Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Rock's Role Keeps On Expanding

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12180

Rock's Role Keeps On Expanding

10/30/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Rock Cartwright…Tailback? As Sunday’s game against Dallas approaches, that option seems more and more likely. The 5-7, 230-pound fullback has seen increased reps at tailback the last two weeks in practice with starter Trung Canidate questionable with a high ankle sprain and backup Ladell Betts doubtful with a fractured forearm.

"Trung didn't move around very much at all [on Thursday]," said head coach Steve Spurrier. "He’s still very doubtful. Chad Morton, Sultan McCullough and Rock Cartwright will most likely be our three tailbacks for the Dallas game."

Cartwright has actually seen some game action at tailback this season in short yardage situations. So it’s not completely unfamiliar terrain for the second-year player.

“I’ve been rotating a little bit in and out of tailback,” he said. “During the bye week, I did a little bit of practicing at tailback and I’ve been getting reps there this week, too. I know the position pretty well and I know the protection schemes and how to make the reads.”

After sitting out the Buffalo game and having the advantage of the bye week, Canidate has returned to practice this week and is hopeful of playing at Dallas. But if he is unable to play, Chad Morton would likely get some carries at tailback. Since pass protection is a key to the success of the offense, Cartwright—as the superior blocker—could also see plenty of action.

“Chad’s probably not big enough to play every down,” Spurrier said earlier this week. “Blocking those 250-pound linebackers is not his cup of tea. So we have to use him sparingly, here or there. We always put Rock back there. He’s more of a sturdier guy—about a 230-pound fullback who can play tailback. So that would be an option.”

Added Cartwright: “Chad’s a tough guy and I think he can block, too. But if he needs a rest, I’m here for him. Pass protection is important, because we have to protect our quarterback in order for us to win games.”

Cartwright has played mostly fullback in his career. At Kansas State, he played in a lot of one-back sets and periodically carried the ball. As a senior, he had 66 carries for 292 yards (4.4 average) and two touchdowns.

When Betts was limited in training camp due to injury, offensive coordinator Hue Jackson tried Cartwright out as a tailback in short yardage situations. Cartwright has since solidified that role.

This year, Cartwright has had 15 carries for 30 yards. The 2-yard per carry average is misleading, because he gets the bulk of his carries on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1, when the defense typically stacks the line of scrimmage.

Cartwright says he is comfortable shifting to the fullback position on a part-time basis.

“At fullback, you’re only four yards deep, but when you’re at tailback and you’re seven yards deep, you can read the holes a lot better,” he said. “That’s an advantage: Being able to see and read the defense from seven yards deep.

“It’s exciting because I want to help the team any way I can. I know that when I get the ball, I’m going to have to make plays. I have to make things happen so we can get those five-, six-yard runs at a pop and keep the chains moving.”

Originally posted by TK421CLICKER

Jealous? :laugh: :cheers:

Me? nah...Though like about 1200 other guys on the site I wouldn't mind being on that list myself. Just because. :)

Gads Tommy. As if there wasn't enough controversy in Redskinsland as it is. A running back one to top it all off. You can see Dan and S.S. now. Sigh. :silly:

:cheers:

Originally posted by Yusuf06

I've been hoping Rock would get a shot at TB as well. He reminds me a bit of Joe Morris. Let's hope he makes the most of any carries he gets.

I second that. Still not sold on him as a true fullback.

As long as he goes and GETS whoever he is supposed to block, not wait a step away from the QB for the Defensive play to come to him, he'll be okay.

Archived