimoh. I'd be :paranoid: . Players seem to like this from HBC. Could be part of the problem right there. hard to motivate all the troops when you don't spend time with all of them. Of course, this means other players could be :paranoid: :silly:

:cheers:

Archived