Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Big gap separates 'Rock' and 'Big Country'

TK

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031112/APS/311120956

Big gap separates 'Rock' and 'Big Country'

By JOSEPH WHITE

AP Sports Writer

ASHBURN, Va. Stephen Davis is approaching 7,000 career yards rushing. Rock Cartwright has 177.

The imbalance between the possible featured running backs couldn't be greater when the Washington Redskins play the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. Only in the nickname department can Rock hold a candle to "Big Country" Davis.

"It was 'Rock Baby' because I was clumsy," said Cartwright, who got the nickname from his grandmother and thus never uses his real name, Roderick. "Once I got older, they took the 'Baby' off and then just started calling me Rock. My size fits it, so I'm cool with it."

Everyone knows Davis' story. He was cut by the Redskins because he didn't fit into coach Steve Spurrier's offense and is now an MVP candidate with the playoff-contending Panthers.

But who is Cartwright? First of all, he's supposed to be a fullback. That was his position throughout college and in his rookie year with the Redskins last season. A slew of injuries has pressed him into spot duty at tailback in recent weeks, and he responded with a career-high 81 yards on 13 carries in the 27-20 victory over Seattle.

"Thirteen times is the most I've carried it since high school," Cartwright said.

It was Cartwright who converted the daring fourth-and-inches run at Washington's own 25-yard line on the game-winning drive. He also broke a tackle at the line of scrimmage in a gutsy 21-yard run later in the drive.

"His locker is right beside mine," cornerback Champ Bailey said, "and he always talks about getting his chance to run, and he took advantage of it. I knew he could do it. He talks about it every week - he'd better get out there and do it."

As a result, Spurrier indicated Cartwright could be the principle back against the Panthers, even though Trung Canidate has sufficiently recovered from an ankle injury. Even if Canidate starts, Cartwright is expected to get plenty of work.

"Rock could play a lot at tailback," Spurrier said Wednesday.

If so, he expects to match his game against good friend and mentor Davis, whose 5,790 yards with Washington ranks him third in franchise history. Davis missed Carolina's game last week against Tampa Bay with a sprained ankle, but no one expects him to sit out this one.

"Stephen's ready to go against any team, but he's probably going to be playing with a lot more heart because this is his ex-team," Cartwright said. "I heard his ankle's banged up a little bit, but I don't think he'll miss this one."

Actually, Cartwright has a firsthand read on Davis. The two usually speak twice a week, and Cartwright gave Davis a call on Tuesday.

"We're like the best of friends," Cartwright said. "I went home with him for Christmas last year and we spent a lot of time together off the field. I look at Stephen as my big brother and a role model. ... He taught me how to approach the game, how to watch tape, how to be a pro and how to be patient."

Their styles are somewhat similar. Both are downfield runners, intent more on plowing through defenders rather than putting moves on them. Davis, in a reversal of Cartwright's current situation, temporarily switched to fullback for the Redskins for most of the 1998 season when Larry Bowie was injured.

But there's a size gap. Davis is 6 feet, while Cartwright is generally listed at 5-7 and 223 pounds. His stumpy build and muscular upper frame practically scream the word "fullback." This is his first big chance to prove otherwise.

"It's about the fight in the dog; it's not about the size of the dog in the fight," Cartwright said. "It really doesn't matter what people say about my size, it's about playing hard and winning the game. I think long-term I can be a featured runner for somebody's team."

Davis agrees.

"He has a lot of heart and desire. He runs hard. He blocks well," Davis said. "I heard he was starting this week, and I'm proud of him."

Notes:@ Cartwright had to play fullback during Wednesday's practice because the only other fullback on the roster, Bryan Johnson, can't have contact while recovering from a concussion. Johnson is expected to play Sunday, however. ... Neither RB Ladell Betts (arm) nor C Larry Moore (foot) are expected to return for Sunday's game. Lennie Friedman did well in his first start in Moore's place against Seattle. ... OL Mitch White was signed. OL Pita Elisara was released and signed to the practice squad.

Rock is awesome. I cant wait for him to kick ass on sunday. He's so short I bet its hard for the LB's to see him when he's coming through.

I hear the Panthers arent telling which ankle is Steve has messed up. For protection reasons. Good for us he only has 2 ankles, process of elimination baby!!!!!

Actually I'd rather face him than Foster. So I hope he is alright.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

I see Elisara was cut again. Then signed again to the PS. Eesh.

You know what? I think it's time to name a starter and stick with him throughout the game. Even I am getting sick of this RB platoon thing we have had going on here. Sick with a guy. Let him find a groove.

Just don't let it be Canidate.

I think it is better a commitee if we got 3 diffentent guys coming in only on a few series each they would be one, fresh, two treasure the time on the field and try their absolute best, and three, give different styles of running for each situation.

Archived