Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just the Stats: Washington Redskins vs. Dallas Cowboys

Forehead

And so week 17 is upon us, a win and in situation against the Dallas Cowboys. I love it. As before, I've been doing this thread each week for the past six weeks, and the winning streak goes on, so despite the fact that these get few replies and ultimately mean nothing to the team taking the field, I refuse to change up my routine at all. Call me superstitious, but I don't want to mess with any possible good karma. With that being said, let's see how we match up with the hated Cowboys going into the last week of the season.

Redskins Rushing YPG = 162.3 (1) vs. Cowboys Rush Defense YPG = 115.3 (17) = Advantage Redskins

Redskins Passing YPG = 222.3 (18) vs. Cowboys Pass Defense YPG = 239.8 (21) = Push

Redskins Total YPG = 384.7 (5) vs. Cowboys Total Defense YPG = 355.1 (19) = Advantage Redskins

Redskins Scoring PPG = 27.2 (4) vs. Cowboys Defense PPG = 24.8 (23) = Major Advantage Redskins

Cowboys Rushing YPG = 77.7 (31) vs. Redskins Rush Defense YPG = 95.5 (5) = DOOM for Cowboys

Cowboys Passing YPG = 302.2 (3) vs. Redskins Pass Defense YPG = 287.7 (30) = DOOM for Redskins

Cowboys Total YPG = 379.9 (6) vs. Redskins Total Defense YPG = 383.1 (28) = Major Advantage Cowboys

Cowboys Scoring PPG = 23.9 (14) vs. Redskins Defense PPG = 24.7 (21) = Edge Cowboys

Redskins Punting Average = 44.1 (25) vs. Cowboys Punt Return Average = 11.0 (6) = Major Advantage Cowboys

Cowboys Punting Average = 44.9 (22) vs. Redskins Punt Return Average = 9.6 (15) = Edge Redskins

Redskins Kickoff Return Average = 23.0 (17) vs. Cowboys Kickoff Return Average = 20.9 (26) = Edge Redskins*

Redskins Turnover Margin = +14 (4) vs. Cowboys Turnover Margin = -10 (25) = Major Advantage Redskins

Redskins Penalties PG = 7.6 (30) vs. Cowboys Penalties PG = 7.73 (31) = Push

Redskins Sacks = 30 (23) vs. Cowboys Sacks Allowed = 34 (17) = Push

Cowboys Sacks = 33 (17) vs. Redskins Sacks Allowed = 32 (14) = Push

Redskins 3rd Down Conversion % = 35.2% (25) vs. Cowboys 3rd Down Defense = 39.8% (21) = Push

Cowboys 3rd Down Conversion % = 43.2% (5) vs. Redskins 3rd Down Defense = 43.6% (31) = DOOM for Redskins

Redskins 1st Downs PG = 21.13 (9) vs. Cowboys 1st Downs Allowed PG = 19.53 (17) = Edge Redskins

Cowboys 1st Downs PG = 21.2 (8) vs. Redskins 1st Downs Allowed PG = 21.33 (25) = Advantage Cowboys

*Just an FYI, I compared Kickoff Return Averages rather than Kickoff Average vs. Return Average, since there are so many touchbacks.

As for the designations at the end, it went like this. 1-6 ranks difference was a push, 7-12 ranks was an edge, 13-18 was an advantage, 19-24 was a major advantage, and 24+ is DOOM (a word I rather enjoy).

So that it. There's a lot of color on both sides in favor of the offenses, we enjoy some special teams advantages, they have advantages on downs, especially 3rd downs. Pounding Morris up the middle is essential...the Cowboys have been devastasted up the middle on defense. Their NT, Jay Ratliff, is out. Their starting middle linebackers, Sean Lee and Bruce Carter, both on IR. Starting safety Barry Church is on IR. 3rd cornerback Orlando Scandrick is on IR. And now Demarcus Ware is banged up. The Skins need to impose themselves on Dallas as much as possible, wear them down, and take their hearts. A few shots from RG3, like on Thanksgiving, wouldn't hurt either.

They're going to pass on us, no doubt about it. We juse have to limit their points as best we can. It can be done, and I have a good feeling it will be, but Dallas is a dangerous team on offense.

I've seen some Cowboys fans yakking about how they have Demarco Murray back for this game...whatever. This will be his 10th game of the year, so he's missed 6. You don't get to 31st in the league in rushing because your RB1 missed six games unless you have zero depth at the position. He's had one 100 yard game this season. You get that way because your offensive line doens't block well and your QB throws a whole lot. I'm not worried about Murray at all, I'm worried about Dez Bryant.

This is the one that concerns me the most. If we are doomed. Truly, it will be this.

But if we run the ball more than pass, which I see it happening more because of the weather, and pick up a lot of 1st downs. Romo sits to pee will be sitting on the bench and counting how many yards he could have had.

If we lose this game, its because we couldn't stop Dez, Witten, and Austin. Not worried about their defense or run game. Their biggest strength is our biggest weakness. If we can get Romo sits to pee to turn the ball over, we'll win. If he sits back there with all day to throw, it's going to be interesting.

I've seen some Cowboys fans yakking about how they have Demarco Murray back for this game...whatever. This will be his 10th game of the year, so he's missed 6. You don't get to 31st in the league in rushing because your RB1 missed six games unless you have zero depth at the position. He's had one 100 yard game this season. You get that way because your offensive line doens't block well and your QB throws a whole lot. I'm not worried about Murray at all, I'm worried about Dez Bryant.

All they do is throw, they can't run

After the last 20 years, I still cant shake my Norvousness when it comes to the Cowboys. I think something about that 10 game losing streak to them has scarred me permanently when it comes to games with them. I always expect us to find a way to lose...

Our best hope is that we can run alot of long 10-12 drives against them, score TDs and keep Romo sits to pee and Dez on the sidelines. Those two have been unstoppable the past few weeks. If we stop them for a few FGs, and win turnovers, the game is ours.... somehow, I just dont see this game as anything other than a nailbiter to the end.

We win this one, perhaps I can finally be cured of my Norvousness. :)

I don't know if I agree with this:

"Redskins Scoring PPG = 27.2 (4) vs. Cowboys Defense PPG = 24.8 (23) = Major Advantage Redskins"

I think this stat is skewed because of the the pass defense. Teams just weren't running against the Skins, because why would they, when they can throw for 350 yards with ease.

And when a team has a good running back and they decided to run, they've been successful. Ahmad Bradshaw and Ray Rice both went over 100 yards, and they both carried the ball at least 20 times.

I think with DeMarco Murray healthy, the Cowboys will have a lot more than the 35 rushing yards they had last game.

If we lose this game, its because we couldn't stop Dez, Witten, and Austin. Not worried about their defense or run game. Their biggest strength is our biggest weakness. If we can get Romo sits to pee to turn the ball over, we'll win. If he sits back there with all day to throw, it's going to be interesting.

Cue the 6-0 loss. :ols:

I don't know if I agree with this:

"Redskins Scoring PPG = 27.2 (4) vs. Cowboys Defense PPG = 24.8 (23) = Major Advantage Redskins"

I think this stat is skewed because of the the pass defense. Teams just weren't running against the Skins, because why would they, when they can throw for 350 yards with ease.

And when a team has a good running back and they decided to run, they've been successful. Ahmad Bradshaw and Ray Rice both went over 100 yards, and they both carried the ball at least 20 times.

I think with DeMarco Murray healthy, the Cowboys will have a lot more than the 35 rushing yards they had last game.

I'm not sure what you highlighted corresponds to your comment. The stat you highlighted shows that Dallas' defense is porous enough from a scoring perspective that the Skins should meet or exceed their season average in points.

Archived