Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7; Film Sessions: Hitting The Quarterback To Stop The Read-Option Is Stupid

KCClybun

In our debate on the read-option issue, Jcolon doubted my observation that Portis and other RBs got as much as they could and then got down to avoid the big hit. Here's Morris on the topic when asked if he has spoken to veteran running backs about defenses who will now adjust to him:

No, not from vets, but I have talked to some of them about just making your body last and not taking unnecessary hits, going down instead of fighting for the extra yard. I can take one or two extra hits off you, and sometimes fighting for those extra yards, you get that hit and then you’ve got a bruised rib or you’ve got this. It will actually keep you off the field. - A. Morris

jcolon1: I proved Robert does not run the same way a RB does (and I'm not referring to his form).  Therefore, it is not reasonable to conclude that a QB such as Robert running the ball would absorb the same level of punishment as a RB.

Defenders are going to nail a running QB given the chance, so I don't agree. But, I think we have milked this point.  

This is where we are disagreeing, I don't think either of our minds will change.  I do not believe that a QB is will to sacfice his body the same way a RB is.  I believe a QB would be much more likely to slide or get out of bounds, thus avoiding the punishment that a RB is built for and willing to take on.  Many of the run in those clips show RBs fighting through tackles, something you will not see in any of Robert's runs.

Those clips you linked are called highlights because they show action rarely seen. RBs don't slide, but the smart ones do get out of bounds when they have the chance rather than take on a hard hit unless they have a shot at a first down. They also often get down quick to avoid the hard hits. At least the smart ones do. 

Shanny doesn't want the RB's going out of bounds or sliding, he wants them to deliver punishment. Morris was referring to taking on 2-3 defenders at a time more so than sliding or avoiding contact. 

These articles are written by guys trying to make a name for themselves but also following the same line they always do and that is refute everything that works as a one hit wonder. The West Coast Offense at one time was considered as a passing fad and that it would never work in the NFL but here over 20 years later it is a staple in the NFL. The same thing as the passing game back when running was the main option. Passing was considered to be the last option. But that option has become another staple of the NFL. Everyone wants to say they will stop the read option by hitting the QB more but that isn't the case. The ones that say they know how to stop it actully have no clue. They are just as clueless as the next DC. Being discipline on defense is the answer to stopping any kind of offense. It may not stop every play but it can limit the big plays.

Some interesting numbers from the Washingtom Post:

In 2012, Griffin was hit 152 times. He was hit 49 times out of 70 plays designed to use his ability to run  (70%) either zone-read options or quarterback keepers. Compare that to 18 hits on 50 scrambles (36%) beyond the line of scrimmage on passing plays and 85 hits on 423 plays (20%) when in the pocket or behind the line of scrimmage.

Archived