Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Times: Starbucks to Provide Free College Education to Thousands of Workers

fullnelson9999

So this is pretty much a game changer for myself and tons of other people I know who work for Starbucks.  It's so cool.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/us/starbucks-to-provide-free-college-education-to-thousands-of-workers.html

Starbucks will provide a free online college education to thousands of its workers, without requiring that they remain with the company, through an unusual arrangement with Arizona State University, the company and the university will announce on Monday.

The program is open to any of the company’s 135,000 United States employees, provided they work at least 20 hours a week and have the grades and test scores to gain admission to Arizona State. For a barista with at least two years of college credit, the company will pay full tuition; for those with fewer credits it will pay part of the cost, but even for many of them, courses will be free, with government and university aid.

Happy for the Starbucks workers in general.  At least in my little neighborhood, the kids running the local one (they're all younger than me now, it's depressing) are very nice and friendly and seem to enjoy the job.  I predict however, that Arizona State fans will be the new Yankee or Cowboys fan within a decade, they'll be everywhere without having ever been to Arizona State.  Prepare for an insufferable number of Sun Devils.

On the other hand, business opportunity.  Start a sports bar that caters to Arizona State on football Saturdays.  They'll have the biggest alumni group in the area (hell, every area) eventually.  There's a Starbucks on every corner.

This is a pretty visionary way to provide employees with a new benefit.

100 years ago when Ford's workforce starting unionizing, Henry Ford realized it would be way cheaper to build his own hospitals rather than pay outside hospitals for healthcare.  That's how the Henry Ford Medical system in the Detroit suburbs was born, and it still exists today.

Starbucks just realized that through online education they can basically pay ASU in bulk for something that their employees greatly value, rather than do things like tuition reimbursement, which would be really expensive for the company.

Archived