Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Crossing the Pond for the Bears game. Local (mostly) non game-related advice sought!

my_friend_goo

Hi Folks,

After nearly 30 years of fandom, I'm finally in a position to take my Dad over to DC to see the Redskins play. Due to holiday availabilty and climate considerations, I've decided to make it the weekend of the Bears game (Oct 20), arriving in DC on the Friday and flying back to London on the Monday. I've been to FedEx before (he has not), staying in Dupont Circle on what was an even briefer trip. I've got some questions to ask those in the know relating to the trip:

Firstly, I was thinking of getting a hotel in the Arlington-Pentagon area (I know there's a thread here for hotels for the Bears game, but there's not a lot in there). Seems a bit cheaper out there, but still with plenty to do in terms of shops, restaurants etc. Most hotels are in walking distance of a metro station, enabling easy access to central DC and FedEx for the game. What's it like as an area? Do you have any other suggestions for cheaper areas which might be of interest to tourists (i.e. not too residential/industrial, metro links)?

Secondly, on the Friday night, I was planning on sampling some top quality American steak. I have done a bit of research into the best steak restaurants in DC, but wanted to know if anybody else had decent advice. I know Morton's is pricey, but good quality. How much could I expect to pay for two mains and two puddings, as well as a few beers to help wash them down? Anybody familiar with Ray's The Steaks and if so, any idea how it compares? Any other suggestions? Two things are important here: whilst I'm interested in top grade beef, my Dad doesn't eat beef for religious reasons so he'll need a decent alternative; I also love US craft beer and a decent selection would be appreciated.

On Saturday, we'll probably do the touristy thing and visit the major monuments. I've done this, but only had a morning to do it in, so would quite like to spend a bit more time there this time around. Any particular recommendations? Any suggestions for something to keep us entertained on the Saturday night? My Dad's in his late 50s and not in fantastic health, so we'll want something a little more subdued. Any good recommendations on restaurants in the area we're likely to be staying?

On the Sunday, it's all about the game! We'll be joining the Extremeskins tailgate, of that I'm certain. I'm the kind of guy who likes low risks, so I'll be resorting to Stubhub/Ticketmaster etc. to ensure that we have guaranteed tickets for the game, in hand before leaving London. I would quite like to catch the end of the 4pm kickoff games and watch the sunday night game, so any suggestions for decent sports bars would be appreciated. Last time, I went to Buffalo Billiards in Dupont Circle. It was ok enough, quietened down a bit for the late game so I'm prepared to go back, but if we're staying in Arlington, some more local suggestions would be appreciated.

As for the Monday, looks like we'll have some time to kill, so maybe we could go shopping. I am quite keen to get some beer to take home (would have to look into customs limits to see what I can take back). Any suggestions of some decent stores stocking a good range of US beers at a decent price? I'm sure it's easy enough to pick things up at the average supermarket, but again I don't really know what options I'll have if we're staying in Arlington. Again, if you're suggesting a different area to stay in, appropriate local suggestions would be helpful.

I think that's about it. Any answers would be really helpful for planning purposes. So far, all I've done is book the time off work and told my Dad's girlfriend, so she can be in on the surprise. I'm really looking forward to the game, seeing RG3 in action and predicting how many times DeAngelo Hall will pick off Cutler this time (4's the number to beat!).

Thanks in advance to anybody taking time to help me out.

Dude, your father should be a proud man.  Looking forward to meeting you.

Arlington/Pentagon/Crystal City is a pretty cool area.  Yes, there are several metro stops around the area.  Make sure you take the Yellow line from VA and hop back on the blue at L'enfant Plaza (as you can see... you save about 20 minutes by avoiding Foggy Bottom and GWU, etc):

washington_metromap.gif

I definitely prefer Ray's over Morton's. And Ray's has some delicious fried chicken if your dad can eat poultry. 

As for touristy stuff, I always recommend the Newseum. You have to pay to get in, but they have some really cool stuff, esp if you're interested in more recent history stuff.

As far as steak goes, Morton's is pricey but it's top shelf.  Ruth's Cris is also pricey and very good.  If you want the DC experience, I'd head in to town and get a half smoke and some cheese fries from "Ben's Chili Bowl" so long as you are not easily upset by heartburn ;)

Arlington and Alexandria are great spots for bars.  Just google it and you'll find several.  Many of them are European themed as well.

Good luck.

I definitely prefer Ray's over Morton's. And Ray's has some delicious fried chicken if your dad can eat poultry. 

As for touristy stuff, I always recommend the Newseum. You have to pay to get in, but they have some really cool stuff, esp if you're interested in more recent history stuff.

I second that, and the Spy Museum is very cool as well.  You'll need to pay for that too.  I believe they are $20 each per person.

Thanks for the advice so far, especially the Metro shortcut one.

Without Dad, I would probably not be a Redskins fan, let alone an American Football fan, so I guess this is the best way to thank him for it. He can afford to do it, but he has a funny attitude to money that confounds everyone but himself. Basically, if I don't do this, he may never see the Redskins in DC. His health isn't going to get better and I'm determined not to let that be a regret if and when it's too late. Not the best year for it, I'm also moving house AND buying the family car, but I do have funds and the approval of my easy-going wife.

I know Morton's won't be cheap, but this is a one-off for the time being. I've paid a lot for meals before and think good food is worth the money I just wish they'd be a little more forthcoming with their prices so I know just how much it'll cost. Having said that, I'm sure Dad will want to make his contributions to the trip and he can keep those until we're there ;). I determined for this to be a surprise until he gets to Heathrow on the Thursday night.

You likely wouldn't forget this as a dining experience:

http://www.minibarbyjoseandres.com/

photo-2.jpg

res-minibar-pic.jpg

minibar by José Andrés is a study in avant-garde cooking and one of the nation's most exciting dining experiences. An imaginative menu offered in an intimate setting, the creations combine art and science as well as tradition and technique.

Here you will be taken on a culinary journey. Each bite is designed to thrill the senses by pushing the limits of what we have come to expect, and what is possible from food.

res-barmini-pic.jpg

barmini, José's culinary c0cktail lab in the space adjoining minibar. More than one hundred artisan ****tails are crafted and served with the same care and attention to detail as the dishes at minibar.

As the center of culinary research and development for ThinkFoodGroup, minibar is also the creative testing ground for all of José's concepts and projects. Working alongside José for more than six years, Chef Ruben García leads the Research and Development team with Chef Aitor Lozano, both alumnae of elBullí

To make a reservation at minibar, an avant-garde dining experience- send an email to reserve@minibarbyjoseandres.com.

Please include your preferred date, seating time (6/6:30 PM or 8:30/9 PM), the number in your party (from 1 to 6 people), and your full name and telephone number within the reservation request.

We are now accepting reservations requests for the 2013 Fall/Winter season.

Feel free to inquire about any last minute July availability. The Fall/Winter season runs September 3 - December 30.

minibar will be closed August 4 - September 2 for Research & Development and will accept reservations via email only. minibar will also be closed on November 28 & 29, and December 22-26th for the holidays.

The 2014 Spring/Summer season runs January 2 - August 4 and Spring/Summer reservations will be available December 1 until July 31.

A credit card is required to hold your reservation. Please do not send credit card information in your reservation e-mail. For any other questions, please see our FAQ section.

For more information on reserving José's Table, please mention this in your reservations request.

df0.png

The menu price is $225 per person (excluding beverage, tax and
gratuity). Beverage pairing options are available at $75, $125, and $200
(excluding tax and gratuity). A non-alcoholic beverage pairing is
available for $45. A beverage pairing is not required but is highly
recommended.

Ballpark pricing for Mortons ...

$40-50 for a steak and then side dishes are a la carte at about $10+ each.

You can spend what you want on wine, but by the glass is around $10.

So if you don't go crazy you are talking about $240+ for two including service/tip.

Second:

http://seasonalpantry.com/sy95.png

Seasonal Pantry hosts a multi-course dinner for 12 guests Wednesday through Saturday evenings right in the middle of the market. Using mostly local ingredients, Dan cooks simple, fresh dishes right in front of his guests.

The menu is set, and the price ranges from $90 to $135 and includes wine, tax and tip.

Dinner starts promptly at 8p. Please arrive at 7:45p. We do not wait.

(press link): http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/travel/restaurant-report-seasonal-pantry-in-washington.html?_r=2&

By day this tiny storefront, in a neighborhood not quite there yet but on the way, is a rustic market that has a 15-foot ceiling and a brick wall laden with shelves of jars of homemade dressed meats, pickled ramps, spiced raisin preserve and strawberry rhubarb syrup.

But when the sun goes down, the two butcher-block display tables are pushed together, and an intimate dining space for a small supper club takes shape.

... open-kitchen ... dinner guests are just steps from the commercial induction burners, sink and prep counter.

04BITES-articleLarge.jpg

On Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, Mr. O’Brien prepares a five-course meal for 10 to 12 people. The menus are changed every two weeks and are based on local farm produce. “We try to keep with the season,”

Past menu items have included artichoke barigoule, snails, scallops and pappardelle with uni.

On one recent autumn evening, just after the rain stopped and cool air drifted in from the street, Mr. O’Brien introduced the evening’s fall theme. Guests pecked at two-foot-long, stick-thin crostini speckled with mini-salt crystals while generous pairings of Côtes du Rhône and chardonnay were poured from large carafes.

A small plate of squid topped with cellophane noodles was followed by a rich cardamom-flan-based soup layered with apple and cream. Then finely braised, fried and crispy pig’s ear dressed with kale and a pineapple vinaigrette pickled with mustard seed. “You’ll get a sweet hit of fire,” Mr. O’Brien told guests.

As each course was served, silence descended over the table. Sliced galantine of chicken with black beluga lentils and a side of butternut squash was the most technical dish and a splendid prelude to a hearty stroganoff made with local beef, mushrooms, pickles and dill.

A chocolate tart with cabernet, vinegar and a dash of sea salt arrived next. Then came handmade chocolates with Grand Marnier and lime ganache and others with a coffee ganache.

Seasonal Pantry, 1314 ½ Ninth Street NW;

(202) 713-9866;seasonalpantry.com.

Dinner served Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights at 8 p.m.
One menu. Five courses with wine, tax and tip included, $97.
Online reservations and advance payment required.

Corcaigh - Thanks for the pricing for Morton's. That's fairly comparable to the Gaucho chain and approximately what I was expecting/prepared to pay.

Monk4ThaHall - Minibar looks amazing and definitely something that I would appreciate. However, with everything else I'm shelling out for, that really would break the bank. Bistro Lepic is worthy of consideration, even if I am bored of French cuisine.

Archived