Extremeskins

Krause mad at Vikings

TK

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/4172525.html

Krause mad at Vikings

Mark Craig,

Star Tribune

Published October 24, 2003 VSID24

Vikings Hall of Famer Paul Krause has never met or even watched safety Brian Russell, who tied Krause's team-record six consecutive games with an interception last week.

Krause no longer follows the Vikings or attends team functions even though he lives in the Twin Cities. He is at odds with owner Red McCombs mainly because the Vikings haven't retired Krause's No. 22 jersey.

"It sure is funny when they keep retiring them and mine always takes a back seat," Krause said. "It gets to the point of being ridiculous when they retire the jersey of a guy who just retired last season."

Krause, whose career included four seasons in Washington (1964-67) and 12 with the Vikings (1968-79), was referring Cris Carter's No. 80 being retired this year.

Carter's jersey was the sixth retired by the Vikings in their 43-year history. The others belonged to Fran Tarkenton (10), Alan Page (88), Jim Marshall (70), Korey Stringer (77) and Mick Tinglehoff (53). Tarkenton and Page are in the Hall of Fame.

Krause, the NFL's career leader in interceptions with 81, and Ron Yary are the only Hall of Fame players who spent the majority of their careers with the Vikings whose numbers aren't retired.

McCombs said there are no plans to retire any more numbers because the NFL discourages it.

"We're sorry that Paul feels the way he does," McCombs said. "It's too bad, because we consider him an important part of our family and the Vikings' history."

Krause is in the Vikings' Ring of Honor and was named to their 40th anniversary team in 2000.

But he said the Redskins have treated him better than the Vikings since his retirement.

"About a year ago, they named me one of the 70 greatest Redskins, and I played four years for them," Krause said. "They flew us all out there and gave us leather Redskins' jackets. That's how one team treats its alumni."

Krause's name has surfaced in recent weeks because of Russell's interception streak. Krause set the team record of six in 1968. Russell can break the record with an interception Sunday against the Giants.

"I wish him the best," Krause said. "And I'm sure they're very happy with him. They haven't had anybody play like him in the defensive backfield in awhile."

I agree that retiring numbers will soon be a thing of the past. It's only been a little over 30 years since the merger and football as an institution is only going to get bigger.

If every team continues to retire numbers there will come a time when there'll either be no numbers left for players or the NFL will have to go to three digit uniform numbers. I can see it now..."starting at defensive tackle for the Skins is Johnny 747 Brown".

I say they should outlaw all number retirements immediately and avoid future problems down.

As an alternative I vote for the official retirement of former player's jock straps. They could either hang them along the upper deck of the stadium or bronze them and place them on display at the teams facility.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I think only players of superhero type play should be allowed to have their numbers retired. Just because you make it into the Hall of Fame doesn't neccessarily mean your number needs to be retired. For example Micheal Jordan his number is and should be retired because he was a superhero when it came to his sport. Wayne Gretzky (same), Hank Aron (same), and Water Payton to name a few.

Why do they have to retire numbers? Just hang the guys name in the stadium and he will forever be imporalized. If two players have the same number hanging in the stadium who really cares. End of story. No love lost. But in all honesty I gotta feel for the guy who just wants the respect he deserves. Doesn't seem like the Vikings have to go too far out of their way. I know nothing about his situation. Glad we treat our allums well. That's important.

Archived