Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The High Risk/High Reward draft list

The thread about Tyrann Mathieu got me thinking...Who would be the on the "High Risk/High Reward" list in this year's draft?

And part two: What round would you be willing to risk to draft them?

First, of course, I gotta come up with a list lol...which I can't do on my own. So outside of Mathieu, who else would be on this list for the draft? DeAndre Hopkins, maybe?

Cordarelle Patterson

David Amerson

Eric Reid

Shamarko Thomas (size is the risk, the reward is his usual play)

Marquise Goodwin (raw...but so fast)

Lavar Edwards (you getting the backup or the guy who was unfairly behind a possible two 1st rounders?)

Cornelius Washington (elite measurables but looks stiff on tape?)

Dion Jordan (pass rushers from his conference usually don't do too well)

Margus Hunt (elite measurables but too old and raw?)

I disagree about DeAndre Hopkins being high risk.

Ooohh, nice thread, Califan. I'm totally college football illiterate so this should be a nice learning experience before the draft. I hope people not only post why the guy they list is a risk, but also post some highlights of these guys so we can see what potential rewards there are.

I'll add some possible late round nuggets that I like:

Chris Thompson, RB from Florida State. Basically a 3rd down or utility back, but quicker than an oiled up snake. Big injury risk. Feeble. (6th round or later).

Phil Lutzenkirchen, TE from Auburn. Was hurt last year and after Cam Newton left, he had no QB to help him. Easily would've been a top 3 TE in this class. Another injury risk, but he's a stud. I think he'll be okay. (6th round or later).

Though, these would be "dibs" picks if used late in the draft to make sure you don't have to court them through undrafted FA.

Cordarelle Patterson

What makes him a high risk? And what round would you take him in? NFL.com has him worthy of a 1st round pick...

---------- Post added April-22nd-2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Ooohh, nice thread, Califan. I'm totally college football illiterate so this should be a nice learning experience before the draft.

That's me lol :yes:...

I hope people not only post why the guy they list is a risk, but also post some highlights of these guys so we can see what potential rewards there are.

I hope so, too...I just posted a highlight video of AZ's first choice listed (see above)...

---------- Post added April-22nd-2013 at 04:34 PM ----------

David Amerson

Ok, I get the risk/reward ratio here lol...what round would you take him in and feel comfortable?

He's making a list, and checking it twice. Gonna find out whose naughty...AND THAT'S IT.

I'm ignoring injury guys, and just picking the bad apples.

RBs:

Christine Michael - Suspended for a game for not following team rules, ejected from another for throwing a punch, and slept through two meetings at the combine.

Cierre Wood - got suspended for two games for violating team rules.

WRs:

DeAndre Hopkins - Poop incident. Designated nickname - DeAndre Poopsikins.

DaRick Rogers - Bar brawl, shouted at coaches, drug tests, suspended indefinitely, a whole menagerie, honestly, it's quite beautiful from the right angle.

TE:

Kelce - Suspended a year for violating team rules, not sure what though.

No FBs, OTs, OCs

OG:

I'm giving Hugh Thorton a pass on his stuff. He saw some things no one should have ever had to see. Poor kid.

DT:

Montori Hughes - Just seems to be in and around a lot of altercations.

DE:

Damontre Moore - Weed.

Cornelius Washington - DUI and reckless driving.

Armonty Bryant - Sold weed to undercover cops. Twice. Not too bright, that one.

ILB:

Alec Ogletree - DUI. Suspended for team rules. Stole some stuff.

Kiko Alonso - DUI, burglary, trespassing then passing out in someone else's apartment.

OLB:

Ty Powell - Got caught drinking, also charged with battery against girlfriend. Seems to have straightened up though.

CB:

Tyrann Mathieu - If you don't know what he did, then I'm not telling you.

Jordan Poyer - Got in an altercation and charged with misdemeanor criminal trespassing.

Sanders Comming - Battery after altercation with female friend

Micah Hyde - Public intoxication

S:

Bacarri Rambo - 4 game suspension for fail drug test

Duke Williams - driving without license and with expired tags, traffic tickets, off-field fight with teammate.

Ray Ray Armstrong - that whole booster thing down in Miami

The ultimate high risk/ high reward .....

We sacrifice this years second rounder for a first next year.

Even at the back end of the first, which is doubtless were it would be if we got a willing trade partner, the chances are you can pick up a better caliber of player than picking in the lower half of the second this year. We'll have $ 40 + million in cap space at the last count to attack FA with a vengeance. And you continue to add quality depth this year ready for a serious assault in 2014 with the FA's, more experience young guys we already have assembled; and a full compliment of draft picks next year.

Risk this year for a better reward next.

Best high risk, high reward I got. :pfft:

Hail.

Even at the back end of the first, which is doubtless were it would be if we got a willing trade partner, the chances are you can pick up a better caliber of player than picking in the lower half of the second this year. We'll have $ 40 + million in cap space at the last count to attack FA with a vengeance. And you continue to add quality depth this year ready for a serious assault in 2014 with the FA's, more experience young guys we already have assembled; and a full compliment of draft picks next year.

Hail.

Wait...what's the high risk, then? :ols:...

Bring Corey Lynch on board, go BPA 3rd through 7th, and I'm on board with this plan.

Think about it, trade Cousins for a 1st too, and suddenly the team with no 1sts in 2014 has TWO!

And the high risk is of fans rioting at Fedex during the draft day party.

Bring Corey Lynch on board, go BPA 3rd through 7th, and I'm on board with this plan.

Think about it, trade Cousins for a 1st too, and suddenly the team with no 1sts in 2014 has TWO!

And the high risk is of fans rioting at Fedex during the draft day party.

Yeah. What my GM said.

*And y'all thought I hadn't seriously thought this through .....

Hail.

Hail.

Don't think it's worth it. This is a playoff team that is a couple quality DBs and a healthy QB away from having a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl THIS YEAR, if not as a conference favorite then at least as a dark horse. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if RG3 had stayed healthy and we had some better safeties and a CB last season, we would have gotten past Seattle and quite possibly Atlanta... When you can add to that right now by possibly drafting a safety, you've got to do it. The future matters, but with this team so does right now.

Shanahan will indeed take risks if he sees a ton of raw talent. But he tends to do that when he feels his team can absorb the risk. I guess he feels the Skins can now.

Correct. I also have to believe they took him with the thoughts of him becoming a FS in their back of their mind in case the CB experiment doesn't work out.

Archived