Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ Bailey

SnydertheHun

I am not so sure that Champ Bailey wants to resign with the Redskins. His refusal to even negotiate after the Skins initail offer leads me to believe he may not want to remain here.

As for Chris McCallister, NO WAY! He is a cancer and not very good anyway.

Originally posted by canadianfan56

The money we would spend signing 3 first round picks would easily exceed the money we would spend resigning champ!

That's completely inaccurate. There's no way 3 1st round picks will exceed $18M in SB unless all 3 picks are in the top 10. Not to mention you wouldn't get both 1st rounders in the same year anyways. And a team that's going to pickup Bailey isn't a top 10 team looking to give away multiple first round picks. They would be in the lower half of the draft.

Do your homework... and tell me what the signing bonuses would be for 2 picks in the 10-20 draft slots. And then admit how silly your argument is.

Originally posted by Die Hard

That's completely inaccurate. There's no way 3 1st round picks will exceed $18M in SB unless all 3 picks are in the top 10. Not to mention you wouldn't get both 1st rounders in the same year anyways. And a team that's going to pickup Bailey isn't a top 10 team looking to give away multiple first round picks. They would be in the lower half of the draft.

Do your homework... and tell me what the signing bonuses would be for 2 picks in the 10-20 draft slots. And then admit how silly your argument is.

Die hard~ they are growing every year(bonus'). Dwayne Robertson got 13mill bonus. Im sure two more 1st rounders would comand close to 6mill in bonus. His statement was not to far fetched not to mention Every pick in the draft is a gamble. It would be a very dumb move you are running the risk of trading Champ for Quenton Jammer and Gerard Warren. If this team lets champ go it wil be a bad move no matter how you look at it. He is the only Markee player we have right now best at his postion. You can not make a argument for any other player on our team being top 2 at their postion. Corner Back is pretty important. Like I said earlier you dont build a line like that overnight and everyteam in the league is trying to copy tampas style... let it go there is no way you go from 0 Dlinemen to 4 studs threw the draft NONE. The Jets have a hell of a pass rush is there D great lmao.

Champ is worth is weight in gold perhaps. But with the salary cap being what it is you have to make some tough choices. The contract he was offered, I believe was more than fair. The salary cap has to be split between 53 active players not to include dead money and players on the IR. If we pay him much more than that it would hurt us more than help us.

When they interviewed Champ on Comcast he said he was shocked because he never even got back to them about the first offer. He said he did not turn down the offer he is in a contract year unless he becomes Dion in his prime he will take the offer. THE REDSKINS stopped negotiations NOT CHAMP. I think it will be handled like Jansen and a deal will get dont a few games b4 he hits the market. Could you imagine him taking over for Taylor in philly:puke: :puke: I pray Champ is a skin for at least 5more years

RDSKNfaithfull,

I'm pretty sure the Post reported Champ turned down the cash, and he did a little b*tch*ng along the way. Then he stop negotiations because he didn't want it to be a distraction during the season.

I maybe wrong but I don't think so. Does anybody else remember that?:eaglesuck

Who knows? I can't think of one reason the Washington Post would lie about this topic but I guess it is possible. But I think I saw something on it on ESPN.com and/or the Redskins home page. On the other hand I can understand why Champ would want us to believe Vinny & Co. cut of talks. I'm not very computer smart but I'll try to search for the art. in the differant media sources even though I don't know how to add the links to my post yet.

I see a top flight shut down corner as the last piece of a great defense. I do not think you can build a defense around one.

The Ravens had good, not great (McAlister was still young) when they were the best.

I don't even remember the 1985-86 Bears' CBs.

I'm not sure the 1978 Steelers had corners, but that was a different era.

The Bucs have been solid at CB, but not great. That's why the play the cover two.

Great defenses are predicated on pressure. It comes from either the line or the LBs. Solid CBs can look great on such defenses, whereas great CBs can look average when the pressure is weak (Two words: Amani Toomer). Champ is great and I hope we resign him. However, if he gets huge money somewhere else and we get two first round picks in return, then I won't cry.

Unless he goes to Dallas, then I will cry like a baby.

Champ's going to Atlanta if he has his way. I talked to some friends down there before and after the Skins/Falcons game, and they said there's been talk of the Birds making a play for Champ. He (Champ) has a new home in the Atlanta area, is from that way, and will always be a Georgia icon.

The most likely scenario I see is a sign and trade deal. I was thinking, the Falcons should have a high first round pick next year... what about that pick and Patrick Kearney for Champ. You get the proven pass rushing DE and a solid #1. I don't know what Kearney's salary is, but just assume it's much smaller than what the Skins would have to shell out for Champ.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

We are not Tampa or Carolina, We wont be either The draft is a gamble, We dont have one dominate Dlineman and you want to take your chances on 4 lineman becoming Tampa like:doh: There are other ways be great on D than copy cat the latest trend.

I don't call having a dominant DL a trend, I call it a principle. This principle is that a strong DL makes EVERYTHING else better. This principle has proven itself over time.

The Steel Curtain

The Ravens

Doomday D

85 Bears

91 Skins

You could go on and on.

I'm NOT saying get rid of Champ, I am saying that the DL has to be THE priority. If we fix the DL, most all of our other problems go away.

Eagles Dline is not on Tampas level they Blitz a lot and yes have A GREAT! secondary. ................... Even Tampa, Rice came from Arizona, and Spires was a free agent pick up. Not the draft. Defensive lineman take time to develop more so than other postions and are always a gamble. Every year there is the next sapp.

Disagree with your first point and agree with your second.

Ref the eagles, your right, their D is not that good this year but that is because they have lost significant players to Free Agency and thought that their Secondary would be able to handle the job. You're right, they can't and that's because the DL has lost talent.

Ref getting players through FA vs the Draft, I say that neither are guarentees. Plenty of examples can be found on either side if this argument that demonstrate failures and successes. It really comes down to the quality of your Front Office, of which I'd say the verdict is still out on ours. That's why I would use both the draft and FA to upgrade our D as a whole and specifically the DL. Both DTs need to be upgraded and if Wynn becomes the 3rd DE due to a talent upgrade, so much the better.

Uh,snyder....The 78 steelers had Mel Blount...Hall of famer

I would take mel blount before champ any day of the week and twice on sunday....

Basically put....Blount was a stud!

Guys,we need to realize what really is important here!!

I love champ as much as anyone....But if we can come away with 2 first rounders this year and next then I'm jumping all over it...

We wouldn't even have to address the D-line in 1 year...We could grab 1 next year and then the year after that...

Plus,there's always the chance to grab a good to great corner in free agency...Maybe not champ good,but good enough to make plays with a good pass rush....

There's no I in team here guys...!!

Do the math?

Keep champ and sign him a monster contract....

Use first round pick on DT/DE

Use 2nd rounder on DT/DL or whatever we want!

Lose Champ but get 2 first rounders for his services

Sign best available corner out of free agency...

Use 1st round pick on DT/DE

Use other 1st rounder on Winslow or CB or best available pick

2nd rounders on down are used to fill gaps on our team.....

That was 2004 DRAFT!!!

Now on to 2005 draft!!!

Use first rounder on another DT/DE

use other first rounder on best player available and so on and so on....

Don't tell me that champ is irreplaceable...Cause he is ....

As a matter a fact...If we get 2 first rounders for him,that might be what the doctor ordered!!

I know 1st rounders are ?But it could mean that we grab 4 studs in the draft over the next 2 years and losing 1 in champ...

........And this does not count our 2nd to 7th round picks as well.....

smoot=second rounder

Jansen=second rounder

see what I mean!??

If champ want's unrealistic money for his services then let him go....Who's to say his play won't drop over the next few years...

Besides,he reminds of Stephen Davis....Great player,but just doesn't have game changing ability....

And that my friends is the difference between good teams and great teams...

We are not Tampa or Carolina, We wont be either The draft is a gamble, We dont have one dominate Dlineman and you want to take your chances on 4 lineman becoming Tampa like:doh:

WTF are you claiming? Building a defense around the line is not a trend. It's how just about every great defense was every built. Blount was great like many players for the 78 Steelers, but the core of that D was Greenwood and Mean Joe if memory serves. We don't need 4 studs on the line, but we need at least 1 surrounded by solid players. Right now we have 1 or 2 solid players surrounded by backups. If we had a strong front four, Lavar and Trotter would be awesome and our secondary would make a LOT more plays.

I could see Bailey going to the Falcons like someone mentioned. He's still loved here from his UGA days, and his family is here. The Falcons would probably let him play just enough reciever to create a buzz with the fans. I think the Skins would be better off if we got the draft picks. Smoot is shaping up to be a very good man corner, and there are always a couple of solid FA cb's every year.

Archived