Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raiders player meeting

TK

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~10835~1748581,00.html

Brown calls players' meeting, asks for end of gripes

By Bill Soliday, STAFF WRITER

ALAMEDA -- Tim Brown stood before his Oakland Raiders teammates Wednesday morning and preached the gospel: It's time to stop the complaining, concentrate on nothing but football and move on.

"That's why there will be no more comments about all this stuff that has been happening," Brown said. "I think that was the smart thing to do. All this other stuff is not going to get us anywhere."

Speaking of stuff, cornerback Charles Woodson -- whose inflammatory comments about coach Bill Callahan led to the players-only meeting -- was hauling a dolly-load of "stuff" in boxes to his car following the afternoon practice.

Had Woodson been sentenced to hard labor?

"They're kicking me out of here," he replied.

Not quite. In fact, there were signs Raidergate was winding down. Remember how Woodson and Callahan had not communicated in a month? On Wednesday, they broke that barrier.

"It was a very positive conversation," Callahan said. "We're moving on. It was good to get an opportunity to sit down and visit with him."

Asked if the meeting cleared the air, Callahan said, "It was just a common conversation. I visit with a lot of guys on an individual basis -- maybe four, five a day. It was good to just sit down."

Callahan said he was unaware of the team meeting that morning in which the topic of moving on was discussed.

"But that's good because that's where I'm coming from," Callahan said.

Brown said it was "incumbent on us (players) to present a front as if we are a team. I think it would be different ... if we had some major issues going on in the locker room. (If that were the case,) I would stand back and duck and dodge you guys. But that's not the thing.

"It can be a very divisive situation. I have seen some divisive situations around here. And at this point in my career, I do not want to be going through that kind of stuff."

WHO'S NUMBER TWO? Rob Johnson is the new No.2 quarterback. Or is he No.3?

"We haven't decided yet," Callahan said.

If it's not Johnson, it will be Tee Martin, who was elevated to active status from the practice squad. Johnson has been in Oakland since Monday and is being given a crash course in the Raiders playbook.

Johnson was with the Washington Redskins earlier this year. Last year he was a backup at Tampa Bay and has a Super Bowl ring.

"Since I have been with (Jon) Gruden's offense, it is similar," he said. "Tampa Bay is just the Raiders of the NFC with Gruden down there. It feels really comfortable."

Asked his impressions of the Raiders' turmoil, Johnson said, "Everything seems fine here. We had our own problems in D.C. It looks like the Brady Bunch compared to back there."

PARRELLA RETURN? Callahan said defensive tackle John Parrella visited Tampa recently to see the doctor who surgically repaired receiver Jerry Porter's hernia earlier this year.

"He does not need surgery at this point," Callahan said. "It looks positive that he will be back on the field in two weeks."

MORE INJURY UPDATES: Parrella joins Rich Gannon on the list of players out for Sunday's game.

Two new practice squad players were signed -- tackle Matt Knutson and defensive back Keith Burnell.

Three Raiders have been declared doubtful: guard Matt Stinchcomb, defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield and defensive end Sam Williams.

Five Raiders are questionable, four of them offensive linemen: guard Mo Collins, tackle Lincoln Kennedy, guard Frank Middleton, guard Brad Badger and safety Rod Woodson.

Wide receiver Jerry Porter and tackle Langston Walker are probable.

For the Jets, tight end Wayne Crebet won't play because of concussions.

What's this? Another team having troubles? Another team having a players only meeting? Another where the coach is rumored to have lost control over his players? ( In this case, it might be because one of them has actually said so). Perish the thought. :paranoid:

:cheers:

Q: What is Tim Hasselbeck like?

Ramsey: “He’s a great guy. One thing that I’ve noticed about him is that he comes in here with me on Tuesdays, watches tape with me, and he prepares just like I do. I like having him here to bounce ideas off him. When coaches are in their meetings he is in here with me preparing.”

Do you get the feeling that maybe Johnson was less involved with his preperation? Like maybe that was a major reason for his being let go?

:rolleyes:

Archived