Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7 : Redskins Off-Season Should Lead To A Promising Run

Lavarleap56

The measured approach taken by Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan this off-season should eliminate any lingering concerns held by fans that the Redskins are not heading in the right direction. Coming off a magical 7-game winning streak to capture their first NFC East title in over a decade, the conventional wisdom seemed to be that the Redskins spend all of their available resources to tighten up the secondary for 2013. But, thankfully 2013 does not appear to be the target in the minds of the decision-makers in Ashburn.

In my opinion, addressing their needs with great players would have set them further back long-term. The team was already handicapped coming into the off-season with the second year of an $18 million dollar salary cap penalty. If Allen and Shanahan had opted to restructure more contracts or cut younger contributors to free up the space to sign a big name or two in the secondary, they may have been just unintentionally extending the cap penalty into future seasons by limiting their options. Instead, the Redskins re-signed the core group of players that helped them win a division and added the best players available when they drafted last month.

Read More :http://httr24-7.com/blog/redskin-off-season-should-lead-to-promising-run/

You guys all do a great job. LL and KC are top shelf on X's and O's, I like to call Ryan the "big picture" guy. He's like a lot of us on here, only more so (if that makes any sense).

This was my favorite line in the post:

They will enter 2014 with a dynamic franchise quarterback who is entering his prime, the luxury of finally having their full salary cap allotment to work with, and a relatively young team that has been together in the same system for several years

Perfect. And the examples given were perfect. I'd add one thing to this... that playoff game against Seattle... valuable experience. Even in a loss, this team got valuable experience in preparation, game pace, and what will likely be a common opponent in this years playoffs.

There's a lot to like about this offseason. In house talent that was "good enough" to start slowly and then win 7 straight games, which in turn allowed us to grasp a bit in the draft.

This is a great time to be a Redskins fan for sure. Thanks for posting guys, and keep up the good work.

Love looking at it this way. I feel we've turned a corner and can be a playoff team perennially now. I think Ryan is spot on...this regime has us on the path to a championship, maybe several.

Yeah, the window is definitely open. I'm not expecting it this year, but you certainly can't discount it. Especially if just one of our secondary draft picks/additions pans out to be a quality starter, that changes the defense dramatically.

They've been fiscally responsible from the get go, and their drafting looks to be on on upward curve from good to ? This years draftees are a bunch of cherry on top guys that are being added to a squad that won the division with a lot of back ups starting. The pass catching and pass rush additions take two position groups to another level and we added 3 big talented guys to our DB group, all without a 1st round pick.

Not only does the man have a plan, the plan is a good one.

It should. There's nothing that should prevent the Redskins from repeating, if not doing better this season, except for the Redskins themselves.

The only concern I might have is the players getting that little taste of success, and begin going into games thinking they've already won before the 1st snap, getting that ****y attitude, which will doom them from the get-go.

I hope they have the desire to do and get better, to want more of the success and pride, to be even more hungrier, more focused, and more determined to win.

Personally, I think Mike has gotten it into the players' heads regarding keeping their cool yet keeping the intensity high; the perfect case was the turkey game against Dallas, where Hall and Bryant were face to face; everyone just KNEW Hall was gonna take a swing. The ability for him to keep his cool in that situation, against Bryant, showed me that Mike has changed the mentality of the team.

With some adjustments in the secondary, and a demanding QB, it should be a wild season, and i'm getting my popcorn ready!

Last year's team had several missing pieces that give me hope for this season.

Imo for part of the season we had a lack of pass rush that exposed the secondary, specifically the Safety play.

We missed Orakpo's presence as a pass rusher; Carriker's absence on the DL was also felt.

But as the season wore on members of the DL stepped up.

Baker and Jenkins specifically stepped up bigtime.

Rob Jackson emerged not only as a solid pass rusher but a playmaker with a very good instincts in zone coverage.

During the playoff push the defense was turning the ball over and not giving up a ton of points despite having merely average (maybe even below average) level of play from the Safety spots.

This season the defense will return its best pass rusher in Orkapo, and solid rotational/depth DL in Carriker.

But imo the key for the defense success next year is in the hands of 2 middle/late round picks: Rambo and Thomas.

If they are merely average players then this defense has taken a big step forward.

the expectations for next season rests on our two QBs and especially on the health of RGIII. I feel we have 3 winnable games (out of 4) in the beginning of the season where RGIII doesn't need to be in there, but after the bye he need to come in and be at the level he played last year before the injury. If that happens we are the team to beat in the NFC East. We win the division and then is up in the air what we do in the playoffs.

As someone said, our two picks at safety is the key for our D. But for me its also the injuries. If we can keep them from happening to our start players, I think we have as good a shot as anyone in making the deep run in the playoffs.

Archived