Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Section 3 of DOMA overruled by Supreme Court, 5-4

Sticksboi05

Something that I'm still not clear on..if two people get a SSM in a state where it's allowed, and then move to another state where it's not allowed - does this new ruling on DOMA mean that their marriage must be recognized (for tax and other purposes) in that state where SSM isn't allowed?

Also..would the same thing apply to people deliberately getting married in SSM allowed states but still residing in non-SSM states?

Something that I'm still not clear on..if two people get a SSM in a state where it allowed, and then move to another state where it's not allowed - does this new ruling on DOMA mean that their marriage must be recognized (for tax and other purposes) in that state where SSM isn't allowed?

Also..would the same think apply to people deliberately getting married in SSM allowed states but still residing in non-SSM states?

No , that is in a different part of DOMA ....section 2 I think,

just like the VRA decision it only invalidates one part

Something that I'm still not clear on..if two people get a SSM in a state where it's allowed, and then move to another state where it's not allowed - does this new ruling on DOMA mean that their marriage must be recognized (for tax and other purposes) in that state where SSM isn't allowed?

Also..would the same thing apply to people deliberately getting married in SSM allowed states but still residing in non-SSM states?

As I understand it, if Bert and Ernie get married in California, and then move to Oklahoma, then Oklahoma won't consider them married. (Although a court challenge based on the "full faith and credence" clause might say something about that. But this lawsuit didn't make that claim).

California can't tell Oklahoma who to marry.

But, THE FEDS will consider them married. (Oklahoma cannot make California's marriage license disappear).

Archived