Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TMZ: Clippers owner Donald Sterling says don't bring black people to my games

Sticksboi05

Let me explain it clearer (hopefully).

ABC still has the game. It is just under a different name/channel.

Perhaps you don't realize that The GAP owns Old Navy...and Banana Republic... same company.

Lots of examples out there.

In fairness, like most JMS posts, there is a hint of insight buried somewhere in the piles of nonsense.

ABC still wanted Monday Night Football, just not on the broadcast network, in part because there was more value in using those viewers to up ESPN's carriage fees to ridiculous levels.

This worked for the NFL because it was then able to sell Sunday Night Football to NBC - which desperately wanted to broadcast some sport (ANY SPORT) again. Even if viewership dropped, everyone was going to be rich and happy.

(I assume this point was buried somewhere in JMS post. I don't read his massive cut and paste jobs).

It's the same company...what are you missing ?

Cheesecake Factory is the same Company as Grand Lux (sp?). Taco Bell, KFC...same company.

yeah same pants different pocket right..   not really how it works...  ESPN could afford to pay 50% more for MNF than ABC...   That's why the games went to ESPN.

Priced out of the market

Why shift Monday Night Football to ESPN?

Simple economics. The cable channel has two streams of revenue.

It makes money by selling ads and by collecting monthly subscriber fees, about $2.50 per household, from the cable and satellite operators that then pass the charge onto their subscribers. (In a way, ESPN's role is as a middleman, helping move money from the wallets of sports fans into the pockets of pro athletes and team owners).

By contrast, ABC only gets ad revenues, and it lost as much as $150 million a year broadcasting NFL. So when the NFL said it needed $8.8 billion (!!) over the next eight years for the rights to air the Monday night games, ESPN and not ABC was able to pay.

As Disney CEO Bob Iger explained recently, broadcast television "is a relatively challenged business because it relies on a single revenue stream."

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/20/commentary/pluggedin_fortune/

Shoot from the lip not the hip LOL.  You do know when ABC bought ESPN right?

I can't remember the timeline. It all happened sometime between '92 and '96, right? I know a edited a newspaper article on Disney buying ABC in '95 when I was in college, because it was this bizarre story that included a review of the movie "Kids" somehow. Did ABC buy ESPN, and both were bought by Disney? Or did Disney buy them separately and merge them?

I can't remember the timeline. It all happened sometime between '92 and '96, right? I know a edited a newspaper article on Disney buying ABC in '95 when I was in college, because it was this bizarre story that included a review of the movie "Kids" somehow. Did ABC buy ESPN, and both were bought by Disney? Or did Disney buy them separately and merge them?

1984.  I think people are confusing ABC, ESPN, and Disney and when they all combined.

I want to go back to someting for a second.

Did JMS really suggest that someone would not a buy a basketball team in Los Angeles in a new arena with two of the ten biggest stars in basketball on the roster, because it has had a history of bad luck with draft picks?

Isn't this the same as not buying a house because someone told you it was haunted?

Archived