Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hambrick: Not Just Me

TK

http://www.dallascowboys.com/daily_notes.cfm?id=8F778E03-D90A-D19D-0FB0170806CD25E1

Thursday's Notes:

Thursday's Notes:

Hambrick: Not Just Me

Clay Fowler

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

October 30, 2003, 6:00 p.m. (CST)

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys running back Troy Hambrick isn't taking the signing of Adrian Murrell personally, insisting the team's Cowboys running game doesn't rest entirely on his shoulders.

"Really when you go and look at film, last week there wasn't anywhere to go," Hambrick said of the Cowboys' 60-yard rushing effort in the 16-0 to the Buccaneers. "Richie (Anderson) is hurt and then we lost (Gennaro) DiNapoli and it brought enough room to bring Adrian in here and hopefully he can help."

While Hambrick showed some support of Murrell's arrival, he wasn't ready to admit he was the sole reason for the team's declining effort on the gorund and his shrinking per-carry average, that now is down to 3.2

"I thought they might bring in a better lineman to help get a better surge up front," Hambrick said.

Cowboys coach head Bill Parcells noted the lack of aggressiveness by the offensive line against Tampa Bay, something that obviously didn't escape Hambrick either. Remember, it was Parcells saying only one of his starting five offensive line performed acceptably against the Bucs, whichlikely doesn't bode well for gaping holes to run through for Hambrick.

"We've got to suck it up up front and as a unit get it done, get some more space where there is somewhere to go," Hambrick said. "Until we get some surge up front or do something different, it's going to be tough yardage. As an offensive unit, it's not just me. We want to go out and have a better productive day against Washington."

As for sharing time with Murrell, if it comes to that, Hambrick was quite the diplomat.

"Hopefully we can be a nice tandem and go out there and get the job done if that is what coach Parcells wants," said Hambrick.

Anderson 'Highly Questionable'

Fullback Richie Anderson's back and neck condition is placing the status of the Cowboys' second leading rusher and receiver in question for Sunday's meeting with the Washington Redskins.

Anderson did not practice for the second day in a row Thursday, and while Parcells is patiently observing his condition, he doesn't seem to be counting on Anderson.

"I'm not 100 percent sure (of his status)," Parcells said. "I think he is highly questionable, though. It's a combination of, he's had a little bit of a bruised shoulder and he's got a little problem in his back too. He had a little herniation (in his back.) But we think it's going to quiet down here. As soon as he is kind of asymptomatic he'll be fine."

Results of tests Anderson underwent on Wednesday were encouraging, according to Parcells. The combination of fullback Jamar Martin and playing more two-tight end offense likely will compensate for Anderson if he is unable to play.

The 'General' Speaks

Since the Big 12 Conference basketball coaches were in Dallas Wednesday for their annual media day, Texas Tech coach Bob Knight found time to saunter over to Valley Ranch in the afternoon to catch up with Parcells, his good buddy, and take in practice.

In fact, Knight, never at a loss for words, addressed the team, no doubt giving in inspirational talk with the Cowboys getting ready to play the Redskins this Sunday.

Standing Guard

With backup center Gennaro DiNapoli out for the season, backup guard Tyson Walter will add backup center to his duties, and backup tackles Kurt Vollers and Javier Collins are beginning to learn the guard positions.

"It's difficult to get comfortable not just playing one position all the time, but we'll deal with it," Walter said. "We go into each week trying to improve and I'm doing what I can to help."

In the event starting center Matt Lehr goes down, requiring Walter to take his spot, Vollers and Collins will be available as reserve guards. Vollers, a second-year player out of Notre Dame, has primarily played tackle, but is familiar with guard.

"I'm comfortable playing guard. I worked there in college and some here in the pre season," Vollers said. "It's still offensive line."

Collins, the former defensive lineman, had never played tackle until two years ago, let alone guard.

Pass Rush Improving

The Cowboys must be doing something right to rank No. 1 in defense, and that must include the defensive front, often criticized for the last of pressure on quarterbacks.

"I think our pass rush is doing better, I really do," Parcells said. "We're hurrying some throws and forcing some bad throws. I think we're doing a much better job on that overall."

The pressure comes primarily front the front four since the Cowboys do not dabble in a whole lot of blitzing. Parcells said the Cowboys hardly blitzed at all last Sunday against Tamp Bay. After seven games, the Cowboys have record 12 sacks, their pace not much better than that of last year when they finished 31st in the league with 24 sacks.

Fun 'N' Gun

Parcells knows his fair share about the different offenses which have evolved over the years. Redskins head coach Steve Spurrier has developed one of the more unique offenses, the 'fun 'n' gun, and not only on the field but in name.

"I think quite frankly that those terms fun 'n' gun, run and shoot, all that stuff, that is just phraseology," Parcells said. "That's really not in reality what an offensive design is. I mean think about it. Fun. That's a term that the media coined. I'm sure he didn't apply that term to the offense he used."

On a more serious note, Parcells said he thought Spurrier has produced ample success passing the ball on every level, and that part of it is certainly "fun."

Rivalry Relationship

While Parcells may not have been directly involved in the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry over the past 43 years, he certainly wasn't far removed for many of them. Coaching the Giants in the NFC East for eight years gave him plenty of perspective on the Cowboys relationship with the Redskins.

"I am very aware of the history of this franchise as it is directed towards the Redskins," Parcells said. "I know about the rivalry and the Coach Landry and George Allen days. I know about it. I saw it."

Short Shots

Assuming Murrell is active on Sunday, he will be the guy No. 29 . . . Lehr will assume full-time duties at the center position now that DiNapoli is out for the season, and Parcells said he does not have a problem with that . . . This will be the 87th meeting with the Redskins, the Cowboys having faced only Philadelphia more times (88).

Clay Fowler

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

October 30, 2003, 6:00 p.m. (CST)

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys running back Troy Hambrick isn't taking the signing of Adrian Murrell personally, insisting the team's Cowboys running game doesn't rest entirely on his shoulders.

"Really when you go and look at film, last week there wasn't anywhere to go," Hambrick said of the Cowboys' 60-yard rushing effort in the 16-0 to the Buccaneers. "Richie (Anderson) is hurt and then we lost (Gennaro) DiNapoli and it brought enough room to bring Adrian in here and hopefully he can help."

While Hambrick showed some support of Murrell's arrival, he wasn't ready to admit he was the sole reason for the team's declining effort on the gorund and his shrinking per-carry average, that now is down to 3.2

"I thought they might bring in a better lineman to help get a better surge up front," Hambrick said.

Cowboys coach head Bill Parcells noted the lack of aggressiveness by the offensive line against Tampa Bay, something that obviously didn't escape Hambrick either. Remember, it was Parcells saying only one of his starting five offensive line performed acceptably against the Bucs, whichlikely doesn't bode well for gaping holes to run through for Hambrick.

"We've got to suck it up up front and as a unit get it done, get some more space where there is somewhere to go," Hambrick said. "Until we get some surge up front or do something different, it's going to be tough yardage. As an offensive unit, it's not just me. We want to go out and have a better productive day against Washington."

As for sharing time with Murrell, if it comes to that, Hambrick was quite the diplomat.

"Hopefully we can be a nice tandem and go out there and get the job done if that is what coach Parcells wants," said Hambrick.

Anderson 'Highly Questionable'

Fullback Richie Anderson's back and neck condition is placing the status of the Cowboys' second leading rusher and receiver in question for Sunday's meeting with the Washington Redskins.

Anderson did not practice for the second day in a row Thursday, and while Parcells is patiently observing his condition, he doesn't seem to be counting on Anderson.

"I'm not 100 percent sure (of his status)," Parcells said. "I think he is highly questionable, though. It's a combination of, he's had a little bit of a bruised shoulder and he's got a little problem in his back too. He had a little herniation (in his back.) But we think it's going to quiet down here. As soon as he is kind of asymptomatic he'll be fine."

Results of tests Anderson underwent on Wednesday were encouraging, according to Parcells. The combination of fullback Jamar Martin and playing more two-tight end offense likely will compensate for Anderson if he is unable to play.

The 'General' Speaks

Since the Big 12 Conference basketball coaches were in Dallas Wednesday for their annual media day, Texas Tech coach Bob Knight found time to saunter over to Valley Ranch in the afternoon to catch up with Parcells, his good buddy, and take in practice.

In fact, Knight, never at a loss for words, addressed the team, no doubt giving in inspirational talk with the Cowboys getting ready to play the Redskins this Sunday.

Standing Guard

With backup center Gennaro DiNapoli out for the season, backup guard Tyson Walter will add backup center to his duties, and backup tackles Kurt Vollers and Javier Collins are beginning to learn the guard positions.

"It's difficult to get comfortable not just playing one position all the time, but we'll deal with it," Walter said. "We go into each week trying to improve and I'm doing what I can to help."

In the event starting center Matt Lehr goes down, requiring Walter to take his spot, Vollers and Collins will be available as reserve guards. Vollers, a second-year player out of Notre Dame, has primarily played tackle, but is familiar with guard.

"I'm comfortable playing guard. I worked there in college and some here in the pre season," Vollers said. "It's still offensive line."

Collins, the former defensive lineman, had never played tackle until two years ago, let alone guard.

Pass Rush Improving

The Cowboys must be doing something right to rank No. 1 in defense, and that must include the defensive front, often criticized for the last of pressure on quarterbacks.

"I think our pass rush is doing better, I really do," Parcells said. "We're hurrying some throws and forcing some bad throws. I think we're doing a much better job on that overall."

The pressure comes primarily front the front four since the Cowboys do not dabble in a whole lot of blitzing. Parcells said the Cowboys hardly blitzed at all last Sunday against Tamp Bay. After seven games, the Cowboys have record 12 sacks, their pace not much better than that of last year when they finished 31st in the league with 24 sacks.

Fun 'N' Gun

Parcells knows his fair share about the different offenses which have evolved over the years. Redskins head coach Steve Spurrier has developed one of the more unique offenses, the 'fun 'n' gun, and not only on the field but in name.

"I think quite frankly that those terms fun 'n' gun, run and shoot, all that stuff, that is just phraseology," Parcells said. "That's really not in reality what an offensive design is. I mean think about it. Fun. That's a term that the media coined. I'm sure he didn't apply that term to the offense he used."

On a more serious note, Parcells said he thought Spurrier has produced ample success passing the ball on every level, and that part of it is certainly "fun."

Rivalry Relationship

While Parcells may not have been directly involved in the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry over the past 43 years, he certainly wasn't far removed for many of them. Coaching the Giants in the NFC East for eight years gave him plenty of perspective on the Cowboys relationship with the Redskins.

"I am very aware of the history of this franchise as it is directed towards the Redskins," Parcells said. "I know about the rivalry and the Coach Landry and George Allen days. I know about it. I saw it."

Short Shots

Assuming Murrell is active on Sunday, he will be the guy No. 29 . . . Lehr will assume full-time duties at the center position now that DiNapoli is out for the season, and Parcells said he does not have a problem with that . . . This will be the 87th meeting with the Redskins, the Cowboys having faced only Philadelphia more times (88).

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

Way to endear yourself to your teammates up front Troy.

Those Hambrick boys never change.

Well he is only signed for one year, so if he keeps saying stuff like that, this will be his LAST year

And we have to go to DallasCowboys.com to find this. If it were the Skins, it'd be plastered on ESPN.com with the headline, "INFIGHTING AMONG SKINS OFFENSIVE PLAYERS--Betts expresses concerns about offensive line." And Peter King would talk about all the lacrosse coaches' opinions about the matter, and Dr Z would say that Snyder is an idiot for ever signing anyone.

Archived