Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bram Weinstein on WTEM

bulldog

"nobody on this team has a clue right now about not only what to fix but even what is wrong.........or at least nobody is willing to come out and say what they think is wrong"..................

He said the buzz was that Spurrier would stay until the end of the season largely because there is no one on the staff as an assistant that is qualified to take over. No action from the Danny is imminent.

Joe Jacoby said he thought the effort of the offensive line in 'maximum' protection as Spurrier called it, was simply atrocious and that somebody eventually has to be held responsible or nothing will ever change.

Originally posted by bulldog

"nobody on this team has a clue right now about not only what to fix but even what is wrong.........or at least nobody is willing to come out and say what they think is wrong"..................

He said the buzz was that Spurrier would stay until the end of the season largely because there is no one on the staff as an assistant that is qualified to take over. No action from the Danny is imminent.

Joe Jacoby said he thought the effort of the offensive line in 'maximum' protection as Spurrier called it, was simply atrocious and that somebody eventually has to be held responsible or nothing will ever change.

Exactly. We have a bunch of B U M S on the OL. They are all weak and pathetic, save Randy Thomas. If SOS quits at the end of the season, I hope Snyder has the sense to cut Samuels and Moore. I wouldn't mind trying to trade Jansen and I'm undecided about Dockery because he is a rookie.

I'd like to take a closer look at Samuels contract and cap implications, because I'd seriously think about releasing him if the cap hit wasn't exorbiant. Like I said in another thread, he's rested on his rookie laurels and disjointed reputation long enough.

In fact, I'd go so far as to think that both Samuels and Moore should be identified as weaknesses and replaced in the lineup. It's far time we see Friedmann as our center next week.

Originally posted by bulldog

yeah, but Oakton, who put these players on the line for 2002 and 2003 :)

you have to look higher in the food chain, grasshopper :)

I guess SOS thought that a pair of highly paid Pro Bowl OT's coule learn the "college system" inside of two years. Guess not. These guys are run blockers, not pass blockers. How much you wanna bet that Mike Martz would never take either one in his system? As far as I'm willing to go in the food chain is Helton. Helton's job is to coach and he doesn't seem up to the challenge.

These guys are run blockers, not pass blockers. How much you wanna bet that Mike Martz would never take either one in his system? As far as I'm willing to go in the food chain is Helton. Helton's job is to coach and he doesn't seem up to the challenge.
I bet Martz would take them both. Doesn't he have an O-line coach by the name of Hannifan?? That would make all the difference in Samuels and Jansen IMO.

Jansen has done some very good pass blocking here before Spurrier. At one time, he was the only guy in the league that could contain Strahan. I'm with Skeletor and Sarge, these guys didn't suddenly forget how to play. Don't forget that Fiore, another probowl type, was also really struggling in this offense before he got hurt.

The bottom line is that they are not performing. Is it because of Helton's poor coaching or does all the blame rest with the players? A few things to chew on:

1) College kids could execute this system

2) Jaworski, Parcells and others have stated that the system is sound. Bugel, by all accounts, had poor things to say about the blocking.

Something else that bothers me about the OL - like Collingsworth said during the game, these guys (bums, IMO) didn't even run back to see if Ramsey was ok and they just look like quitters out there.

My solution? Wholesale clean out. Get rid of Samuels, Moore and Helton. Not sure about Dockery and Jansen you can't get rid of because of his contract.

Originally posted by GaSkinsfan

Jansen has done some very good pass blocking here before Spurrier. At one time, he was the only guy in the league that could contain Strahan. I'm with Skeletor and Sarge, these guys didn't suddenly forget how to play. Don't forget that Fiore, another probowl type, was also really struggling in this offense before he got hurt.

Jansen has never pass blocked in a pass first offense like Spurrier's or Martz's.

You beat me to it Oakton. Pass blocking is a lot harder when the D doesn't have to respect your running game. Them's just the facts. Almost any OL would look like crap in this system.

Watch SOS get fired/quit in the offseason and a new HC come in and ressurect the offense from the ashes. There's talent there. What's missing is the coaching.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

You beat me to it Oakton. Pass blocking is a lot harder when the D doesn't have to respect your running game. Them's just the facts. Almost any OL would look like crap in this system.

Watch SOS get fired/quit in the offseason and a new HC come in and ressurect the offense from the ashes. There's talent there. What's missing is the coaching.

Between Morton (early in the game) and Rock, we were beginning to have some success with the run. I saw their safeties coming up to the line in the second quarter. Jansen and Samuels are just NOT good pass blockers, especially in this system. Think Pace would fail in this system? He looks pretty good in Martz's which is not that different from SOS's.

What's the difference between a college blitz or an NFL blitz? Give me a break - block the blizter(s). We had the guys back there to do it and they failed - even in max protect schemes they played.

Tackle. Block. Basics.

Archived