WP:Spurrier Says He Will Widen Focus

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27907-2003Nov11.html

Spurrier Says He Will Widen Focus

Coach Turns Attention To Defense, Special Teams

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 12, 2003; Page D01

Washington Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier said yesterday he will have "a little bit more oversight" over the defense and special teams units now that he has turned over most of the play-calling responsibility to assistant coach Hue Jackson.

Spurrier said he will continue to work on the offensive game plan during the week and to focus on the quarterbacks and wide receivers during practices. He will continue to play a role in the play-calling during games and won't strip any authority from defensive coordinator George Edwards, Spurrier said. But he will pay closer attention to the defense and special teams, he said, and might offer more observations and suggestions.

"I'll observe more," Spurrier said. "It does free me up a little bit. I'll have a little bit more oversight over the defense and the special teams. Hopefully we can get this whole thing straightened out and start playing better, start playing our assignments better, all over the place -- offense, defense and special teams. We can play a lot better everywhere, I think. We need to play a lot better."

The Redskins' defense is ranked 26th among the NFL's 32 teams under first-year coordinator Edwards after finishing fifth in the league last season under then-coordinator Marvin Lewis, now the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals. Some members of the organization feel that Edwards, who played for Spurrier at Duke and coached for him at the University of Florida, needs to be more aggressive and creative in his blitz packages to generate increased pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

Edwards did not return a phone call seeking comment.

The Redskins' special teams, coached by Mike Stock, have been relatively error-free this season, but Spurrier expressed frustration with the kickoff coverage during last Sunday's 27-20 triumph over the Seattle Seahawks at FedEx Field.

When Spurrier announced late last season that he planned to elevate Jackson from running backs coach to offensive coordinator, he said he hoped the move would enable him to spend more time coaching the entire team instead of just the offense. But he said then that he planned to remain the main play-caller. That changed with Jackson's new role last weekend.

Spurrier has said in the past that he usually granted autonomy to his defensive coaches during his 12-year tenure at Florida but would stick his head into their meetings more often when things weren't going well. Seattle had a 90-yard touchdown drive against the Redskins and got a field goal out of another possession that began at its 4-yard line. But the Seahawks managed only a pair of field goals after the first quarter.

Edwards has received criticism around the league for allowing his players, particularly his linebackers, to be caught out of position at times. The Redskins had three sacks against Seattle but have only 14 this season. Edwards has been reluctant to blitz regularly and expose his secondary to the risk of surrendering big plays, but others in the organization believe the team's only chance of pressuring opposing quarterbacks into mistakes is by gambling.

The Redskins' special teams were mistake-prone in past seasons but have performed better this year. Kick returner Chad Morton does not have a punt or kickoff return longer than 37 yards, but place kicker John Hall has not missed a field goal attempt shorter than 48 yards and punter Bryan Barker has been solid lately. Spurrier expressed displeasure Monday that, although the Redskins recovered a Seattle fumble on the opening kickoff, they committed personal fouls on the Seahawks' next two kickoff returns.

In the first half of this season, Jackson was stationed in the press box during games and made suggestions to Spurrier, who communicated the play calls to quarterback Patrick Ramsey. The Redskins, according to team officials, planned to have Jackson do the offensive play-calling for one previous game, their 24-7 defeat at Buffalo on Oct. 19. But Jackson did not find out until late in the week that he'd get the duty. He was in the press box that day, and his play-calling stint did not last the entire game. This time, Jackson was on the sideline and connected to Ramsey by radio.

Spurrier held a play script and stood alongside Jackson for most of the Seattle game, and made two key fourth-quarter decisions -- the successful fourth-and-inches gamble and the trick pass that won the game.

"I'm not going to change that much," Spurrier said yesterday. "I'm still in the offensive meetings. I'm still in there helping to put together the offensive game plan. I'm still going to coach the quarterbacks and receivers. We'll see if we can't get Patrick and the receivers to play a little bit better. We're still not where we want to be. We just wanted to get Hue down on the field to add some energy and enthusiasm down on the sideline. He'd been helping out all along with the play-calling. Now he's just doing a little bit more of it."

Sunday's victory was the Redskins' first since Sept. 28 and ended a four-game losing streak. It raised the team's record to 4-5 entering Sunday's game at Carolina, where the Redskins undoubtedly will face a stronger pass rush than the one they encountered against Seattle. The Seahawks opted against blitzing regularly and failed to sack Ramsey.

"Hue Jackson did a very good job for us and made a lot of the calls, I guess, and Coach Spurrier added his touch when he needed to, and we did good," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "I'm pretty sure they worked on everything together, and we're going to continue to do everything as a team. Our coaching staff will continue to work on things the way they need to work on things."

I27833-2003Nov11L Offensive coordinator Hugh Jackson, left, helped provide "enthusiasm" for Patrick Ramsey and the offense Sunday. (John McDonnell - The Washington Post)

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

This is exactly what I was telling my freind after the Dallas game. Spurrier has been so focused on the offence that the defence and specail teams don't see a need to play for the Ol' Ball Coach. Hopefully the article is true and the team will improve.

You can't have a Head coach focus on just one thing and expect to win. I stil remember his comment on Russel after the game in Dallas. "I didn't watch the d-line"

Originally posted by fezzik

This is exactly what I was telling my freind after the Dallas game. Spurrier has been so focused on the offence that the defence and specail teams don't see a need to play for the Ol' Ball Coach. Hopefully the article is true and the team will improve.

You can't have a Head coach focus on just one thing and expect to win. I stil remember his comment on Russel after the game in Dallas. "I didn't watch the d-line"

This is exactly what our team needs. Up to now, Spurrier has been acting like the QB & WR coach with play-calling duties. The club hasn't had anything approaching a head coach on the staff since Marvin Lewis left.

One of the main things a head coach has to do is motivate and discipline the team, and when Spurrier only pays attention to the offense, the rest of the team is leaderless. You can say (like Norv did) that the players are professionals and should be self-motivated, but that doesn't work. The players may be professionals, but football is a game of emotion, and at least half of them are not self-motivated. The head coach has to motivate the team and run a tight ship or face mutiny. The Dallas players fear Parcells, and he has them trying hard to do what he wants them to do. That's one reason they are playing over their heads this year.

We're gonna have to have some major successes on offense for me to root for Spurrier to be here past Jan 1st.

Last week was a step in the right direction.

The Run Pass balance was awesome.

And I give Spurrier a pass this week for

1) the 4th down call....giving it to Rock was great.

if he had called a pass, I would have killed someone.

2) the razzle dazzle with Gardener.

--------------------------

Miami is not doing so hot so you never know when our Skins could steal one. A running game, a little more cohesive play from our blockers....and the momentum could take us places.

---------------

Off topic, but I traded BSmiths a$$ for Marco Coleman on Madden.

BSmith makes me sick.

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Wow. This is a great read. Maske writes the Skins better than anyone.

And...this is a very, very good sign from the OBC. He is humbling himself, and giving up certain offensive responsibilities so he can help out everywhere.

This is a very positive sign from a successful college coach that is making the NFL transition.

Seriously. We've been waiting for this for quite awhile now poeple.

Archived